• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
OP
:p Yeah sure boom ,, but in saying that your titan black should last awhile but we know you get the itch and if you get a good deal why not :)

Ha, I'm sure the new cards will be good, just not sure I want to rush in and buy them at launch if 20nm variants are gonna appear early next year. Pretty sure Nvidia will release another Titan flagship in Feb 2015, and although expensive it probably won't be matched until late 2015 or sometime in 2016. So I wanna try and hold out for that. AMD could pull out a monster on 20nm as well. Maybe even stacked vram. That would be tempting as well. Gonna do my best to skip over anymore 28nm cards lol.

Like you say though sometimes a good deal can make the difference. Price can be a game changer when it comes to what's worth buying..

Soldato
OP
One Titan Black is useless. Need at least three.

:p

I'm done with multi GPU setups. Just gonna go for the best single card each time. At the mo it's Titan Black, if these new cards are significantly faster I would consider switching, but price etc will come into it.

Well if it's allot faster than your titan then who cares if it's 28nm?

Agreed, have to see how the new cards overclock as well, how much vram etc. Not going back to 3GB that's for sure. 4GB at an absolute minimum.

Soldato
Pretty sure Nvidia will release another Titan flagship in Feb 2015, and although expensive it probably won't be matched until late 2015 or sometime in 2016.

Surely, there will be no GM100/GM110 Titan or Geforce until after all the Tesla orders have been filled? That has been Nvidia's mode of operations for a few gens now.

These leaked photos must surely be of a GM104 variant. Take GK104 at the 25% die space which GK107>GM107 implies and you get a die about this size. Now whether the things they did for GM107 to get huge bump in perf/watt will apply to GM104 is an unknown. Some of ideas will probably find their way to GM104 so expect enhanced caches and so on, but the real question is whether the GM107 design can scale perfectly or not.

Soldato
OP
Surely, there will be no GM100/GM110 Titan or Geforce until after all the Tesla orders have been filled? That has been Nvidia's mode of operations for a few gens now.

These leaked photos must surely be of a GM104 variant. Take GK104 at the 25% die space which GK107>GM107 implies and you get a die about this size. Now whether the things they did for GM107 to get huge bump in perf/watt will apply to GM104 is an unknown. Some of ideas will probably find their way to GM104 so expect enhanced caches and so on, but the real question is whether the GM107 design can scale perfectly or not.

Yeah the new Titan would likely be in Feb 2015 is what I'm saying if you read the bit you quoted me in.

The current rumors are in regard to GM204, a 28nm part coming this year, a new Titan could be on 20nm and be a near fully enabled Maxwell part in Feb 2015. The past two years Nvidia released a Titan in Feb. They have been very popular so I don't see Nvidia stopping doing it this time around. I guess it will depend on what AMD put out in terms of competition, could force Nvidia to change their plans.

Soldato
Yeah the new Titan would likely be in Feb 2015 is what I'm saying if you read the bit you quoted me in.

Sure, but what I meant is the lead time between GM100 Tesla and any hypothetical GM100 Titan. I had though that lead time was very long but just looking at GK110, Tesla was November vs February for Titan so I guess Feb 2015 is possible if they release/announce a new Tesla by Q4.

In fact, depending on what competition they have by then, they might well release a Titan before they have fulfilled all their Tesla for supercomputers but price it so high it won't sell much. In other words, a spoiler launch if AMD releases a large 20nm die by then.

Soldato
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought GM100 was dead as it was designed using 20nm kits but is now on 28nm? Hence GM20x

TSMC's 16nm is supposedly just 20nm with finfets so there is kind of an idea wafting around that GPUs will skip 20nm and go straight to "16"nm in 2015.

Last edited:
Associate
I think if these cards are based on 28nm, they will come in cheaper than the GTX 780 and 780 Ti did. It will be very cost effective for Nvidia to use 28nm again.

Have a feeling the first 20nm card from Nvidia could come around Feb 2015, one under the Titan moniker and be an almost fully enabled Maxwell chip. The others will be 20nm die shrink of the GTX 870/880 around the same time.

This time I'm set on waiting for 20nm cards. The 28nm cards would have to be pretty special to tempt me from my Titan Black.

Probably gonna go Titan Black > Titan 'Maxwell' or Radeon X90X '20nm'.

There's practically no chance of any big GPUs on TSMC 20nm in Q1 next year. Q3 is realistic, Q2 possible.

Associate
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought GM100 was dead as it was designed using 20nm kits but is now on 28nm? Hence GM20x

TSMC's 16nm is supposedly just 20nm with finfets so there is kind of an idea wafting around that GPUs will skip 20nm and go straight to "16"nm in 2015.

No chance. H2 2016 at the earliest.

Soldato
I'm done with multi GPU setups. Just gonna go for the best single card each time. At the mo it's Titan Black, if these new cards are significantly faster I would consider switching, but price etc will come into it.

Maybe at 1080, which begs the question why you have a Black :p

Two Blacks won't get you much more than 40 fps in certain games at 4K

Soldato
I was reading a thread on anands about Samsung sharing its IP with GF. It seems they might be able to offer 14nm low power next year but GPUs nope.

Man of Honour
What about Globalfoundries Dresden? rumours of the next gen GPU's coming from there persist.

There was rumour of them ramping up to produce 20nm GPUs for AMD as AMD didn't have any large volume on TSMC but I've never seen it confirmed.

Soldato
OP
Originally Posted by Boomstick777

Maybe at 1080, which begs the question why you have a Black :p

Huh? Black copes very well @ 1440P, 290X was very good as well.

Always prefer single card over dual for gaming. Like two for benching, but with GPU's getting so powerful now and even more so going forward. I'm going to stick with best single GPU available at the time.

just looking at GK110, Tesla was November vs February for Titan so I guess Feb 2015 is possible if they release/announce a new Tesla by Q4.

In fact, depending on what competition they have by then, they might well release a Titan before they have fulfilled all their Tesla for supercomputers but price it so high it won't sell much. In other words, a spoiler launch if AMD releases a large 20nm die by then.

Yeah it's def a possibility. It will depend on what AMD put out as well. Hopefully AMD will put out a higher end GPU from the start, that way Nvidia wouldn't be able to get away with as much price gouging, and have to launch higher end Maxwell as a response rather than reserving the higher end tier for Titan (High price) status.

Tbh it might suit AMD just as much as Nvidia the way the past couple years have played out.

Last edited:
Associate
What about Globalfoundries Dresden? rumours of the next gen GPU's coming from there persist.

Tonga and X 3xx are both meant to be GF 28nm. We don't really know when or if AMD will use GF 20nm for GPUs. It's much more likely that AMD (as opposed to NVIDIA) will skip 20nm in favour of a smaller node, as GF / Samsung seem to have made some significant headway on them.

Back
Top Bottom