• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
It's hard to extrapolate because the gaming core is different, so we don't know what changes have been made to tensor or RT cores, any cache changes there and clocks. I can accept Cuda cores maybe have the same IPC as Ampere but you still can't use that to estimate performance because you need more info than just IPC of the Cuda core

that said I'm not surprised, very early on we had rumours that Lovelace would just be a bigger Ampere.

Lovelace I guess will be 5nm, not 4nm unless Nvidia got a really good deal

Fair point. Just a rough extrapolation on the CUDA performance rather than gaming performance.

TSMC 4N is a revision of the N5 as well (N7, N5, N4, N3 are TSMC generations, whereas 7N, 4N are rebranded TSMC nodes for Nvidia), not a big difference between them. There's a huge demand for TSMC's 5-4nm wafers between Apple, AMD, Qualcomm, Mediatek and AMD this year, so it's not going to be cheap. I can see Nvidia going for Samsung again.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Sorry, I genuinely don’t understand exactly what he means.
He is saying CPU should be upgraded first. His reasoning is those can be had now easily while waiting for the GPU availability/prices to further improve, as that seems to be the trajectory they are heading at the moment.

Caporegime
He is saying CPU should be upgraded first. His reasoning is those can be had now easily while waiting for the GPU availability/prices to further improve, as that seems to be the trajectory they are heading at the moment.
But I don’t want any of the current CPU’s, I want AM5 (Ryzen 7), when it’s released.

Soldato
Will be interesting if PCIE gen3 is still fine. If it isnt not only will PSU manufacturers have Nvidia to thank, but also Intel/AMD and board manufacturers. All the industry working together to make you upgrade all of system, great right. :)

4000 Series given the designs I seen, and the power requirements look to be built in multi GPU products. Hence the skyrocketing TDP alongside large performance bump.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
But I don’t want any of the current CPU’s, I want AM5 (Ryzen 7), when it’s released.
Ah fair enough, did not see that. I only read his post which I understood. Looking at your post now basically then he is saying get the CPU first while waiting for the 4000 series availability to improve. Nothing cryptic :p

Personally I would would try for a 4080 FE first, if no luck then get the CPU. Though I am not sure when the AMD CPU’s are coming out.

Associate
Ah fair enough, did not see that. I only read his post which I understood. Looking at your post now basically then he is saying get the CPU first while waiting for the 4000 series availability to improve. Nothing cryptic :p

Personally I would would try for a 4080 FE first, if no luck then get the CPU. Though I am not sure when the AMD CPU’s are coming out.

Thats asuming we get FE this time round after the way they treated board partners with 30 series

Caporegime

Only thing that worries me about the 4080 is the power draw. Will my 850W be enough?

Soldato
Hasn't FE always been more expensive than AIB up until 3000 series?

Now that the mining boom and covid are ending and things are starting to return to normal, surely 4000 AIB will be less than FE?

FE was just something people bought for fitting aftermarket coolers.

Soldato
Hopefully Corsair Hx1000i PSU is enough it's got me through 3 builds over 7 years was told it was over kill at the time but it seems to have worked out . Got my eyes on the 4080

Soldato
Why wouldn't there be a FE model? Board partners just have to lube up unfortunately, they treated the consumers the same.

There is rumours AIBs were paying more for chips than Nvidia sold to consumers, but not a single one of these was backed up with credible evidence, notice now by some miracle after demand has dropped AIB prices are coming down on 3000 series. In short AIBs got greedy and took advantage of the market. (plus their distributors which is an added middle man).

On those with 3000 series cards considering upgrading, please do the sensible thing and only sell after you secured one, then you not left in an emergency as you have no GPU. Personally I will wait and see what is released, I am hoping a 16 gig 4070 is released which I expect will have similar power usage to the 3080, and then if I can secure an FE at a reasonable MSRP will recover most of it by selling my 3080.

Associate
AHH. I read that as AM4, not 5.

In which case, your solution is do nothing and hope, until things are released and you can make an informed decision. Speculation will only waste time better spent playing the games you care about.

But I didn't think I was being cryptic :)

Back
Top Bottom