• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
OP
Gigabyte to launch GeForce GTX 880 G1 Gaming in September

Expreview has recently interviewed Gigabyte’s graphics marketing manager during ChinaJoy 2014. According to him, Gigabyte is preparing G1 Gaming branded GeForce GTX 800 series.

Liu Mengzong revealed that his company is currently working on a new, completely modified graphics cards from G1 series. The G1 Gaming series is a brand new line of products, which was revealed with Z97/H97 motherboards. Of course Gigabyte had G1 series for some time now (Like G1.Sniper, G1.Assassin), but G1 Gaming is a new sub-brand designed specifically for gamers.

GTX 880 TDP is so low, that 450 Watts would be enough for two cards.

http://videocardz.com/51133/gigabyte-launch-geforce-gtx-880-g1-gaming-september

Last edited:
Caporegime
If it is 20% better than a 780ti I might be tempted to upgrade from my 780 to one as it should be a 25-30% increase which I won't mind paying for unless they come in at £600.

Soldato
OP
Despite lack of die shrink, it looks like the Maxwell architecture has improved performance per watt dramatically. GTX 880 SLI at 450Watts is very impressive if still on 28nm.

These cards will be great for people on older cards like GTX 580. A decent upgrade, hopefully GTX 780 Ti performance at lower price and much better performance per watt. We could see 8GB version as well. I have no doubt these will still sell a ton despite people being bored with 28nm..

They might even convince me (; Lack of funds mean I may have to hold out anyway :p

Next year I can see these being re-spun on 20nm and sold as midrange, while GM210 (Titan / GTX 880Ti) takes flagship position..

Last edited:
Soldato
Despite lack of die shrink, it looks like the Maxwell architecture has improved performance per watt dramatically. GTX 880 SLI at 450Watts is very impressive if still on 28nm.

These cards will be great for people on older cards like GTX 580. A decent upgrade, hopefully GTX 780 Ti performance at lower price and much better performance per watt. We could see 8GB version as well. I have no doubt these will still sell a ton despite people being bored with 28nm..

They might even convince me (; Lack of funds mean I may have to hold out anyway :p

If its true, then yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 10% faster than a 780ti and just have the power draw and thermals/accoustics as the main selling point until the 880 ti card or titan refresh using maxwell is released.

Caporegime
If these are ~ £400, are a decent bit faster than a 780Ti and have the power draw that is hinted, i may well sell my two 670's and get one.

Then stick another one in sli when the gk110 equivalent part comes out and the 880's are going for peanuts (a la 670/680 stock clearance bargains)

Last edited:
Caporegime
The last time I made a big claim, I was wrong by 15 months :D

So might as well go for a double header..... I don't think that the 880 GTX G1 will be faster than the 780Ti and will probably be ~ a 780 performance @ 1080P for £350.

Can't wait to be wrong :D

Soldato

Next year I can see these being re-spun on 20nm and sold as midrange, while GM210 (Titan / GTX 880Ti) takes flagship position..

You know you'll buy one. :D

Soldato
I find it funny how both AMD and Nvidia seem to be bringing to the table new GPU's in a few months, but both seem to be nothing more than rehashed cards with a lower power draw. Do you think they were both trying to get something big out to beat the other (namely full phat maxwell) and realised it just wasn't possible so decided to launch a half ass card to just milk more money in the run up to proper Maxwell?

Seems like a really pointless launch for both Nvidia and AMD if you ask me.

Soldato
I find it funny how both AMD and Nvidia seem to be bringing to the table new GPU's in a few months, but both seem to be nothing more than rehashed cards with a lower power draw. Do you think they were both trying to get something big out to beat the other (namely full phat maxwell) and realised it just wasn't possible so decided to launch a half ass card to just milk more money in the run up to proper Maxwell?

Seems like a really pointless launch for both Nvidia and AMD if you ask me.

Last I read AMD are not bringing out anything "highend" just mid range replacement stuff.

If Nvidia are releasing the GTX 880 is has to be better than the 780Ti otherwise the whole naming system just becomes a joke.

yet the rumours are a $500 price tag so unless its really cheap to make, they are almost shooting themselves in the foot as they must be making loads on the 780's by now.

Caporegime
Last I read AMD are not bringing out anything "highend" just mid range replacement stuff.

If Nvidia are releasing the GTX 880 is has to be better than the 780Ti otherwise the whole naming system just becomes a joke.

AMD did it with the 5870 and the 6870. It was tough, but we survived ;)

Back
Top Bottom