• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Currently running:

5800X3D
32GB Team Group 8Pack Edition 3600MHz
Solid X570 Mobo
Good SSDs
GTX 1080 Ti
100Hz G-Sync Module Ultrawide 3440x1440 Monitor (considering downgrading to Adaptive Sync 1440p for versatility)

Good as gold, no exaggeration 100% stable. This thing doesn't crash.

Not too bad. But the standout weakness for a year, or so, is the GPU?

Looking for:
An upgrade that I can understand.

Interested in:
Higher framerates
I'm not sure after that because I haven't seen it
Dual encoders maybe because I'm interested in streaming (tertiary)
Looks like a very good setup minus the GPU , personally i would want to pair that with either a 3090 or the new 4080 but would depend on if you are happy to buy 2nd hand with no warranty or not .. if not an issue then would say 100% a 2nd hand 3090 for around £750 ( going rate it seems ) when the 3090 came out i upgraded from a 1080Ti Strix and was a X2 performance uplift . If you want warranty and even more performance than the 3090 has then the 4080 would be the next option and would be more future proofed of the 2 . Encoder wise im not sure tbh as streaming is not something i do but having a quick look online mentions the 40 series having dual encoders but would have to look more into that yourself :) Another thing to consider is AMD GPU are just around the corner and looks like their top ( 7900XTX ) will surpass the 4080 performance in games but worse on RT and not sure about the encoding stuff on them...

Last edited:
Dont mention vram.. ;)

I'm sure he's seen the benchmarks out for the 4080/4090 with some games with RT on and how the 3080 10GB has half the frame rate now compared to even a 3080 12GB. That was the scam right there with the 10GB card sold as a flagship card (inbuilt planned obsolescence from day one...) :cry: This is Nvidia we are talking about they always plan a way to cripple their last gen cards, was done with kepler and maxwell in more recent times that most remember well and then they found a way to cripple even Pascal by adding a new feature they knew gamers would want RT, ohh wait no RT on any card below a 2080.. This is Nvidia really and why I don't play into that game anymore and look at the so called well priced card and pull it apart to see why they priced it well and always with Nvidia it means by next gen it needs replacing or lowering your settings more.

Like I said at the time it was disgraceful they released a so called flagship in 2020 with 10GB VRAM and two generations before that their flagships had 11GB 1080ti and 2080ti.. The card should have come on day one with 12GB minimum but they couldn't and wouldn't sell you that for less than £1000 as we saw later with the 3080 12GB and £1200 for the 3080ti with again 12GB and even this card should have had 16GB.

I decided I'm out this gen even after many times having my finger on the 4090 buy button, no thanks not worth it and then today's 4080 release was even more comical, this generation will be remembered as worse than the 20 series fiasco with the 2080ti at silly prices and a 2080 that cost and performed the same as a 2 year old 1080ti and really cost more once out in the stores.

I will now wait till the 50 series comes out and see from there, so far this generation has even turned me right off after sitting down and really seeing the uplifts and the real pricing, it's a solid fail in my book now and thank god I didn't fall for the FOMO experience and clicked buy and then ending up with a card that has the potential to burn my home down too with that built-in Easter egg feature called Nvidia RF (Real Fire) :rolleyes: .

I went out the other day and decided to update some of my audio hardware and spent that money I had put aside for the 4090 on these things and feel much better I did that and enjoying the new gear a lot more than any gpu would have made me enjoy. Also the audio gear doesn't magically loose half its value overnight too like gpus if you decide to sell them on. Meeh.. the whole pc hardware thing is really starting to annoy me and feeling like a big scam and we are now being sold many lies to make us justify the purchase from these companies now.. Come on the best one this time was DLSS3 with its fake frame generation.. if that doesn't say scam to you nothing ever will, Nvidia added that to make the FPS counters look like a massive increase when in reality all you had to do to get the real FPS was half it and there is your real world gains not fake gains, MSFS was the program that made me realise so much more that I don't need to update anything this time as the programs I use most of the time are still cpu bound and no gpu will help with that till we get much better cpus and platforms, so by then I will need to do a full new rebuild to see any benefits in what I use for entertainment and for my work..

