• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia DLSS 5 months on-a win or fail?

Soldato
DLSS I think is useful for providing longevity to cards as they age, as long as the majority of titles from now onwards support DLSS.

The improvement in Metro leaves me really happy with the results. I think it'l be a big player in decision making for people after 12-24 months.

Soldato
I do find it ironic when the new consoles were criticised by PC gamers as not being "proper" gaming machines as they used "cheats" like dynamic resolution,and upscaling. Now PC is also getting upscaling and its like the "must have" feature.

Caporegime
I do find it ironic when the new consoles were criticised by PC gamers as not being "proper" gaming machines as they used "cheats" like dynamic resolution,and upscaling. Now PC is also getting upscaling and its like the "must have" feature.

Thats because Nvidia are doing it, if it was AMD, be hell on, be called cheating ***** the lot :p

Caporegime
DLSS updated in TimeSpy and FireStrike in 3...2...

But it aint cheating, its a feature that just reduces IQ to improve frame rates...that's all :D

Which AMD was doing once through their drivers (for the 7 series), and they got absolutely slaughtered for it, even by the press, they had to stop it in the end :D

Ooh look, they even did it for the 6 series as well, and look who wasn't happy.

NVIDIA Says AMD Reduced Image Quality Settings w/ Radeon HD 6800 Series For Better Performance

NVIDIA has put up a blog post to bring attention to some very important image quality findings that were uncovered recently by some review sites. These sites say that changes introduced in AMD’s Catalyst 10.10 default driver settings caused an increase in performance and a decrease in image quality. These changes in AMD’s default settings do not permit a fair apples-to-apples comparison to NVIDIA default driver settings. NVIDIA GPUs provide higher image quality at default driver settings, which means comparative AMD vs. NVIDIA testing methods need to be adjusted to compensate for the image quality differences.

Getting directly to the point, major German Tech Websites ComputerBase and PC Games Hardware (PCGH) both report that they must use the “High” Catalyst AI texture filtering setting for AMD 6000 series GPUs instead of the default “Quality” setting in order to provide image quality that comes close to NVIDIA’s default texture filtering setting. 3DCenter.org has a similar story, as does TweakPC. The behavior was verified in many game scenarios. AMD obtains up to a 10% performance advantage by lowering their default texture filtering quality according to ComputerBase. AMD’s optimizations weren’t limited to the Radeon 6800 series. According to the review sites, AMD also lowered the default AF quality of the HD 5800 series when using the Catalyst 10.10 drivers, such that users must disable Catalyst AI altogether to get default image quality closer to NVIDIA’s “default” driver settings.

https://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia...on-hd-6800-series-for-better-performance_9482

You couldn't make it up! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Which AMD was doing once through their drivers, and they got absolutely slaughtered for it, even by the press, they had to stop it in the end :D
I didn't know that AMD was involved with physx being used in Vantage :confused:
https://www.legitreviews.com/are-nvidia-physx-drivers-cheating-on-3dmark-vantage_733

But yeah they were slaughterd for it, even by the press. :D

The point being in my original post is that if Nvidia is willing to implement gpu phyx in Vantage to get an overall higher score (leaving AMD out) it's not beneath them to do this again with DLSS.
;)

bru

bru

Soldato
Well DLSS isn't perfect and at the moment it is still early days for the tech. Machine learning is one of the many ways forward for computing and even gaming.
The above posts talking about lowering image quality to gain performance, although seeming said in jest, we have to be careful because some people will look at them and take the bull by the horns and it will be become fact that NVIDIA lower image quality to gain performance. Which of course is complete nonsense and anyone who honestly thinks that is what is happening really needs to go read up about machine learning and DLSS. And not from some half ****** review that is just out to run the premise down.

AMD, Intel and Microsoft are all going to be getting into machine learning, it is just that NVIDIA are first out the gate.

Soldato
I really really like the idea of DLSS. I'd take a slightly softer or worse image but the ability to hit 60fps any day. It should also provide a fair bit of future proofing for any RTX cards [for future titles].

The improvement in Metro from first implementation to now looks great too.

The RTX stuff I saw did really look beautiful and gave Metro a next gen feel. I'll see if I can find the video, Everything just looks that bit more next level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiQv32imK2g&t=1320s

Soldato
I really really like the idea of DLSS. I'd take a slightly softer or worse image but the ability to hit 60fps any day. It should also provide a fair bit of future proofing for any RTX cards [for future titles].

The improvement in Metro from first implementation to now looks great too.

The RTX stuff I saw did really look beautiful and gave Metro a next gen feel. I'll see if I can find the video, Everything just looks that bit more next level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiQv32imK2g&t=1320s

The issue is you can just lower the render resolution and get very much the same performance with better image quality. DLSS has it stands right now doesn't make much sense.

Soldato
The issue is you can just lower the render resolution and get very much the same performance with better image quality. DLSS has it stands right now doesn't make much sense.[/QUOTE

ahh i thought if i decreased render resolution, it ends up looking rly bad on a 4k screen if its anything but 1080p ?

Soldato
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/monster-hunter-world-nvidia-dlss/

monster-hunter-world-nvidia-dlss-3840x2160-performance.png

Furthermore, Monster Hunter: World integrates a new, community-requested DLSS feature - a slider to adjust sharpness, enabling users to make the image sharper or softer based on their own personal preferences. To tweak, simply move the Sharpness slider in the Display options menu:

monster-hunter-world-nvidia-dlss-sharpness-option-850px.jpg

Man of Honour
DLSS needs more than just sharpness control though it is missing actual texture detail, etc.

IMO it is completely the wrong way to do it at the top end though might be useful for lower end hardware - the hardware should be taking over the processing of anti-aliasing at native resolution to offload that from the main GPU pipeline in a programmable fashion using AI rather than trying to rebuild information that isn't there.

Soldato
DLSS needs more than just sharpness control though it is missing actual texture detail, etc.

IMO it is completely the wrong way to do it at the top end though might be useful for lower end hardware - the hardware should be taking over the processing of anti-aliasing at native resolution to offload that from the main GPU pipeline in a programmable fashion using AI rather than trying to rebuild information that isn't there.

My hope is that for the next gen launch they'll start moving on to DLSS 2x.

Soldato
Soldato
How's the image quality per GPU, and don't show me the game settings. Need screenshots comparing the final result.
Because it seems 2060/2070/2080 show worse details than 2080Ti even if the ingame settings are all the same. Which means average FPS is moot point to compare if a 2070 shows "low" quality textures and 2080Ti "ultra" quality.

Go ask your favourite reviewers to test it out.

Back
Top Bottom