• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
It is a crap design, I bought a deeper case so hopefully ok, I'll find out I guess.

They made sure to add a 4090 most people need at least a new case and new psu and new cables for their psu.

Great business plan for the industry. Make sure when you release something that the rest of the companies in the industry benefit too while creating more E-waste at the same time. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rup

Rup

Associate
You can blame the current economy, exchange rate and VAT on that one. UK just like last time is really getting the short end of the stick again.
Well looking at the trackers, the EU seems to be doing even worse than us.
Might be worth a trip to NY, the 4090 savings would prob pay for the trip :)

Soldato
What a disaster, I'm assuming that the lower tier NV cards won't require this crap connector?

AMD certainly won't be using it...;)

PS - Has anyone seen Nexus?

:D

Last edited:
Associate
What a disaster, I'm assuming that the lower tier NV cards won't require this crap connector?

AMD certainly won't be using it...;)

PS - Has anyone seen Nexus?

yeah you dont need that connector for anything lower than 450watts.. i think thats the official spec, though it also depends on BOM cost, i beleive having a single 12VHPWR connector is cost efficient.
regarding amd, herkleman tweeted they wont be using one, but there have been reports that the atx 3.0 spec was actually pushed by both amd and nvidia
so what remains to be seen is if this decision impacts go-to-market timelines for the rdna3

Soldato
yeah you dont need that connector for anything lower than 450watts.. i think thats the official spec, though it also depends on BOM cost, i beleive having a single 12VHPWR connector is cost efficient.
regarding amd, herkleman tweeted they wont be using one, but there have been reports that the atx 3.0 spec was actually pushed by both amd and nvidia
so what remains to be seen is if this decision impacts go-to-market timelines for the rdna3

I've heard the 7900XT tops out at 420W, which would tiue in with that. No proof of that though obviously, we'll have to wait and see.

Caporegime
A cars tank is designed to hold the fuel that you know it's for. A cable is designed so that it can be bent.
except when a part of the cable is rigid then it's clearly not supposed to be bent at that point, people use unsuitable cases and force it to an angle it's not designed for.

Caporegime
So now people have to build an entire system around a terrible connector, but it's not the connector that's the problem?

building a system around the size of a GPU seems entirely normal

cramming something in a case without clearance or bending the cable seems like user error.

How many OCUK users bought a 4090? and how many had this problem? how many have OCUK sold and how many melted?

Mountain and molehill comes to mind... people making a thing into a big deal for clicks

Last edited:
Soldato

cramming something in a case without clearance or bending the cable seems like user error.

How many OCUK users bought a 4090? and how many had this problem? how many have OCUK sold and how many melted?

Mountain and molehill comes to mind... people making a thing into a big deal for clicks
If it was something like a fan stops working then fair enough, but when you have electricity involved and the risk of fire (granted, I've not seen reports of flames, just smoke), then even 1 reported incident should be taken seriously (I'm not saying nVidia aren't taking it seriously).

Soldato

Really? so where have all the problems associated with cases and bendy connectors that melt and burn been before? Oh right there haven't been any...

This is a newly introduced Nvidia only, 4090 only problem, so what you're saying is it is "user error" by everyone who built a system prior to last month?

How many people did or not did not buy a 4090 is irrelevant to the issue at hand and clear deflection.

Yeah, keep on blaming the "media" in some form or other for everything...more deflection...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Really? so where have all the problems associated with cases and bendy connectors that melt and burn been before? Oh right there haven't been any...
there was never a card this big before.... people trying to reuse a case with no clearance or to weird cable management

go bend your kettle plug to an extreme angle and see what happens

Idiots and electricity shouldn't mix

Last edited:
Soldato
there was never a card this big before.... people trying to reuse a case with no clearance or to weird cable management

go bend your kettle plug to an extreme angle and see what happens

Idiots and electricity shouldn't mix

exactly so this is why by design the plug should be impossible to bend before it’s safe to do so as it’s consumer grade so people can’t be expected to do external reading on the subject on how it differs from the cables they have always used and bent.

Back
Top Bottom