• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Permabanned
Can it displace the Titan Black? If not then we know it will fall in between 780ti and TB i guess but much lower power consumption. That seems to be what was said about the G1 card. And they also said it would be cheaper i cannot recall anyone saying anything about speed or big boosts ahoy!

It would open up SLI for a lot of people who do not have a kilowatt psu which might be cool. But i still do not think i would buy two even if they were £400. Actually that probably does sound about right and Titan at £750? The vram option will block people from using two of them for 4K and leave two Titans as the only option. Then everyone can get milked until Q2 2015!

Soldato
Ha, yeah I'm only kidding.. I would never sell my own kidney ;)

It will be faster than the 290X for sure :p Not sure if it will beat the GTX 780 Ti, maybe have parity in performance, and lower power consumption / lower price point.

Wonder how AMD are getting on with the new HD 7970 R9 280X Tonga GPU?

It needs to be a damn sight faster than the 290X or Ti for me, like you i've had both and tbh, i couldn't tell the difference between them, even with a fps counter showing, both winning some and losing some.

But i do fancy a change and hopefully the 880/880ti will fit the bill nicely:), my only concern is if it's 256bit, as the plan is to go 4K or superwide 3440X1440 at the same time.

Not that i think it'll cause problems if it is mind, i genuinely don't know the effects of a smaller memory interface when gaming at high res, i just (maybe wrongly) assumed that it wouldn't be great.

Soldato
OP
It needs to be a damn sight faster than the 290X or Ti for me, like you i've had both and tbh, i couldn't tell the difference between them, even with a fps counter showing, both winning some and losing some.

But i do fancy a change and hopefully the 880/880ti will fit the bill nicely:), my only concern is if it's 256bit, as the plan is to go 4K or superwide 3440X1440 at the same time.

Not that i think it'll cause problems if it is mind, i genuinely don't know the effects of a smaller memory interface when gaming at high res, i just (maybe wrongly) assumed that it wouldn't be great.

I preferred the Sapphire Tri-X 290X over the 780Ti, and the Titan Black over them all. I think the GTX 880 could be a better priced card in that same performance tier maybe +5% could be more OC headroom, while using less power and an extra GB of vram. Not a bad deal if it's priced right. Think the big jump will come with 20nm from both camps.

Soldato
I preferred the Sapphire Tri-X 290X over the 780Ti, and the Titan Black over them all. I think the GTX 880 could be a better priced card in that same performance tier maybe +5% could be more OC headroom, while using less power and an extra GB of vram. Not a bad deal if it's priced right. Think the big jump will come with 20nm from both camps.

I must say the Titan black does look a awesome piece of kit, and i'd agree, not a bad deal at all Boom if the price is right.

Associate

This will be good having extra vram but from people ive spoke to the limiting factor for people who want bigger resolutions would be the 256bit bus?

Soldato
I believe we should all have wait to see.

Even the 256bit bus is a rumour. It could come around with a 512bit one......

As for "power", the limiting factor on 4K, isn't that much the GPU but the VRAM & bus.

Even a single overclocked GTX780 can happily push 4K. It's issues are VRAM and bus.

But again depends what you play. For example TESO at 4K downsampling, with 2 MSAA , needs 2833MB VRAM and with everything maxed (incl ESO Launcher hacks, AF16 enforced, Ambient occlusion, highest textures available) hovers on 40-50 fps on hundreds of people per side battles in Cyrodiil. Under normal "pve" play, the fps is constant 70+.

Any Gsync monitor can iron out the below 60 fps issue and have a nice laugh waiting the 20nm GPUs, without wasting money.

So everything is subjective at the end of the day.....

Soldato
OP
This will be good having extra vram but from people ive spoke to the limiting factor for people who want bigger resolutions would be the 256bit bus?

I think between 256/384/512 there might be a few fps between resolutions up to 1440P and possibly a few more at 4K, most people still game on 1080P. Even with 4K, more raw GPU performance (ROPs, TMU's, SP's / Cuda Cores) are needed to truly push that many pixels, so with current tech that is more of a limitation than slightly lower memory bandwidth.

With HBM and core advancements / die shrinks / more room for SP's / Cuda cores etc, then we will see truly capable 4K cards. Nearer the time that 4K is more mainstream as well.

Historically, cards with the higher bus performed worse than the at that time competitor cards with more cores or ROP's / TMU's etc and lower memory bus, or with relative parity where cards have similar core capability but difference in memory bus. (I.e HD 2900 XT '512' VS 8800 GTX '384' or R9 290X '512' VS GTX 780 Ti '384'). If you look at these for an example,

Despite AMD cards having the higher memory bus the overall bandwidth is not that different as to hinder the lower bus Nvidia cards. This will still be the case while we are core limited, HBM and die shrinks could solve a lot of these problems, more room for cores and stacked memory giving 1TB+ Bandwidth and using less power. This will hopefully all come together in 2016 with Pascal and AMD's then alternative. HBM will offer a level of memory bandwidth that will make a difference far more significant than current 256/384/512 does.

The difference we have between high end cards now, is irrelevant in the face of what's coming with HBM '1TB'+ Bandwidth. So really any card we buy in next couple of years from AMD / Nvidia will be usurped by HBM capable cards. At that time when HBM is available looking back at arguing over 256 VS 384 VS 512 memory bus will seem ridiculous :p

As really any card bought pre HBM isn't worth worrying to much about memory bandwidth being a limitation. Even in the case where there is a lower bus, the memory is usually just clocked higher so that the overall bandwidth is not that much of a difference to really be a limiting factor. SP's / Cuda Cores / ROP's and TMU's will have more impact than slightly more or less memory bandwidth. HBM will truly remove any bandwidth bottleneck and at the same time HBM is viable we will be closer to the amount of SP's / Cuda Cores / ROP's and TMU's needed to be able to push 4K's worth of pixels.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It always brings me back to my 680s and running 3x1080 screens in surround. With 1 screen, I would have more frames than Tonester did but when we were both at 3 screens, he beat me by a big margin with his 7970s. The 256 bit bus struggled at that res. Of course, things might be different now and time will tell but I wouldn't want less than 6GB for 4K

Associate
Quick question, love to know what you guys think.

Might have the opportunity to pick up a month old Titan Black for £500. Do you think that's worth it, rather than waiting for these cards? I have every intention of gaming at 4K (I'd buy another GPU) resolutions in the near future.

Soldato
OP
Quick question, love to know what you guys think.

Might have the opportunity to pick up a month old Titan Black for £500. Do you think that's worth it, rather than waiting for these cards? I have every intention of gaming at 4K (I'd buy another GPU) resolutions in the near future.

Yeah why not, you can always sell it on later on if needed. Titan Black is a beast !

Associate
More the point that 4gb isnt enough really. 1400p struggles with 3gb in some cases so its to be expected now. Its the reason I want to sell my 780s as the extra vram will come in handy however if they only 256bit then I dont think I will be any better off

As boom explained above the bus width is less of a sticking factor than made out and other things like rops also make a difference at high resolutions. An example is the 780Ti smaller bus width is less of a problem because the memory is clocked high to keep up with AMDs 512bit bus.

The main thing that holds the 780Ti back at high resolutions is the vram, especially in sli.

Soldato
More the point that 4gb isnt enough really. 1400p struggles with 3gb in some cases so its to be expected now. Its the reason I want to sell my 780s as the extra vram will come in handy however if they only 256bit then I dont think I will be any better off

Which games are you struggling with 3GB? I have monitor in sig so I'm interested.

Back
Top Bottom