• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia App - the new replacement for the Legacy Nvidia Control Panel,Geforce Experience and RTX Experience

Yeah the NVEnc H264 is superb quality, just smash it to say over 60Mbps video bitrate and it's as good as native. The whole point of AV1 is that at lower bitrates the quality is as good or better than H264 at higher bitrates whilst the filesize is literally halved (or more).

If you have a system that records shadowplay at say 80Mbps (I have been using 100 from day 1), and don't acre what the file size is because you have a fast upload speed for youtube, then there's not much point going to AV1 anyway because YouTube will automatically transcode to AV1 regardless as the platform migrates solely to AV1 for playback streaming.

AV1 is really for low bitrate high quality streaming with smaller file sizes, at a certain bitrate threshold with no concern for filesize they're all the same.

@mrk I obviously need to have another play with things and figure out what I should be using. What containers support AV1? (I previously used h264 > mp4, would mkv be better?)
Upload speed isn't an issue, but historically, filesize has been (only recently upgraded from a 1TB HDD to a 2x6TB Raid1 NAS)

I don't think I'll let it influence my purchase decisions much at this point, as I've just realised it's almost 2 years since I've uploaded a video :D

Last edited:
mp4 is the standard and shadow play also only outputs in mp4 anyway for both h264/hevc and now AV1. So just stick to the standard. If you transcode to AV1 in Handbrake then you can choose another container like mkv, but webm/mp4 and mkv seem to be the supported containers.

Keep in mind that if you upload the footage to youtube, then the default codec used on a non browser device will be VP9 as youtube does all that processing in each supported codec after upload, so TVs will play back using VP9, whilst your web browser will play back at AV1 if you have selected it as the preferred codec. Again this only really matters if you are playing back at lower quality settings. If you uploaded a high bitrate h264, and are playing back at high quality settings like 1080P (Premium mode) and above, then you are unlikely to see any visual quality difference by moving your captures to AV1.

For my own stuff I only use AV1 as a means of convenience. I have a 1Gbps upload speed so even uploading a 20GB h264 game recording takes no time so really it's all down to the use case. I pretty much exclusively encode my videos to AV1 for archival and my phone camera recordings as they end up being GBs in size whereas they are considerably smaller in AV1 so I can make better use of my phone storage etc.

Last edited:
Well the 3 months free Game Pass activation worked for me on my existing account :cool:

OOlJAp2.png

Yeah the NVEnc H264 is superb quality, just smash it to say over 60Mbps video bitrate and it's as good as native. The whole point of AV1 is that at lower bitrates the quality is as good or better than H264 at higher bitrates whilst the filesize is literally halved (or more).

If you have a system that records shadowplay at say 80Mbps (I have been using 100 from day 1), and don't acre what the file size is because you have a fast upload speed for youtube, then there's not much point going to AV1 anyway because YouTube will automatically transcode to AV1 regardless as the platform migrates solely to AV1 for playback streaming.

AV1 is really for low bitrate high quality streaming with smaller file sizes, at a certain bitrate threshold with no concern for filesize they're all the same.
In my experience with NVEnv AV1 in Handbrake, CPU AV1 gives a smaller file size than using the GPU. So if you're using smaller file sizes wouldn't you use CPU encoding?
Or am I doing something wrong?

How do you claim the Game Pas stuff, do you need a account in the Nvidia App?

How much smaller though? And which version of nvenc in particular? SVT is good but from all I've seen so fr nvenc is faster still to encode for the same quality.

You need an nvidia account to redeem, and a currently non-active gamepass account to be accepted.

Last edited:
How much smaller though? And which version of nvenc in particular? SVT is good but from all I've seen so fr nvenc is faster still to encode for the same quality.

You need an nvidia account to redeem, and a currently non-active gamepass account to be accepted.
Quite a bit smaller in my experience. I think it was the latest version of NVenc available in Handbrake and Nvidia drivers at the time (a month or so ago I think). NVenv is faster (although I found AMD's encoder to be faster, in handbrake) than CPU for sure, although a better CPU might close that gap. I was coming at it more fro mthe size difference though as that's what you mentioned AV1 might be useful for. I'd imagine file size is important even if you have a fast upload speed as I'd guess you'll be storing a copy locally too in most cases?

Thanks for that, I don't think I'll create an account for it, especially as my GamePass is currently active.

