• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
I still fail to see why the 5090 should be significantly more expensive than the 4090. The 4090 wasn't significantly more expensive than the 3090, despite being a LOT faster.
Nothing to do with performance. It's eating into production capacity of the enterprise chips that are much better margin for Nvidia, hence I expect them to be of low availability and high price. Also, Nvidia has no competition so can dictate any price they want, freely - rich gamers already shown them twice that they will happily pay high price for top performance. And, let's not forget Nvidia CEO multiple times claiming since 4090 release that it's too cheap and this was the last time such good GPU has been sold for such low price (his words, not mine).

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Nothing to do with performance. It's eating into production capacity of the enterprise chips that are much better margin for Nvidia, hence I expect them to be of low availability and high price. Also, Nvidia has no competition so can dictate any price they want, freely - rich gamers already shown them twice that they will happily pay high price for top performance. And, let's not forget Nvidia CEO multiple times claiming since 4090 release that it's too cheap and this was the last time such good GPU has been sold for such low price (his words, not mine).

Well the 3090Ti didn’t sell well, so it would appear there is a price threshold for most.

Associate
Well the 3090Ti didn’t sell well, so it would appear there is a price threshold for most.
And Nvidia learned the lesson then released 4090 with much bigger gap from 4080 and then also dlss 3 FG that isn't supported on older generation for whatever arbitrary reason and suddenly sales went up to the point it was very hard to buy 4090 for a long time for MSRP (still a case).

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
And Nvidia learned the lesson then released 4090 with much bigger gap from 4080 and then also dałaś 3 FG that isn't supported on older generation for whatever arbitrary reason and suddenly sales went up to the point it was very hard to buy 4090 for a long time for MSRP (still a case).

Sure but the 4090 was the same price as the 3090 at release I believe.

Think the 5090 will be pretty much the same price again TBH.

Soldato
I sold my 4090 at just over 1300 for a small loss (less than £100) it has been in its box and had no time/couldn't be arsed to set it up with my other stuff, so by the time I'd have got to use it next gen would've been literally just be a few months away.

Soldato
Wasn't it £1649? The Ampere FE was £1399. The 4080 was over £1200 I recall.
The UK price bounced around due to £ vs $ currency fluctuations but the 3090 > 4090 saw a $100 price increase from $1499 to $1599

I think this is also why a lot of people were baffled with the 3080 > 4080 seeing a +$500 increase especially with the 4080 being a far weaker card for its generation and built on what would have been the 70 die in the Ampere generation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The UK price bounced around due to £ vs $ currency fluctuations

On release it was definitely £200+ more than previous gen, they then 'discounted' to adjust for the currency some months later. UK seemed to be £1679, much more than $100 not sure why your using USD basis. The 4080 was indeed scorned as it saw the huge uplift in price but not quite the same performance justification. All eyes are on the inbound 50 series price reveal..

Soldato
On release it was definitely £200+ more than previous gen, they then 'discounted' to adjust for the currency some months later. UK seemed to be £1679, much more than $100 not sure why your using USD basis. The 4080 was indeed scorned as it saw the huge uplift in price but not quite the same performance justification. All eyes are on the inbound 50 series price reveal..
The £ vs $ was around $1.28 to 1.00gbp when the 3090 launched, when the 4090 launched it was just after Truss crashed the pound so around $1.10 to 1.00gbp.

Last edited:
Associate

As someone that buys flagship parts and paid nearly £2500 for a 3090, the reason the 3090Ti didn’t appeal for me personally wasn’t the price (they ended up being quite cheap after price drops).

It’s the performance gains were minimal over the 3090 and they launched to close to the next gen release. Had the 3090ti launched earlier I’d have likely bought one. I just couldn’t justify the upgrade cost so late in the generation with minimal performance gains.

I’d feel the same if they launched a 4090Ti now. I wouldn’t look twice as it’s too close to the 5000 series. Had it been last year I think I’d have been tempted.

I do wonder what the cut off is for people like me that casually spend 4 figures for a graphics card?

The matrix 4090 3k would be my limit, but I’d only pay that if it offered massive gains.

I could see 5090 aib close to 3k and the founders being £1999

Last edited:
Soldato
As someone that buys flagship parts and paid nearly £2500 for a 3090, the reason the 3090Ti didn’t appeal for me personally wasn’t the price (they ended up being quite cheap after price drops).

