• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
I think their 5% sales tax prob helps. if you bought that to the UK (and declared it) you'd have to add 20% VAT.
Yeah its a gamble as always with these things. Luckily never had to declare, just walked straight through as there's normally isn't anyone there to check.

Look at the size of the gigabyte aorus and Asus strix, for example. They really went overboard to say the least.
Overboard is an understatement, it's so unnecessarily big though how much heatsink actually matters i don't know.

Reactions: Rup
Soldato
there was never a card this big before.... people trying to reuse a case with no clearance or to weird cable management

go bend your kettle plug to an extreme angle and see what happens

Idiots and electricity shouldn't mix

The issue is "idiots" are out there and why safety standards are there to count in for such users. Also your kettle plug example is not really a good one they are very safe and sturdy. These things are as small as they could make them like sata connectors on drives that use to snap all the time too as they were too thin for their use and still are and people still to this day break them even when being careful as they are a bad design and we should not defend bad designs and designs that can cause issues even for the 1% when it comes to safety. These connectors are not safe and so far showing the issues and I feel in time they will be proven not fit for purpose and removed or changed to a safer version.

Last edited:
Soldato
People have ben bending cables without issue in PC cases for decades, only now is there a problem because of NV's crap connector and their Mount Doom GPU. That's a fact.

"Idiots and electricity shouldn't mix"

They've definitely been mixing at NV's engineering dept.

:D

You have to remember these connectors are not new they were on all 30 series FE cards and all 3090ti fe and aib cards and now 4090s. The only difference is the 4 pin sense pins on the underside were not there until the 3090ti and 4090 but the same connectors.

Rup

Rup

Associate
Yeah its a gamble as always with these things. Luckily never had to declare, just walked straight through as there's normally isn't anyone there to check.

Overboard is an understatement, it's so unnecessarily big though how much heatsink actually matters i don't know.
Might as well bring in some diamonds/rolex's then. Much more ££ per gram :)

Soldato
I bet they will.

It's obvious that, unlike with their previous connector, this time NVidia are forcing AIBs to use this new one as otherwise some would have stuck with triple 8-pins.

If they're forcing AIBs to use it then I'll bet their plan is to use it across all products.
They forced aibs from 3090ti and on to use them as part of getting the AIB design approved by nvidia. They are basically forcing aibs to use them or they can't make the cards without nvidias approval. I wish they stuck to the 3 x 8pin they are safe and work well.

As can be seen here even on cards with the connectors in the middle and I use 3090 NVLINK so 6 x 8pin connectors :-

This machine is for work so I let it run projects and walk away, dear god if I was worried of fire I would be sat next to it 24/7 and my system can pull 470w from each card so that's 940w when set at the full power limit, but normally set to 420w each.

Also people run things like downloads or work to run on gpus overnight while they sleep, can you imagine waking up to a smoke alarm because of your pc melting connectors or starting a fire ? Then you have people with no smoke alarms and never wake up again.

This is a serious safety issue and needs seriously looking into now with these connectors and day I saw them I was like yes these don't look great or very safe to me. Now we are seeing the results sadly.

Soldato
The issue is "idiots" are out there and why safety standards are there to count in for such users. Also your kettle plug example is not really a good one they are very safe and sturdy. These things are as small as they could make them like sata connectors on drives that use to snap all the time too as they were too thin for their use and still are and people still to this day break them even when being careful as they are a bad design and we should not defend bad designs and designs that can cause issues even for the 1% when it comes to safety. These connectors are not safe and so far showing the issues and I feel in time they will be proven not fit for purpose and removed or changed to a safer version.

Agreed.

Designing a cable with the requirement that end-users must bend them perfectly, is a bad design.

Associate
If my kids were a lot older I think a new 'case' would have it open and exposed with reasonable airflow. The older I get the less its about fancy looks but you definitely should not be worrying about electrical hazards, one of the benefits of an easy to inspect rig.
Agreed! I have a 6 yr old autistic son and I cannot leave my case panel off, Right now I'm having to unplug the GPU and put my case back on because of this S***Show.

Nvidia must think everyone has an open test bench for their PC!

Can't buy a decent PSU, Can't get a cable from Seasonic because it's 3 Yrs old they won't even sell a cable I've already asked them and Cablemod is the only hope with this 90 adaptor and God knows how long that's going to take.

I've got a friggin Cablemod Vertical PCIE bracket with a PCIE 4.0 cable I can't even use because the GPU is too big and the bracket only fits 2 slot cards

It's just a shambles I have to say.

Why TF did Nvidia not send out an angled adaptor instead of the straight one when they knew it wouldn't fit 99% of cases on the market is beyond me!

Back
Top Bottom