• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
The fact that Nvidia have yet to release any statement other than we are investigating is really bad form here. Media shouldn't be finding the culprit faster than Nvidia. Although that's funny since it's their fault.

Based on igorslabs findings, the adaptors are a huge red flag, considering the same 12pin had no issues with 30 series, I find that information more accurate. If Nvidia dont take serious steps to fix this, they will be forced to do a recall, as they won't have enough time to get replacement adaptors out. Fire hazard recalls almost always lead to full recall.

I can only assume the likes of Asus, gigabyte and the rest will have limited time to act themsevles, they can't technically wait for Nvidia. An Asus product is and Asus product,. Wonder who will be the first to issue recalland jump the gun over Nvidia. The lawsuits from potential fire will be massive.

Soldato
Am thinking what happening to cause these connectors to melt is that the female side of the connector is opening up from the pressure of the cable being bent..

This is what maybe happening with the pin power connectors when someone bends the cable
oGwEd5Q.jpg
This seems like a case of designing in isolation, without consideration for how the product will be used. I don't think I've seen a PC build where cables aren't being bent and it seems like if you are going to design a new connector ensuring it works when it is being bent seems like it would be a very important criteria.

Associate
You have to remember these connectors are not new they were on all 30 series FE cards and all 3090ti fe and aib cards and now 4090s. The only difference is the 4 pin sense pins on the underside were not there until the 3090ti and 4090 but the same connectors.
It's also not actually Nvidia's connector. They are just the first ones to adopt it

Associate
I wonder if this adaptor drama is the reason we haven't seen the FEs on sale for over a week now. The fewer cards the public have the easier it is to do a product recall.
Unlikely they'll be any recall for cards because the connector on the card itself is fine. They'll probably have to ship replacement adaptors that have a better design / quality.

Soldato
The more I hear about this melting issue and the general connectivity and limited lifespan of reconnecting the more I want to keep the £1699 in my pocket and await AMDs new arrival.

Wise move, I mean why would anyone buy a 4090 now?

Crazy. The design is clearly flawed and inadequate, and it's a minimum of 1700 quid just to play "bendy/melty connector Russian Roulette"

:)

Last edited:
Associate
The product costs £2,000 haha, and it can burn down the house.

oh noes! i weally regret my 4090 purchase now :rolleyes:

actually it cost £1699, no houses have burnt down and i doubt mine will. i have the adapter straight and without a bend for atleast the first 35mm, i have my case open and a desk fan blowing on the pc :D i'll probably get the cable mod 90 degree adapter when available so i can close my case, sorted.

i like my 4090, no regrets. games have had a new lease of life with it :D

Reactions: Rup
Soldato
Associate
So I assume when NVIDIA inevitably recall the adapters to be replaced with a better quality product you won't take them up on it? ;)
ofc i will i'm always up for a freebie :D
seriously i accept the adapter is poor but it's hardly effected me enjoying the gpu, just means i have the case open. slight inconvenience.

TOW

TOW

Associate
oh noes! i weally regret my 4090 purchase now :rolleyes:

actually it cost £1699, no houses have burnt down and i doubt mine will. i have the adapter straight and without a bend for atleast the first 35mm, i have my case open and a desk fan blowing on the pc :D i'll probably get the cable mod 90 degree adapter when available so i can close my case, sorted.

i like my 4090, no regrets. games have had a new lease of life with it :D
Whacha wanna bet it the guys who can't afford one who are being the loudest over this?

Oh noes - a couple of people didn't connect an electrical connector properly & it caused some melty melty ness... guess what... PCI-E 8 pin connectors have done the same when you don't plug them in correctly.

Rup

Rup

Associate
No issues with my 4090. Side panel is on, it's touching the cables but no huge bend or pressure.
All products have someone complaining about them, it's a 0.1% thing.
IIRC Jay 2 cents was saying something similar about the capacitors on 3080's being crap. There werent general re-calls so again was a 0.1%

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom