• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 / 980 Review Thread**

Soldato
Just been reading the 980 review on Anandtech (great mobile site btw) and that is one impressive piece of kit given its power requirements. AMD are in serious trouble as they have failed to get to grips with 28nm and deliver an equally efficient card and so much for all the advantages of a 512 bit bus lol the 290x is chugging along behind the gtx980 like an old bus.

Normally I give Nvidia a hard time but this time around you have to give the devil its due and admire what they have achieved with Maxwell. If there's to be a 980Ti I wonder what AMD can produce to keep them competitive.
I probably going to get bashed for going against the flow here, but seriously? We are getting excited by the 980...why? I mean putting the impressive low power consumption aside...these are "next gen card", have our expectative really sinken so low in terms of performance increase?

Yes the 980 does look to be faster than the 780/780Ti, but while I looked at the bench comparison, it looks to me that the 980 rely too much on the high stock clock to outperform the old cards. I mean especially comparing the frame rate of 780 and the 980, it look as though had the 780 been actually on the same clock as the 980, it wouldn't really be behind it much, if at all.

In a way, it is a bit like comparing the i7 4770K to i7 4790K, and then going crazy because the 4790K is faster (due to higher stock clock) and lower temp. I simply don't get it.

But yes I think that the low power consumption would benefit those who want to SLI/Crossfire but don't have a powerful enough PSU previously, but for those that built their PC with SLI/Crossfire in mind from the start, they'd most likely already got a powerful enough PSU already.

Last edited:
Soldato
Even tho ppl are interested in the new cards remember the 770-780ti cards are end of line from today so there probs gona be good deals to shift stock for the new line. I know one site said the 770 or 760 was getting a good discount.

Soldato
I'm amazed by this release.

Sure the power reduction is a remarkable achievement. But a high end product that in some scenarios isn't able to convincingly beat a product that's been out for over a year, and is from a previous generation?

And people are handing out awards like they are sweets? Maybe the rules changed when I wasn't looking, but years ago if someone launched a product without a large *performance* increase (sure efficiency is great....zzzz) they would have got slaughtered in reviews.

Cant help but think because of the pricing Nvidia are obviously aware of this. And at some point we will see a real upgrade. For all the people saying AMD are screwed? Really? They might have to release a card with water cooling from factory, but I bet it packs a serious punch. Efficiency is over rated.

Permabanned
I'm amazed by this release.

Sure the power reduction is a remarkable achievement. But a high end product that in some scenarios isn't able to convincingly beat a product that's been out for over a year, and is from a previous generation?

And people are handing out awards like they are sweets? Maybe the rules changed when I wasn't looking, but years ago if someone launched a product without a large *performance* increase (sure efficiency is great....zzzz) they would have got slaughtered in reviews.

Cant help but think because of the pricing Nvidia are obviously aware of this. And at some point we will see a real upgrade. For all the people saying AMD are screwed? Really? They might have to release a card with water cooling from factory, but I bet it packs a serious punch. Efficiency is over rated.

These new cards REPLACE THE GTX 770/760... Not the GK110 powered cards..

Now come back and say they aren't impressive, GTX980 is nearly 40% faster then a GTX770 and consumes LESS power!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Think of it this way rare, the more efficient and low power the more power you should be able to ramp up for higher oc compared to older card gens. Least thats what i think is happening and why ppl lookin forward to these. Remember these are aimed at upgraders from the 6xx range not the 7xx range.

Back
Top Bottom