• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

This is quite a worrying development given the 4090 has only been out for 5 minutes. It’s one thing being prepared to spend a lot of money on this but it makes you wonder how prevalent this issue might become over the longer term, or worse still failing just passed the warranty period. As Jay says there is a shed ton of power going through those connectors and without any special right angled adaptor the cable could reposition or slip over time (and with heat) without the owners knowledge unless constant checks are being made.

This is quite a worrying development given the 4090 has only been out for 5 minutes. It’s one thing being prepared to spend a lot of money on this but it makes you wonder how prevalent this issue might become over the longer term, or worse still failing just passed the warranty period. As Jay says there is a shed ton of power going through those connectors and without any special right angled adaptor the cable could reposition or slip over time (and with heat) without the owners knowledge unless constant checks are being made.
3090ti uses same connector and uses more power by default and nothing wrong happened. Maybe its a bad batch of adapter or something - from the pictures of 2 burnt cards, it seems that power socket is intact and the problem lies on adapter.
As I said, I was deliberately pumping 550W for 2 hours on a cable from Asus Thor and it was barely warm to the touch, so there is no contact issue.
My bet is on a bad batch of adapters - we will see soon enough.

Nvidia need to acknowledge and ship us out a replacement 90 degree connector. I don't have a thermal camera and I'm not touching that wire but mine was cramped up, bending after 10mm. I've taken the side case off but to get it all straightened out there's now a mass of wires sticking out 50mm. It looks ridiculous and a perfect analogy of this situation

its got to do with the tiny surface area of the connectors, but thats the issue with the atx 3 spec not the card, as its a badly designed spec..
i read somewhere that intel wasnt really enthusiastic abt the spec but was forced by nvidia/amd because both parties believe graphic cards will be pushing 600w by 2024/25
intel is pushing the 12VO spec instead and wanted amd/nvidia to address power spikes locally inside the graphic card without requiring a special psu to accommodate for teh same
so i wont be surprised if amd too uses the same connector for rdna3

my best guess is intel would rework the 12VHPWR connection and release that under a new spec ATX3.1 which should happen quickly as the ATX 3 standard looks very likely to be junked quickly

Any made the move from the 3090 to 4090? If so, much of a difference running at 4K or 1440p in your own personal experience?
For me I went from a 1080ti to a 3090, then a 3090 to a 4090 and honestly I think the uplift from the 3090 to a 4090 was far more impacting. I felt on the 3090 the frames weren’t where I wanted them to be at 4K on most games, however the majority of games I can do now at 4K60/120 and it’s insane.

Cheers mate, guess the glass side is coming off tomorrow then so I can straighten it out a bit.
your bend didn't look too bad, mine was worse. i've took the side panel off my pc now, the cable is fairly straight for atleast the 1st 35mm. i will still buy the right angled adapter though as i don't want to leave my pc open as i have an old dog with dementia who wonders about the house and gets into awkward postitions and small spaces.

your bend didn't look too bad, mine was worse. i've took the side panel off my pc now, the cable is fairly straight for atleast the 1st 35mm. i will still buy the right angled adapter though as i don't want to leave my pc open as i have an old dog with dementia who wonders about the house and gets into awkward postitions and small spaces.
Yea’ it didn’t feel too hot to touch, I’ve pulled it up so it’s more horizontal now. I just hope the 90 adapters don’t sell out instantly. Ahhh mate that’s sad about your doggo :(

On this whole CPU bottleneck thing....
I had a play on F1 22 with my 3900x and 4090 FE. 1440P UW 120 Hz monitor.
If I set the graphics even on high & just switch off RTX, I get well above my monitors max refresh rate, even in the most demanding replay mode.
As soon as I turn on RTX it drops as low as 70 fps.
So I'm not CPU bound to 150+ hz (from my testing), which I need to enable at most medium graphics and no RTX to hit.

So I'm not really CPU bound at all as I want to play with high graphics & RTX on.
I suggest everyone does similar before spending much £££ on a new CPU. Dont just run synthetic benchmarks.

I worry about these 90deg adapters, more contact points for failure with the smaller pins inside it. Would rather maintain a straight cable directly into the card with only one 12+4pin contact.
All it will take is one poorly manufactured loose one like an old 4 pin molex.

Back
Top Bottom