• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Does the new connector not have a 'locking pin' type of arrangement like the old style connectors?
That was my thought also.
I've "pinned" out thousands of automotive connectors (installing factory fit tow bars etc etc) on brand new cars, and every single one had the pins locked in so they couldn't be pulled out from stress.

Soldato
I'll repeat myself. Price is what you pay value is what you get. I got VALUE and ENJOYMENT for me owning that card for the duration I did. The fact you couldn't get the 3080 even a year ago without paying scalper prices throws the £649 RRP out the window.

Good for you but it doesn't refute my point.

Soldato
My Cablemods cable turned up today :D will still need an adapter to get it perfectly straight but this will have to do for now as with the side panel on it starts to compress the cable a little bit but no worse than the Nvidia one and that hasn't melted in 2 weeks of use :cry: Its so much nicer having a single cable to deal with and get a nice clean run to the psu in the back where it terminates to 3 x 8 pin ( 600w if needed ) .

20221025-151322.jpg

So how much tubing did you get through before you got the CPU runs perfect? I'm having anxiety just thinking of trying to get the silicon out after finishing those bends.

Soldato
Holy bejesus Plague Tale Requiem during a couple of scenes maxed out 4k with DLSS quality honestly went down to 48fps due to CPU bottlenecks with a 4090.

Uncharted was pretty much 120fps the whole game without DLSS though.

To be clear. Changing from 5900X to 13900K @ 6ghz or 7950X3D will not clear these CPU bottlenecks. No core was over 75% it's just not optimized.

Last edited:
Associate
So how much tubing did you get through before you got the CPU runs perfect? I'm having anxiety just thinking of trying to get the silicon out after finishing those bends.
3 pipes in total but used 2 of them ... the 1st came out perfect , 2nd was wrong 3rd got spot on :D they are pretty easy to make tbh just consist of a 90 deg bend followed by a 180 then a 90 off that pointing towards the block. The reason a done them like that is the inlet and outlet are back to front in comparison to the disto plate so the tradition 2 90 deg bends don't really work ( flow wrong way ) so had to come up with a way of swapping them round and this is what i came up with :D i use a pipe cutter that gives very clean cuts with very little debris left , quick sanding to the end and flush them out and good to go .

Soldato
Holy bejesus Plague Tale Requiem during a couple of scenes maxed out 4k with DLSS quality honestly went down to 48fps due to CPU bottlenecks with a 4090.

To be clear. Changing from 5900X to 13900K @ 6ghz or 7950X3D will not clear these CPU bottlenecks. No core was over 75% it's just not optimized.
It is made by the same people that made msfs so what do you expect? :cry:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I don't think plague tale 2 can be used as a benchmark for CPU utilisation. It's Asobo's own engine, it's very good, but the engine does have moments of stutter infrequently as it loads a section as you play. I'm not at 4K but at 3440x1440 max everything and DLSS QUality it's hovering around the 100fps mark usually, whilst only in one instance of the whole game did it drop to 51fps which was when you have to push that cart around a massive fire outside, but even then that was GPU bound not CPU.

Same with Spiderman, their own engine, but regular CPU spiking and generally high CPU usage for seemingly no reason.

My recent revelation/discovery is that Doom Eternal's engine is the only engine out right now that is pretty much 100% optimised and should be the benchmark engine for all testing for everything lol. That engine is over 150fps without any DLSS and with RT enabled in ultra nightmare quality....

Last edited:
Associate

You shouldn't be surprised. It's not our first rodeo - new hardware comes out, destroys older tittles in performance and soon after new games come out that put it back on the level of previous hardware not by how good they look or what tech they use but because of publishers skimping on optimisation and just expect us to buy faster and faster hardware (with some exceptions here and there, though rare). It's a race we can't win, as consumers.

Man of Honour
Maybe not :o

AMD Won’t Use Gen5 16-Pin “12VHPWR” Power Connectors On Radeon RX 7000 “RDNA 3” GPUs​

AMD Goes The Safer Route, Drops Gen5 16-Pin Connector Plans For Their Radeon RX 7000 "RDNA 3" GPUs​

https://wccftech.com/amd-wont-use-gen5-16-pin-12vhpwr-power-connector-on-radeon-rx-7000-rdna-3-gpus/

If the new 12VHPWR power connectors are a fire risk why are NVidia still allowed to continue selling 4090s until this is fixed.

At least AMD have got the right idea.

This problem must have been known about for many months because AMD chose to stick with the old 8 pin connectors.

Associate
It's not so much "smaller contact area" but rather a pin that has pulled out slightly will create a tiny gap and introduce arcing. This may not be visible to the eye.

This creates heat as the electricity jumps from pin to cable contact and heats up the air between the two.

it would be touching, just probably not enough contact surface area to be able to handle the load and cause a build up of heat - if it wasn't touching I don't think it would be a problem/you'd not get power.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If the new 12VHPWR power connectors are a fire risk why are NVidia still allowed to continue selling 4090s until this is fixed.

At least AMD have got the right idea.

This problem must have been known about for many months because AMD chose to stick with the old 8 pin connectors.
I stick by my thought that EVGA knew of this sort of thing and raised it with nvidia only to be met with "don't worry bro" like Brendan did to J2C.

Rup

Rup

Associate
If AMD are changing their power connector now then clearly the cards arent built. So be lucky to get them before xmas.
May explain why Nov 3 is just a reveal now.

Soldato
I stick by my thought that EVGA knew of this sort of thing and raised it with nvidia only to be met with "don't worry bro" like Brendan did to J2C.
That email to J2C from Brendan just smacked of arrogance.
This will blow up in Nvidia's face big time I reckon, with at the very least new cables being sent out or a forced recall due to saftey, probably in the US first.

Reactions: mrk
Back
Top Bottom