• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Associate
Why the hell are these pleb cards selling so well? They don't perform any better ffs. Just goes to show how brainwashed people are, "just buy the latest nvidya" hurp durp.

Turns out that people like cards that are faster than the previous gen, dropped the price levels by quite a bit and also don't turn your PC room into a sauna while gaming.

They got praise from reviewers because they were faster, put out less heat, and were a better value than anything else on the market. The competitor took too long to get their price cuts out (and they even claim they didn't cut the price which is ridiculous) to affect the press these cards were getting and here we are.

Also huge majority of the people buying these aren't upgrading from GK110 cards. So for the majority of buyers they do definitely perform better than their previous card. Most of the people buying them are going to be coming from 480s, 470s, 560Tis, 570s, 580s, 660Tis, 670s, 680s etc.

Clear upgrade for 95% of the potential buyers, good price, cool card, lots of good press and a nice feature stack = good sales.

Soldato
OP
Turns out that people like cards that are faster than the previous gen, dropped the price levels by quite a bit and also don't turn your PC room into a sauna while gaming.

They got praise from reviewers because they were faster, put out less heat, and were a better value than anything else on the market. The competitor took too long to get their price cuts out (and they even claim they didn't cut the price which is ridiculous) to affect the press these cards were getting and here we are.

Also huge majority of the people buying these aren't upgrading from GK110 cards. So for the majority of buyers they do definitely perform better than their previous card. Most of the people buying them are going to be coming from 480s, 470s, 560Tis, 570s, 580s, 660Tis, 670s, 680s etc.

Clear upgrade for 95% of the potential buyers, good price, cool card, lots of good press and a nice feature stack = good sales.

+1

Caporegime
Why the hell are these pleb cards selling so well? They don't perform any better ffs. Just goes to show how brainwashed people are, "just buy the latest nvidya" hurp durp.

what? low noise, low heat, low price for the 970. perfect upgrades for people on anything below a 290/290X/780/780Ti

Soldato
I'm just worried about the state of the enthusiast community when cards with worse specs, bodge-job silicon and 5% performance gain are universally lauded. It's like everyone's gone mad. Then to top it off casual users rush out to buy it in droves, it sends a message that we can be safely ignored and not even catered to in the future. :(

Caporegime
I'm just worried about the state of the enthusiast community when cards with worse specs, bodge-job silicon and 5% performance gain are universally lauded. It's like everyone's gone mad. Then to top it off casual users rush out to buy it in droves, it sends a message that we can be safely ignored and not even catered to in the future. :(

The 980 is pretty much at least 10-15% faster than a 780Ti whilst using significantly less power and generally running cooler and quieter.

No it isn't the biggest jump in the world but the efficiency is fantastic and we all now a full fat Maxwell card will come in 2015 which will likely be 40-50% quicker than a 780Ti.

If it was as you say only a 5% increase and it had no other plus points (like power/thermals) then I would agree but the 900 series is a pretty good release from Nvidia in my opinion. Especially as they priced the 970 so competitively.

Unfortunately, due to AMD not having anything of note to release this year, Nvidia yet again had the opportunity to release their GM204 "mid range" cards as flagships and hold back the GM200 until AMD decide to join in.

Last edited:
Soldato

I thought the 900 series so far really was the 680>770 replacements that just happen to beat the older gen flagship range and the true 780-titan black range replacement will be released later? Its just the numbering system tbh is stuffed up :)
And thats why the 680 and 670's were used in nvidia's slides comparing them performance increase, Which is more than 5%

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/performance
970 compared to a 670 which became a 760
The only concern i have with maxwell is the cost if indeed its the midrange replacement, Yes the performance is great for midrange (The fact it beats older gen top end tbh doesnt stop it being midrange in the scheme of things) but it is still a good chunk of dosh for a midrange card and i do wonder what cost the full fat maxwells will cost

Last edited:
Associate
bodge-job silicon

wat.

Also one of the biggest reasons that enthusiasts and tech press are excited about maxwell is that the architecture seems great. It doesn't have to be the products themselves (which TBH did create a stir since the 970 on launch made every single card over $250 pretty much useless) which are exciting, GM204 just gives us a sneak peak what will happen when NV brings out GM200 with more ROPs, more memory controllers, more cuda cores, more everything.

But yeah, the 900 series is great for anyone that's not coming from GK110/hawaii.

Soldato
OP

Worse specs? I think somehow you're missing that this is a new architecture. Maybe you think because the 290X has a 512Bit Bus it is somehow better spec? The old HD 2800XT had a 512-bit memory interface as well, you wouldn't want to run that now would you?

Maxwell is a new architecture with more efficient / advanced CUDA cores, Maxwell cores are faster / more efficient than any other current cores / shaders. Plus the 970 / 980 have more ROPS and extra VRAM.

I literally don't understand how you think it's worse spec? :eek:

They just don't need as many cores as AMD to be faster, it's newer more advanced more efficient architecture. Came in at a cheaper price point with more performance, less power use etc. Why do you think there were so many positive reviews? You baffle me tbh lol.

Caporegime
I wonder why my 4 ancient Titans without bios mods or big volts run Heaven 4 @4K faster than 4 GTX 980s.:confused::D:)

Well as they had double the release price of the 980 I would hope so too :p

I am sure bandwith, more vram and more mature 4 way sli drivers all come in to play with that as well.

Caporegime
I wonder why my 4x 980s are a lot faster than the 4 Titans @1080p running Heaven 4.:D:p:confused::)

vram and bandwith :p. Come on we all know that despite Nvidia's claims, the 980's aren't designed for 4k.

4k in future games over the next few years will need at least 6gb of vram, probably more.

Associate
Soldato
OP
Wow, that's got to be GM200.

I don't think we'll see a consumer version until 16nm but still, that's 50% more shaders and memory bandwidth than GM204, so a huge boost over 980.

If this indeed GM200 (Tesla) it means it's ready to go now and already being tested. Should launch on 28nm within next few months. Nvidia will be waiting for AMD to show their hand and then drop the GM200 bomb shell.

This is the first legit benchy, this is most likely Tesla GM200, with the consumer GeForce chip coming with 6GB DDR5 and with compute gimped. It will be an absolute monster !!

Soldato
How do you know AMD aren't the ones waiting to drop the bombshell?

Maybe Fiji BTFO's GM200. And bear in mind 290X embarrassed Titan with far fewer (~30%) transistors. Fiji will have as many as Titan.

Titan, Fiji? Red Dwarf anyone? :D

Don

Maybe Fiji BTFO's GM200. And bear in mind 290X embarrassed Titan with far fewer (~30%) transistors. Fiji will have as many as Titan.

Nvidia are in the driving seat, they do not have to do anything until AMD show what they have.(Nvidia might not be able to beat it though)

Soldato
OP

AMD will always have something to counter and then Nvidia, it's how the game is played, and how we have empty wallets :o

Looking forward to 20nm + HBM from AMD and GM200 from Nvidia, the age of the behemoth GPU's is upon us :D:p

Back
Top Bottom