• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
The bigger question is where does silicon go after 7nm ? The next step smaller is prohibitively expensive and difficult, perhaps now the only realistic way forward is going to be in different layouts / technologies?

I guess we'll start to see Chiplet mesh architecture come to GPUs.

the next couple generations should be sorted at 7nm

first gen = small 7nm dies
2nd gen = big 7nm dies
3rd gen = new/improved architecture on big 7nm dies

After that it's either move to 5nm or design something different like a chiplet architecture

Man of Honour
I guess we'll start to see Chiplet mesh architecture come to GPUs.

the next couple generations should be sorted at 7nm

first gen = small 7nm dies
2nd gen = big 7nm dies
3rd gen = new/improved architecture on big 7nm dies

After that it's either move to 5nm or design something different like a chiplet architecture

Advances in substrate technology and so on is catching up - making it possible soon to essentially unfold a monolithic design over several chips without penalty - on the other hand though while it might be fast enough for current designs it will probably be a step behind the next generation, etc. so not sure how useful it will be.

Permabanned
The bigger question is where does silicon go after 7nm ? The next step smaller is prohibitively expensive and difficult, perhaps now the only realistic way forward is going to be in different layouts / technologies?

7nm -> 7nm+ -> 6nm/5nm (++?) -> 3nm ......... Game over ;)

Around 2030, the companies must switch to something else, not semiconductors lithography.

Caporegime
People are getting their hopes up to high for the next gen cards.

Conventional performance will be impressive as it is with a 2080 Ti but Ray Tracing will still be very poor.

If RTX Titans in SLI can not do it well now there is no way any new single card will with less performance.
The hype never matches the expectations or reality,but, it'll never stop those hopes getting way too high!

Anyone who wants Ampere should start saving now for an experience which is going to be a little disappointing.

Pretty much how it felt - and turned out - for a 10xx series owner waiting for the 20xx :D

Soldato
Remember the big maxwell to pascal jump? that was on the back of moving from 28nm to 16nm ;)
And now we have a 12nm to 7nm jump - I think expecting disappointing performance will lead to disappointment ;)

Soldato
Guys, we know next to nothing about the new series. It's impossible to make specific technical statements about what the new series will or wont be.

People saying expect disappointment. What information are they exactly basing that on. You have insider info?

I think 2020 is gonna be an exciting year for the GPU as Intel are due to enter the arena.

Not expecting them to compete at the top end, but do expect them to compete with AMD at the mid/low end tier.

Associate
We do not know much about the new gen yet but it`s going to crush desirability for the current top end cards which do not offer much in the way of performance at the ott price points.

Soldato

It goes to 5nm, everything you said about cost etc. was undoubtedly true about the move from the move from 10nm.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/5_nm_lithography_process

Soldato
£600 is my budget for a card so I should be able to get a 3060 card, maybe a 3070, which I'm hoping will still be a big jump from my 1080 card.

Soldato
but when in Q1, as 'Q1' could be June? that's 8 months away

stock may or may not be an issue, gouging may or may not be an issue

just further things to consider

Back
Top Bottom