Im on the latest driver and NVapp wasnt an option (thankfully)

Seems like a bloatware to me where adverts and other stuff will be pushed through it. I also expect the size will be upwards if 1.2GB instead of a working driver which imo should be a few MB. I’ve installed motherboard and other system drivers and they’re way less if going driver only (no un-required software)

A driver is a driver, I dont want Norton 360 installing with my gpu driver, i just want my gpu to work! MSI afterburner for overclocking. Nvidia control panel is perfectly fine (95% of the option in there ive never even used, ever since ncp has been released)

Last edited:
I have been enjoying the app. Optimising games, recording and monitoring certain CPU and GPU functions with an overlay is, largely good enough.
For more granular control of stats I need three different applications running.
So far, it has impressed me, with my own needs.

Big update :cool:

New features:

• New Control Panel Features
    • New display tab which identifies connected displays to your NVIDIA GPU, and allows you to change resolution, change display rotation, and view your display’s display connector type, G-SYNC and HDCP status.
    • New video tab with RTX video super resolution and RTX video HDR. RTX Video HDR now offers new customization sliders so you can customize RTX Video HDR to your preference.
  • ChatRTX Available under Discover
    • The ChatRTX tech demo is now available to download and install within the NVIDIA app. ChatRTX lets you personalize a GPT large language model (LLM) with your own content—docs, notes, images, or other data–to get contextually relevant answers. It runs locally on your RTX PC for fast and secure results.
  • User Feedback Requests
    • Added ability to sort your games and applications in the graphics tab.
    • Added ability to select different supported languages.
    • Added ability to select 1% low FPS in overlay statistics.
    • Updated “View Rig” to include driver version, Advanced Optimus status, and PC information like CPU and VRAM.
  • Optimal settings support added for 13 new games including:
    • Abiotic Factor
    • Bellwright
    • Bodycam
    • EA SPORTSTM F1Ⓡ 24
    • Gray Zone Warfare
    • Homeworld 3
    • Infection Free Zone
    • Manor Lords
    • Pax Dei
    • Senua's Saga: Hellblade II
    • Soulmask
    • The First Descendant
    • XDefiant
  • Squashed bugs!
    • Fixed an issue where game filter styles are not saved after a driver update.
    • Shortened the time to install, update or uninstall NVIDIA app.
    • Fixed an issue where HDR screenshots show incorrect colors.
    • Fixed an issue with playback of 4K AV1 video.
    • Fixed an issue with screenshots when NVIDIA Image Scaling is enabled.
    • Various stability fixes.
Additional News from NVIDIA Article

• NVIDIA ChatRTX Available From NVIDIA App
    • On NVIDIA app’s Home tab, you can now download and install ChatRTX, along with GeForce NOW, NVIDIA Broadcast, and other NVIDIA applications. With everything available in one location, it’s easier and faster to enhance your experience and unlock new possibilities.
  • GeForce Reward: PC Game Pass
    • Starting from 6am PT today, we’re giving gamers 1 month of access to PC Game Pass, for free, for new Xbox Game Pass members. PC Game Pass has high quality, day-one games available to download and play, including numerous titles enhanced with NVIDIA DLSS, NVIDIA Reflex, and ray-traced effects.
  • Miscellaneous
    • We plan to continue adding the remaining NVIDIA Control Panel options in future updates with the goal of unifying the NVIDIA Control Panel, GeForce Experience, and are on track to migrate GeForce Experience users to the new NVIDIA app by the end of the year.
    • We are also working on the much-requested multi-monitor support for RTX HDR.

The new app still can't do HDR with a second monitor, come on Nvidia. This basic feature has been built into Windows 11 from the start when they did HDR in games so why the hell is Nvidia having so much trouble with it.

The new app still can't do HDR with a second monitor, come on Nvidia. This basic feature has been built into Windows 11 from the start when they did HDR in games so why the hell is Nvidia having so much trouble with it.
:(

When I saw all the new display features I assumed for sure that would have been sorted.

FFS Nvidia. I'm still using the RTX mod instead for some games which works great, so they can do one.

Call me negative Nancy, but all I forsee are troubles ahead when they no doubt force phase out the old control panel, which does everything I want and need. I do some weird stuff with custom resolutions that I guarantee won't make it to this 'update'. But it's got chat RTX I hear you cry so you can talk to your word docs! - **** OFF, and just make things work that your customers actually want.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom