• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
I think what veryrichtea is pointing towards is that Igor is saying you can measure an Nvidia card from software fairly accurately. But it seems AMD cards are ~30% more than software is recording. Is this a Volkswagen moment for AMD for efficiency?

its not a new thing? like forever? both my vega and rx 580 show lower than actual power consumption, whereas my 1080 and 3090 are more accurate. Its not a gotcha moment.

Associate
DO you have any issues with fan noise on the Zotac? I read a few posts on Reddit saying it is pretty noisy.
Just got a refund for mine today due to faulty fans , mine made a sound similar to coil whine when set to 100% but with the card sat at desktop under no load ( ie no coil whine from gpu) , it also had an issue where the rpm reading would randomly spike to double so from 3200 to 6400 for a split second. Wasn't happy about that so sent it back . I will say apart from the fan issue the card was fantastic , clocked very high and had no coil whine at all from the card itself just the fans. I was able to get an FE in the drop few weeks back but if it wasn't for that would have happily gone for another Zotac :)

Associate
My Inno3D X3 has no coil whine at all that I can detect. Obviously, results can vary from card to card within even the same model, but there does seem to be a pattern of the Inno3D cards being quiet. Even in fan noise terms, it's the quietest card I've had for a few generations (since my 980).
Same here 0 coil whine on the Inno3d, In fact I've not heard a single soul mention any whine with the innos so whatever parts they're using they're working.

Associate
I think what veryrichtea is pointing towards is that Igor is saying you can measure an Nvidia card from software fairly accurately. But it seems AMD cards are ~30% more than software is recording. Is this a Volkswagen moment for AMD for efficiency?
Not in all situations tbf, but longer periods nvidia seem accurate.
Why do AMD’s actually measured values at the pcie connectors deviate so extremely from the results read out via software and why is the error rate in short-term measurements on NVIDIA graphics cards still so high?

Associate
yeah GTN disagree with you

igors are using the 3 pin which limits the card to 450 and restricts performance, its specced to 4 pin and 600 watts and the vbios uses it.
Looks like he has them all plugged in, in the photo. Show me where he says that and I'll believe you. Also why would he be running it at 600 watts, he's running it at stock lol.

Associate
This article is pretty old actually, it's from May but it has been updated recently for the 4090, I'm surprised this has slipped by people as NVIDIA got loads of stick initially for the efficiency on the 4090. Will be interesting to see if they do the same with the 7900 series.

Last edited:
Associate
Watch the video, or LTT, or HUB, or any of them. 4 cables enables 600 watts, 3 cables in 450.
I'll quote what he says:
"With Ada, NVIDIA has built in an extreme buffer in contrast to its own Ampere cards and AMD, which can be achieved in places, but is usually not reached in every application. Every game is different and there are extreme examples that demand a lot of performance. But in the whole range of applications, average values are always the most objective statement. After all, you don’t always drive steeply uphill in real life."

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll quote what he says:
"With Ada, NVIDIA has built in an extreme buffer in contrast to its own Ampere cards and AMD, which can be achieved in places, but is usually not reached in every application. Every game is different and there are extreme examples that demand a lot of performance. But in the whole range of applications, average values are always the most objective statement. After all, you don’t always drive steeply uphill in real life."
Which has nothing to do with either what i said or power delivery. Stop the strawman.

Soldato
I recently picked up a Zotac Trinity non-OC and not experiencing any coil whine. Some people have commented on the noisy fans but fingers crossed I'm not noticing this at all yet. I'm only hitting 55C max temp in games/benchmarks though. I did crank the fans to 90-100% in Afterburner to test and that was a different story I think my case lifted an inch off my desk!
My zotak also has no coil whine and very quiet fans

Associate
My Zotac has no coil whine at all, but the fans aren't very quiet. I'm not sure, but I think there's a quiet bios on it? There's some button next to the 12pin socket, which I assume the the quiet bios. Any knows if this is the case?
For context I was using 3090 FE before, which has super quiet fans but noticeable coil whine.

Associate
My Zotac has no coil whine at all, but the fans aren't very quiet. I'm not sure, but I think there's a quiet bios on it? There's some button next to the 12pin socket, which I assume the the quiet bios. Any knows if this is the case?
For context I was using 3090 FE before, which has super quiet fans but noticeable coil whine.
My Zotac had buzzing fans that sounded like coil whine but was 100% from the fans as set to 0% buzzing stops ... To change the fan bios on the zotac you need to use their Firestorm utility and will have an option to switch bios and will require a restart to take effect , im not sure what that button does but didn't change the bios when i pressed it :cry:
I have a 4090 FE now and the fan pitch isn't nice tbh and is rather loud although it doesn't buzz , it does have noticeable coil whine though but not enough for me to be bothered by it .

Soldato
Ok, after someone posted a video of their Zotac bearing issue I thought I'd listen to mine. To me, it sounded pretty much the same. Can someone who isn't as deaf as I tell me if this is a bearing issue or expected behaviour? I'd rather not send it back if it's expected, as the card has been good as gold. This is the fans going from 0% to 30%.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ok, after someone posted a video of their Zotac bearing issue I thought I'd listen to mine. To me, it sounded pretty much the same. Can someone who isn't as deaf as I tell me if this is a bearing issue or expected behaviour? I'd rather not send it back if it's expected, as the card has been good as gold. This is the fans going from 0% to 30%.

Hmm that sounds annoying... is it all the time even when the system is idle?

Back
Top Bottom