The new 40 series should only be considered by people with gpus older than a 2080ti and with a good cpu in their current system or an easy cpu update. Otherwise it means a totally new rebuild to get some benefits from the 40 series and even a new monitor maybe needed with 4k or a ultra wide with a decent refresh rate, otherwise throwing money in the bin with these.

Last edited:
4080 prices are on the nvidia site. Suprim/Asus etc pretty much same as 4090 FE!!

Do not buy a 4090FE, FE stands for Fire Edition. So it only looks better value until you factor in having to purchase a fire extinguisher (note, do not use water on electrical fires).

Currently running:

5800X3D
32GB Team Group 8Pack Edition 3600MHz
Solid X570 Mobo
Good SSDs
GTX 1080 Ti
100Hz G-Sync Module Ultrawide 3440x1440 Monitor (considering downgrading to Adaptive Sync 1440p for versatility)

Good as gold, no exaggeration 100% stable. This thing doesn't crash.

Not too bad. But the standout weakness for a year, or so, is the GPU?

Looking for:
An upgrade that I can understand.

Interested in:
Higher framerates
I'm not sure after that because I haven't seen it
Dual encoders maybe because I'm interested in streaming (tertiary)

I'm also running a Corsair 750W Gold PSU (Hmm 6 years old?).
4000 series is pointless for this resolution you'll be glad to know.

Worth a watch and listen to what he states about this much gpu power and screens. Also other nice info in the video and the DX12 Nvidia driver overheads that were fixed in more recent drivers.

Last edited:
Launch day the 3080 could have been had cheaper than you can get them now, although that came with the caveat of having to wait a year and it possibly never turning up / being cancelled :cry: Took the first screenshot on 3080 release day ( was for a friend ) and for reference took another today , 2 years and 2 months later to the day pretty much...

Release day , 17th September 2020
Screenshot-20200917-151007-Chrome.jpg

Today 16th November 2022

Screenshot-20221116-005252-Chrome.jpg
And some people who pre ordered in 2020 at those prices are still waiting for them....

I'm sure he's seen the benchmarks out for the 4080/4090 with some games with RT on and how the 3080 10GB has half the frame rate now compared to even a 3080 12GB. That was the scam right there with the 10GB card sold as a flagship card (inbuilt planned obsolescence from day one...) :cry: This is Nvidia we are talking about they always plan a way to cripple their last gen cards, was done with kepler and maxwell in more recent times that most remember well and then they found a way to cripple even Pascal by adding a new feature they knew gamers would want RT, ohh wait no RT on any card below a 2080.. This is Nvidia really and why I don't play into that game anymore and look at the so called well priced card and pull it apart to see why they priced it well and always with Nvidia it means by next gen it needs replacing or lowering your settings more.

Like I said at the time it was disgraceful they released a so called flagship in 2020 with 10GB VRAM and two generations before that their flagships had 11GB 1080ti and 2080ti.. The card should have come on day one with 12GB minimum but they couldn't and wouldn't sell you that for less than £1000 as we saw later with the 3080 12GB and £1200 for the 3080ti with again 12GB and even this card should have had 16GB.

I decided I'm out this gen even after many times having my finger on the 4090 buy button, no thanks not worth it and then today's 4080 release was even more comical, this generation will be remembered as worse than the 20 series fiasco with the 2080ti at silly prices and a 2080 that cost and performed the same as a 2 year old 1080ti and really cost more once out in the stores.

I will now wait till the 50 series comes out and see from there, so far this generation has even turned me right off after sitting down and really seeing the uplifts and the real pricing, it's a solid fail in my book now and thank god I didn't fall for the FOMO experience and clicked buy and then ending up with a card that has the potential to burn my home down too with that built-in Easter egg feature called Nvidia RF (Real Fire) :rolleyes: .

