• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
My Cablemods cable turned up today :D will still need an adapter to get it perfectly straight but this will have to do for now as with the side panel on it starts to compress the cable a little bit but no worse than the Nvidia one and that hasn't melted in 2 weeks of use :cry: Its so much nicer having a single cable to deal with and get a nice clean run to the psu in the back where it terminates to 3 x 8 pin ( 600w if needed ) .

20221025-151322.jpg
That some good planning it so if the GPU connector catches fire it will melt the water pipes above to put the fire out :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
My Cablemods cable turned up today :D will still need an adapter to get it perfectly straight but this will have to do for now as with the side panel on it starts to compress the cable a little bit but no worse than the Nvidia one and that hasn't melted in 2 weeks of use :cry: Its so much nicer having a single cable to deal with and get a nice clean run to the psu in the back where it terminates to 3 x 8 pin ( 600w if needed ) .

20221025-151322.jpg

20221025-131348.jpg

20221025-133848.jpg

20221025-135334.jpg

What case is this btw, looks like a Lian Li PC011D, is it the XL because theres no way I could fit a rad that thick in mine and still have clearance with the distro plate lol

Soldato
If the new 12VHPWR power connectors are a fire risk why are NVidia still allowed to continue selling 4090s until this is fixed.

At least AMD have got the right idea.

This problem must have been known about for many months because AMD chose to stick with the old 8 pin connectors.

if you read the original reddit thread, the connector melted and the card stopped working - they don't mention actual flames which seems to have been some embellishment by certain outlets, so no I don't believe there is an actual fire risk

Associate
I'm torn now. I was content to avoid playing the f5 game but buy one if I happened to find one of the models I wanted in stock. However, the burning-connector issue has me thinking I may just wait until I have more info on how widespread this issue is and if this is a defect or design issue.

I know what distressed electronics smell like so I'm not worried about a major catastrophe if something hapens while I'm gaming,

The biggest issue is productivity tasks. I don't do a lot of these tasks but there are times when I want to put the card to work and walk away to do something else. I don't think I could do that with this connector issue and there's no way I would set my PC to work overnight while I sleep.

This type of doubt should not be part of a $1600+ purchase.
I'd say its a defect. As much as people who know better than me such as Buildzoid are putting it down to design, we didn't see this at all with the 3090 or ti.

Soldato
O11? Probably the most popular case in years, going by reddit.
I use it too, honestly amazing to work with
GPU coolers have been getting bigger year on year, so people who always want the newest biggest GPU are going to have to potentially accept that they need a new case to build around a particular GPU it seems.

Associate
probably the ugliest and worst designed case in years
For Air cooled probably - for watercooling there is no case that looks better, is this small and fits 3x 360 rad(evo or xl that is, standard one is pretty outdated at this point). There is a reason why this is the most popular pc case in history.
There is evo xl coming up next year that will fix all the issues as it will be around 4cm wider.

Last edited:
Associate
That zotac is fantastic looks like they kind of went, oh yeah we better put a bit of plastic on it.
Yeah not the best looking card , tbh apart from the founders I think they are look a bit crap tbh considering the price paid . Mine will look good in a waterblock soon so what it looks like now doesn't bother me tbh but if keeping it on air would probably be after a founders even more as its a stunning design :)

Associate
Do you really think that the cable will melt in 100% of the instances people do this? There is a risk of it happening, but it's not necessarily a certainty.

its not the rate of incidence but the lack of tolerance in spec.. you cant have a consumer grade cable with disclaimers like "35 mm for bend" attached to it.. it just doesnt work, the standard's got to be reworked and it will be

Back
Top Bottom