• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 / 980 Review Thread**

Associate
TechPowerUp conclusion:

"wouldn't upgrade from anything more recent than GTX 680, but users of older cards should definitely look at NVIDIA's new products. Oh, and AMD seems ****ed."

Lol

Associate
TechPowerUp conclusion:

"wouldn't upgrade from anything more recent than GTX 680, but users of older cards should definitely look at NVIDIA's new products. Oh, and AMD seems ****ed."

Lol

Presumably GTX 770 would fall into the 'upgrade from' category too as it's a just a re-badged, slightly overclocked 680.

When will these cards be available to buy?

Soldato
So much like the 680 the 980 seems to be the mid range performance part of maxwell. Looking at the die size and power there will clearly be a 985/1080 as soon as AMD release something to respond too.

Shame really as if Nvidia did that now I would be buying one

Permabanned
If this is priced well then we have a damn good card here!

Also, for those 256bit non-believers. Seems fine doing high AA and UHD to me...

The cards are bandwidth limited, a couple of sites, even TPU have noted that real world benefit from overclocking is not as high as the overclock percentage.

That to me is the cards not having enough bandwidth to take advantage of the ALU performance.

Soldato
Just been reading the 980 review on Anandtech (great mobile site btw) and that is one impressive piece of kit given its power requirements. AMD are in serious trouble as they have failed to get to grips with 28nm and deliver an equally efficient card and so much for all the advantages of a 512 bit bus lol the 290x is chugging along behind the gtx980 like an old bus.

Normally I give Nvidia a hard time but this time around you have to give the devil its due and admire what they have achieved with Maxwell. If there's to be a 980Ti I wonder what AMD can produce to keep them competitive.

Associate
Probably gonna switch now my purchase from 2 290x to 2 980 one question .. what power connectors do the 980's take and what psu should i go with ( more power is better i know you can get 2 cards running but would prefer to future proof it a little.

Soldato
Probably gonna switch now my purchase from 2 290x to 2 980 one question .. what power connectors do the 980's take and what psu should i go with ( more power is better i know you can get 2 cards running but would prefer to future proof it a little.

Some take 2 6-pin, others take 2 8-pin.

Back
Top Bottom