• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia DLSS 5 months on-a win or fail?

Caporegime
The whole "supercomputer" thing is a load of ********. They just turned the res down and added buckets of nasty anti-aliasing.

download.jpg

:D

Soldato
Not a very good time to comment is Nvidia DLSS 5 months on a win or fail! Far too early to say.

3DMark Port Royal only just added DLSS support less than 2 weeks ago on 4 February 2019, Battlefield V added DLSS support 2 days ago on 13 February and Metro Exodus today on 15 February and Shadow Of The Tomb Raider may will have DLSS support on same day with Ray Tracing support sometime by end of this month or early March.

Nvidia DLSS software is only just a few weeks old, it not perfect so give it time or maybe it just a quick software solution until software will be replace by DirectML in April 2019 Windows 10 update that would do much better job with DLSS to remove blurring mess some people experienced in Battlefield V. Maybe Metro Exodus patch could fix DLSS blur. 3DMark Portal Royal looked much better with DLSS.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/directml_is_coming_to_windows_10_in_spring_2019/1

It will be very interesting to see what DirectML will do.

Last edited:
Associate
I tried DLSS in FF15 and by boosting the resolution to double using DSR then using DLSS I got some really nice framerates and still an excellent amount of Supersampling.

ff152.png

I try and do the same thing in BF V and it is higher resolution ( both DSR and resolution scale ) OR DLSS. Enabling DLSS by itself turns everything into a blurry mess in BFV, its a noticeable resolution drop.

Soldato
Not the best place to show DLSS but you can still see the blur in the release version of the game.

Credit

spedeedeps

2 points·1 hour ago·edited 1 hour ago

Playing the release version with the new DLSS patch, 1440p + DLSS on. It looks like **** I'm sorry to say. I thought maybe it would look passable in motion especially considering the performance gains, but no, no it does not.

Imgur compression makes the 'off' look worse than it is but it's still better.

OFF
ubnK8a5.png

On
MKdsJDW.png

Caporegime
^^ most of the scene is itch black but those roots in the background look much better with DLSS On. With the DLSS off there is aliasing and odd unrealistic sharpness which you woudln;t get given that lighting, the ambient conditions allowing god rays and refractive properties of all lenses (eyeball or camera).

Now there are plenty of exampled where DLSS is an obvious failure but I think people also have to accept that pixel-perfect sharpness is not realistic either, let alone aliasing and jaggies.

DLSS is not siply scaling image resolution, but it is trying to replicate both a higher resolution and advanced super-scene anti-aliasing. It does so better than TAA but it is hard to compare a motion-based anti-aliasing scheme with something which works on static images.

Soldato
But the visual effect is a lower res with lots of AA. You lose a lot of texture sharpness and it makes things look flatter. You get a better picture (and FPS) just by using a lower res manually.

Ray-tracing just isn't ready yet if they are having to bodge it with DLSS.

Soldato
^^ most of the scene is itch black but those roots in the background look much better with DLSS On. With the DLSS off there is aliasing and odd unrealistic sharpness which you woudln;t get given that lighting, the ambient conditions allowing god rays and refractive properties of all lenses (eyeball or camera).

Now there are plenty of exampled where DLSS is an obvious failure but I think people also have to accept that pixel-perfect sharpness is not realistic either, let alone aliasing and jaggies.

DLSS is not siply scaling image resolution, but it is trying to replicate both a higher resolution and advanced super-scene anti-aliasing. It does so better than TAA but it is hard to compare a motion-based anti-aliasing scheme with something which works on static images.

See I wouldn't have any issues agreeing with you. But how nvidia labeled DLSS is it would be no loss to image quality.
So far that is completely wrong..

Caporegime
See I wouldn't have any issues agreeing with you. But how nvidia labeled DLSS is it would be no loss to image quality.
So far that is completely wrong..

It clearly needs more work but when implemented well there is no loss in image quality, in fact it can look a lot better due to the better sampling. But in a lot of cases it does lower quality because the models are not performing well.

As with all new technologies it will take some time for developers and driver teams to work out all the kinks. DLSS obviously needs to be applied more selectively and some better quality control applied.

there is a lot of ways to improve the technology. For example, when text gets blurred it is because the models aren't trained with a lot of text based images since this is rare in games. but the models can be fed with specific training examples, even boosted using large training sets not from the game itself.
I also expect a multi-model solution is needed with a first pass to compute a scene analysis and image segmentation before more highly tuned networks are selected for each region.

If you actually look at the research that Nvidia, Microsoft, google and others publish then such DL up-scaling works extremely well, far beating any other state of the art method by a long way. But as with most DL system, there are edge cases where naive models fail in fairly bad ways. More engineer is needed to cope with edge cases.

Soldato
There will always be a loss in image quality if it's upsamping. DLSS is a temporary bodge until hardware is good enough to run ray-tracing properly (years away yet). At that point it will go in the bin with Physx, 3D vision, hairworks and gsync.

Soldato
Epic fail, it costs a fortune to get a worse visual eperience. The RTX series has been a one long rip off from the outset, the ti especially, a hugely inflated white elephant, with lies about tech strapped to it to make people think they haven't been bent over.

Mobster
Soldato
I'm changing my vote, from 'on the fence' to a big fat ******* fail. Actually, this round nVidia are not only failing, but its disgraceful and being an avid fan of their cards, it will certainly make me think for next time.

Associate
DLSS itself might have some legs in the longer term but the 2000 series GPUs are a fail because you've effectively paid (a lot) for a feature that you want working now, in 2-3yrs time you'll be on a new GPU so that's not good enough.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'm changing my vote, from 'on the fence' to a big fat ******* fail. Actually, this round nVidia are not only failing, but its disgraceful and being an avid fan of their cards, it will certainly make me think for next time.

Is that really you Lambchop or has someone hacked your account?

Man of Honour
I don't know why Nvidia wastes time developing this tat.

I think they may wish to develop USPs to push their newer cards given the performance increments over previous generations at a given price point have been a bit lacklustre of late. In the old days you would buy a card and then 18-30 months later replace it with another card around the same price point and get a big performance gain which was enough to sell the new card on its own. Now the improvements are pretty small (unless you spend a lot more), so some sort of visible feature is there to stoke up interest. "Wow that lighting is INCREDIBLE!" is probably a better marketing gimmick than "meh, +10% fps"

Back
Top Bottom