• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

bru

bru

Soldato
Don't matter if the GTX870 was slightly slower than the GTX780...Nvidia will just wave the "lower power-consumption and temp" feature really hard like they did for the GTX750/GTX750Ti, and people will buy them even if they can get slightly faster card at the same price, but won't go for them being of being "old gen and hotter running"...

Erm yes power consumption was mentioned but they were also faster than what came previously. You have to remember, that the 750 is a GM107 part so that goes up against the GK107 parts (630,640,645,650) but they turned out faster than some of the GK106 parts with a third less cuda cores as well. (See chart that has been posted several times in this thread and even on this very page)

The 750ti with its 640 cores and 128bit bus is as fast as the 650ti boost with 768 cores and 192bit bus.

This is probably the most relevant as the new 870/880 will have a smaller bus than the existing 780's. So if my maths hasn't failed me (which it probably has) taking the bus difference into account as well, a 880 with 2400 cores would be about the same speed as the 780ti. (there is also a slight clock speed difference the 750ti being at 1020mhz, and the 650ti boost being at 980mhz. 780ti base clock speed is only 876mhz and obviously we have no idea what the new cards will be clocked at.)

[/waffle mode]

Soldato
OP
Gigabyte confirms Nvidia GeForce GTX 880 September launch

(Bit-Tech) Gigabyte has jumped the gun with confirmation that it will be launching a card family based on Nvidia's latest GeForce GTX 880 design in September, ahead of the company's formal announcement of the part.

While the mobile GeForce GTX 880M part was announced back in March, Nvidia has been silent on when its desktop equivalent would hit the market. Now, an interview with a Gigabyte representative published and then deleted by Expreview, but not before techPowerUp was able to copy down the details, offers a date: September 2014.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwa...=Feed:+bit-tech/news+(bit-tech.net+News+Feed)

Also,

Gigabyte Readies GeForce GTX 880 G1 Gamer, September Launch

A Gigabyte executive, in an interview with Expreview on the sidelines of ChinaJoy Game Developers Conference, confirmed that NVIDIA will launch its next-generation GeForce GTX 880 high-end graphics card in September, 2014. He said that in context of disclosing that his company is working on a custom-design card based on the new chip, named GTX 880 G1.Gamer. The new card will be designed with a massive cooler capable of handling thermal loads as high as 650W. What this means is, with its fans spooled down, the cooler will be able to passively cool the GPU over a wider temperature band, regardless of the GPU load. The fans will begin to kick in only at a higher temperature. Based on the "Maxwell" architecture, the GTX 880 could step up performance-per-Watt metrics for NVIDIA

http://www.techpowerup.com/203782/gigabyte-exec-confirms-geforce-gtx-880-september-launch.html

Soldato
OP
Question is do I cash in on my 780 Gaming editions now while they still worth something as I fancy an 880?
Only gaming at 1400p but its making me think

Yeah go for it mate, nothing beats new and shiny GPU's :D

In the same way you're debating whether to cash in your 780's. I'm debating which of my organs I don't need... Nobody needs two kidneys right? :p

bru

bru

Soldato
Well this is it, I mean what massive improvements are we realistically likely to see even with 20nm?

Improvements will be there but realistically how much? who knows.
In my opinion the 880 will be between 0-50% faster than the 780ti depending on programme used, with the 780ti being faster in some stuff, thinking back to the 580-680 the 580 was faster in certain applications, but he 680 was generally faster overall.

20nm will bring another similar increase.

I can see that this is the way forward for both companies effectively midrange cards, as high end, then high end each basically being a new generation.

Just like the TV industry when they had to have a break in all the series due to the writers strike, and now nearly all series come in two halves.

Soldato
In my opinion the 880 will be between 0-50% faster than the 780ti depending on programme used, with the 780ti being faster in some stuff, thinking back to the 580-680 the 580 was faster in certain applications, but he 680 was generally faster overall.
But as someone already mentioned, unlike the 580 to 680 transition, there's no die strink this time round...

Well, not long to go now if the launch date is right...guess we'll find out soon enough.

Soldato
OP
Beer is more important than a new GPU, so I will be needing both my kidneys :D

Ha, yeah I'm only kidding.. I would never sell my own kidney ;)

Don't hold your breath mate. ;)

It will be faster than the 290X for sure :p Not sure if it will beat the GTX 780 Ti, maybe have parity in performance, and lower power consumption / lower price point.

Wonder how AMD are getting on with the new HD 7970 R9 280X Tonga GPU?

Back
Top Bottom