• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
its not the rate of incidence but the lack of tolerance in spec.. you cant have a consumer grade cable with disclaimers like "35 mm for bend" attached to it.. it just doesnt work, the standard's got to be reworked and it will be
What people dont realize is that 35mm bend claim comes from CABLEMOD, a diy cable manufacturer. No such recommendation was issued by Nvidia. They are individually sleeved and hence they probably have much less tolerance than non sleeved cables, like the one bundled by Seasonic/Asus/Corsair/Bequiet. Adaptors are probably much worse due to being pushed down by the weight of four 8 pin cables.

Last edited:
Associate
What people dont realize is that 35mm bend claim comes from CABLEMOD, a diy cable manufacturer. No such recommendation was issued by Nvidia. They are individually sleeved and hence they probably have much less tolerance than non sleeved cables, like the one bundled by Seasonic/Asus/Corsair/Bequiet. Adaptors are probably much worse due to being pushed down by the weight of four 8 pin cables.
are you sure because the nvidia website also talks about cable clearance as well?

Soldato
Seems like all these system with melting connectors feature lots of rgb, coincidence?

These people want their systems to look like a Christmas tree and don’t pay attention to bend radius’s :p

Soldato
Too few cores or just one core going to 100%?
Gpu was at 50%. 24 threads and most at low usage but 3 or 4 of them at 75-80% usage.

The latest watchdogs and to a lesser extent farcry 6 exhibit similar bottlenecks though at higher fps.

Not found the issue on dozens of other modern games just really the ones with more cpu usage overall.

Last edited:
Associate
Seems like all these system with melting connectors feature lots of rgb, coincidence?

These people want their systems to look like a Christmas tree and don’t pay attention to bend radius’s :p
doesn't apply to me :D the only thing that lights up on my pc is the power button and 4090. i don't understand why people want colourful looking pc's with lights everywhere...but hey horses for courses n all that :) i suppose it's in a similar vein to how some people like flash looking cars and clothes, although they are much easier to show off whereas a pc just sits in a room.

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
doesn't apply to me :D the only thing that lights up on my pc is the power button and 4090. i don't understand why people want colourful looking pc's with lights everywhere...but hey horses for courses n all that :) i suppose it's in a similar vein to how some people like flash looking cars and clothes, although they are much easier to show off whereas a pc just sits in a room.

Tell me about it, trying to source a good memory kit (6000 cl30) without rgb is proving difficult. Sure you can turn it off but then plastic light bars or whatever on them.

Man of Honour
i suppose it's in a similar vein to how some people like flash looking cars and clothes

I don't think it's that at all... lol

Modding and customising PC's has always been a thing, RGB is just another means of customising your PC. I personally think these stealth PC's with no lighting look incredibly boring, why bother with a window case at all? On the flipside, I think cases with 20 different colours, flashing, pulsing etc looks tacky as well. RGB can be very well done as long as it's not over the top

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got an open case so easy to see what's happening and easily feel the different parts of the cable. Basically what seems to be happening is there's a lot of heat build-up on the PCB around the cable connector and it dissipates through the cable.

Sitting in desktop with the gpu using 36w and the GPU power connector and a couple of CM away from it are warm to the touch. The rest of the cable and PSU connector side is cold to the touch
In games the GPU connector side is hot to the touch, the rest of the cable again is pretty much fine, just slightly warm, PSU end is fine

So honestly just think it's a cooling issue around the connector, there's no pads near it touching the heatsink so that area of the PCB just warms right up then combined with say a slightly bad connection and it overheats

Soldato
heh, think it's one of those stupid things where in isolation the socket is fine and can take the power. But connect it to a PCB and dump 400-600w though an area of what 20x8mm in to the PCB and the traces just get super hot. Wonder what temps are like in the middle of that PCB at full power

Soldato
Surprised nobody has glued heatsinks and a small fan on there yet.

Fixing the symptom, not the cause.

The issue of excessive heat, leading to melting, is due to poor electrical contact. The solution is to fix the contact, not just dissipate the additional heat.

Everything points to a bend in the cable causing some of the pins to be partially retracted, reducing contact area, increasing resistance and thus producing more heat.

Solution for now is to keep the cable as straight as possible, even if it means running without a side panel and having it poking out the side, until you can get hold of a better cable or something like CableMod's forthcoming right-angle adapter.

I'm willing to bet that, after a suitable period of claiming there's no issue, NVidia will be forced to provide updated cables and/or adapters to solve this.

Back
Top Bottom