I went out the other day and decided to update some of my audio hardware and spent that money I had put aside for the 4090 on these things and feel much better I did that and enjoying the new gear a lot more than any gpu would have made me enjoy. Also the audio gear doesn't magically loose half its value overnight too like gpus if you decide to sell them on. Meeh.. the whole pc hardware thing is really starting to annoy me and feeling like a big scam and we are now being sold many lies to make us justify the purchase from these companies now.. Come on the best one this time was DLSS3 with its fake frame generation.. if that doesn't say scam to you nothing ever will, Nvidia added that to make the FPS counters look like a massive increase when in reality all you had to do to get the real FPS was half it and there is your real world gains not fake gains, MSFS was the program that made me realise so much more that I don't need to update anything this time as the programs I use most of the time are still cpu bound and no gpu will help with that till we get much better cpus and platforms, so by then I will need to do a full new rebuild to see any benefits in what I use for entertainment and for my work..

The new 40 series should only be considered by people with gpus older than a 2080ti and with a good cpu in their current system or an easy cpu update. Otherwise it means a totally new rebuild to get some benefits from the 40 series and even a new monitor maybe needed with 4k or a ultra wide with a decent refresh rate, otherwise throwing money in the bin with these.

Personally I upgraded everything on my computer recently so got a 12900k, DDR5 Memory, etc but the only part I didn't was my graphics card which remains a 1070, I just couldn't justify the prices of graphics cards and the performance my 1070 still provided was more than enough for what I'm currently playing.

Launch day the 3080 could have been had cheaper than you can get them now, although that came with the caveat of having to wait a year and it possibly never turning up / being cancelled :cry: Took the first screenshot on 3080 release day ( was for a friend ) and for reference took another today , 2 years and 2 months later to the day pretty much...

Release day , 17th September 2020 : Today 16th November 2022

Yeah that in a nutshell tells you how greedy this is. At least all the radeon range has gone below msrp although it took some time. Nvidia have across some models gone up as your pictures state, complete disgrace for 2 year old hardware.

I'd genuinely enjoy having someone explain this to me. Contemplating upgrades from my 1080 Ti, having not yet experienced RT. Is it really worth north of £1k?

Read 4a enhanced article, it is about as good of an explanation and demonstration you will get from "game developers":

DF do great videos on it as well when they do videos on RT games like quake RTX, cp 2077 etc.

Is RT worth 1+K? No.
Is any gpu regardless of RT worth 1+k? No.

I think for those of us happy with 1440p, anything above a 3080/3090 is a waste of time
But buying last gen hardware for top dollar seems wrong
It would be good if there was a £500 (ish) option for me in the 40 series lineup

That should be a 4070 card, but we all know what Nvidia wanted to position that and at what price.

Nvidia won't give you a 4070 at £500 this time, you may get a 4060 for that this time. We will see how the leather jacket man feels on the pricing day but guessing he needs more trips to Taiwan to sing lady gaga tunes with youtubers so will end up being 4060 for £550, 4060Ti £650, 4070 £750 and the once called 12GB 4080 sold as 4070Ti for £850-£900 and don't be surprised if they are more..

Last edited:
Yes I am aware that £500 is wishful thinking in the current market.
A 4060 would probably do me fine as long as it's a decent performance bump from a 3060
(a 3060 is very similar in performance to my 1080 apparently)

For anyone interested, you can bend the cablemod one easy to make it fit within reason. Again, it's gone in my little Meshify C just fine.
Did get a black screen on first boot after entering windows but after checking the event viewer, I rechecked the cable and it wasn't quite fully in at the card end, takes quite the push to get it fully seated, all fine now.

Last edited:
I love my PC gaming, but nvidia went from like £699 to £1100 in one generation, im going to have to stick with my 2080 a while yet, no way in this market can i justify that kind of money for a graphics card, i find it hard enough to part with £700 - £800 for a card

You don’t have to miss out. Look for a 3080 Ti deal on members market. Should be able to pick one up sub £600. That would be a nice upgrade for you there.

Back
Top Bottom