• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
They're doing that to avoid responsibility, I've had that a couple of times in the past, and had to remind the seller of UK law with regard to this matter.

https:// www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product-aTTEK2g0YuEy

This means that your statutory consumer rights are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer.
You can still make a claim against the manufacturer if you have a guarantee or warranty, or if the product has caused additional damage or injury, but we strongly recommend that you deal with the retailer in the first instance.

Ah ok I stand corrrected, thanks for pointing that out. So they've tried fobbing me off in the past when i've been told to contact the manufacturer. It was Argos with a Quest 2 and Amazon with a Pimax 8KX. Due to faults I got refunded in the end anyway but they definitely tried it on.

Last edited:
Soldato
https:// www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product-aTTEK2g0YuEy

This means that your statutory consumer rights are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer.
You can still make a claim against the manufacturer if you have a guarantee or warranty, or if the product has caused additional damage or injury, but we strongly recommend that you deal with the retailer in the first instance.

Ah ok I stand corrrected, thanks for pointing that out. So they've tried fobbing me off in the past when i've been told to contact the manufacturer. It was Argos with a Quest 2 and Amazon with a Pimax 8KX. Due to faults I got refunded in the end anyway but they definitely tried it on.

Yup, the last time this happened to me, was with Amazon, over a faulty microwave, tried to fob me off with advising me to get in touch with the manufacturer.

Yeh, no.

Soldato
Why TF did Nvidia not send out an angled adaptor instead of the straight one when they knew it wouldn't fit 99% of cases on the market is beyond me!
Profits.... the cost of a quality right angle adapter would have eaten into the simple 'squeeze 4 cables into one adapter' approach they're using now...

I am a bit surprised that the AIB manufacturers didn't do something like it though... but then for all we know Nvidia could have stipulated they must use their adapter.

Cablemods right angle is pre-sale on October 31

Just a heads up mate, Are you aware that the connector has a limited unplug/plug lifecycle? (about 30)
You're joking right...I know it's rare that most people would be pulling it out and putting it back in again on a regular basis but that's just shockingly poor design.

I'm waiting on rdna3 anyway but at this rate I might sacrifice cuda to get a decent power socket....

Last edited:
Caporegime
Agreed.

Designing a cable with the requirement that end-users must bend them perfectly, is a bad design.

As I mentioned before. Could they not have put a line on the cable indicating that its safe to bend to a certain degree after this point?

Seems like minimal thought at best went into it for a connector that's so finicky about being bent...

Soldato
Profits.... the cost of a quality right angle adapter would have eaten into the simple 'squeeze 4 cables into one adapter' approach they're using now...

I am a bit surprised that the AIB manufacturers didn't do something like it though... but then for all we know Nvidia could have stipulated they must use their adapter.

You're joking right...I know it's rare that most people would be pulling it out and putting it back in again on a regular basis but that's just shockingly poor design.

I'm waiting on rdna3 anyway but at this rate I might sacrifice cuda to get a decent power socket....

Nope, he isn't, it's legit.

Soldato
Nope, he isn't, it's legit.
That's just... I don't even know what to say on that it's just so stupid...

The worst thing about all the power socket issues (and the 4080 that's really a 4060/4070) is that we know nvidia are basically going to do sod all about it and they'll still have pc gamers queuing up to get their new shiny gpu from nvidia no matter what....

Last edited:
Soldato
That's just... I don't even know what to say on that it's just so stupid...

The worst thing about all the power socket issues (and the 4080 that's really a 4060/4070) is that we know nvidia are basically going to do sod all about it and they'll still have pc gamers queuing up to get their new shiny gpu from nvidia no matter what....

Associate
Just a heads up mate, Are you aware that the connector has a limited unplug/plug lifecycle? (about 30)
Oh yeah I'm aware of that but honestly don't take any notice of that it's been like that since the molex days, I think it's more to do with the user, Not to say it won't degrade after repeated inserting but somehow I think they're scare mongering a bit there.

Hopefully the adaptors are available and ship fast after release next week.

Associate

That's the thing AIBs used to always give PCIE 8 pin splitters in the box regardless of FE so all they needed to do was add another one with a right angle for people that needed it, It's just such a cheap thoughtless oversight to bundle the same adaptor with all third party cards.

Associate
The more I hear about this melting issue and the general connectivity and limited lifespan of reconnecting the more I want to keep the £1699 in my pocket and await AMDs new arrival.

Soldato
That's the thing AIBs used to always give PCIE 8 pin splitters in the box regardless of FE so all they needed to do was add another one with a right angle for people that needed it, It's just such a cheap thoughtless oversight to bundle the same adaptor with all third party cards.
In some respects I can't blame AIB's for trying to cut costs when the FE is literally as fast and almost as quiet as their higher priced alternatives (can completely understand EVGA leaving) but this little oversight could end up coming back to burn them long term.

Soldato
In some respects I can't blame AIB's for trying to cut costs when the FE is literally as fast and almost as quiet as their higher priced alternatives (can completely understand EVGA leaving) but this little oversight could end up coming back to burn them long term.

Burn or melt?

Back
Top Bottom