It’s the performance gains were minimal over the 3090 and they launched to close to the next gen release. Had the 3090ti launched earlier I’d have likely bought one. I just couldn’t justify the upgrade cost so late in the generation with minimal performance gains.

I’d feel the same if they launched a 4090Ti now. I wouldn’t look twice as it’s too close to the 5000 series. Had it been last year I think I’d have been tempted.

I do wonder what the cut off is for people like me that casually spend 4 figures for a graphics card?

The matrix 4090 3k would be my limit, but I’d only pay that if it offered massive gains.

You could have said the same thing about the 3090 which was only 10-15% better than the 3080 which incidentally was the flagship ampere card.

Associate
You could have said the same thing about the 3090 which was only 10-15% better than the 3080 which incidentally was the flagship ampere card.
Looking back I was quite disappointed with the 3090 in general. I remember not even being able to max out forza horizon 5 at 4k, and getting over 100fps consistently.

I think the biggest thing that put me off the 3090Ti was that it released too late into the generation. Add to that the minimal gains and price.

As I said it would be the same principle for me if Nvidia released a 4090Ti now.

I would find it difficult to stomach paying extra so late into the generation.

When it’s early into the new gen of cards I can justify paying large amounts of money. I appreciate that it’s always diminishing returns at the high end.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking back I was quite disappointed with the 3090 in general. I remember not even being able to max out forza horizon 5 at 4k, and getting over 100fps consistently.

I think the biggest thing that put me off the 3090Ti was that it released too late into the generation. Add to that the minimal gains and price.

As I said it would be the same principle for me if Nvidia released a 4090Ti now.

I would find it difficult to stomach paying extra so late into the generation.

When it’s early into the new gen of cards I can justify paying large amounts of money. I appreciate that it’s always diminishing returns at the high end.
This is why I won't be spending 2.5k on a GPU anytime soon as it will never live up to the price tag. Over the past 2 generations I've run a 3080 then 4090 and only spent £1649 combined yet have enjoyed a similar gaming experience for much less cost than even the 3090.

Soldato
i am curious as to what nvidia will add to the package to encourage 4090 series users to upgrade.

I mean, they need something to keep gamers skiing uphill but the reality is that a 4090 can do decent raytracing at 4k now (maybe with some DLSS).

would the slight improvement in image quality by allowing native 4k be worth an upgrade?

or will it just be for those people who need over 3 figure fps on ultra detail level?

i have a 3090 and i must admit even i am wondering if i will need to upgrade. there is nothing out there which i want to play that doesnt run well on my rig..... admittedly i only game at 60fps so its an easier target to hit.... but the 4090 is significantly better than my 3090FE so ugrading is an even harder sell.

i may just buy a 2nd hand 4090 off one of the mugs early adopter 5000 users ;) just so i have a new toy to play with, esp if i can get one for under £500 which looking at 3090 prices now seems possible.

Last edited:
Associate
i am curious as to what nvidia will add to the package to encourage 4090 series users to upgrade.

I mean, they need something to keep gamers skiing uphill but the reality is that a 4090 can do decent raytracing at 4k now (maybe with some DLSS).

would the slight improvement in image quality by allowing native 4k be worth an upgrade?

or will it just be for those people who need over 3 figure fps on ultra detail level?

i have a 3090 and i must admit even i am wondering if i will need to upgrade. there is nothing out there which i want to play that doesnt run well on my rig..... admittedly i only game at 60fps so its an easier target to hit.... but the 4090 is significantly better than my 3090FE so ugrading is an even harder sell.

For me having a graphics card that can run games at 4k DLAA above 60fps with ray tracing without having to resort to framegen or dlss would be enough.

I tend to use DLAA over DLSS and I've come across a fair few games that cant run at high framerates without using DLSS.

I'm really not a fan of framegen, I see a fair few artifacts and it doesn't feel as smooth as running at native fps, e.g showing 120fps with framegen is not as smooth or responsive as being able to run 120fps without for me.

As you say it really does depend on games you play, but I tend to play the latest releases and I'm abit of a graphics whore and there's already a fair few games that the 4090 struggles with at native 4k. By struggle I mean hitting 120fps as that's my benchmark nowadays as going down to 60fps on an oled after being used to 120 (or 116fps with reflex) feels sluggish.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I’m expecting some large improvements to FG performance, quality and latency that will be gated to the 5000 series only.

I can't see that happening at all. The FG tech will improve, but it will cover all supported RTX cards. What we will see is just the power and speed bump on 50 series at this point.

Also, nv saturation continues:

Back
Top Bottom