• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 / 980 Review Thread**

Soldato
I understand, but the only reason they are replacing mid range cards is because they don't have the performance. Nvidia are obviously aware of this hence their pricing.

So where is their high end release? I think I understand nvidias business model now, which really started with the 680. Launch a mid range card, marketed as a high end piece.

I don't think AMD are going to need to do a lot to beat these cards at all. And who gives a monkeys if they use a bit more power, so long as they can harness that and turn it in to performance.

Soldato
I understand, but the only reason they are replacing mid range cards is because they don't have the performance. Nvidia are obviously aware of this hence their pricing.

So where is their high end release? I think I understand nvidias business model now, which really started with the 680. Launch a mid range card, marketed as a high end piece.
Exactly.

From performance side, they look more like what a GTX660/GTX660Ti replacement should be after "2 gens", but they are labeling them 970/980 and launch them at the price accordingly.

Associate

yeah is slightly dissapointing in that sense, id hesitate to guess theyll squeeze out another 28nm gen from these, with 970 becoming 1060, current 980 becoming 1070 and a new 1080/1080ti being the real high end cards with maxwell scaled to roughly the TDP of current 780ti, not to say that these are bad cards on an objective basis, like everyone else i just think they are holding back the true high end cards

Soldato
These new cards REPLACE THE GTX 770/760... Not the GK110 powered cards..

Now come back and say they aren't impressive, GTX780 is nearly 40% faster then a GTX770 and consumes LESS power!!

While not totally false you are wrong. The gtx980 is replacing the gtx780/ti as they are now end of the line. You go by name not codename in this day and age.

Soldato
I'm very surprised at how well these cards are doing at 1440p and 4k

hats off

won't be replacing my 290 as its a Tri-X version so cool and quiet - but I'm glad to see I can probably go back to Nvidia when I do replace it

Permabanned
While not totally false you are wrong. The gtx980 is replacing the gtx780/ti as they are now end of the line. You go by name not codename in this day and age.

No you are wrong, you go by core naming and the core that powers the 970/980 is the mid-range core.

The full blown core will be running the higher cards.

Back
Top Bottom