• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
It's not looking like anyone will use 20nm, I think they'll both be 28nm and we'll get 16nm this time next year as TSMC have said Q2. What I think will happen after that is 16nmff+ will provide a mid-gen further shrink. It's supposed to come about 6 months after. Perhaps we'll see HBM gen2 on those products.

So in early 2016 you would have 490X HBM going up against Pascal HBM/HMC both on 16FF+ and be looking forward to 10nm where hopefully some REAL tangible benefits can be seen, expected to begin tape outs end of that year.

Soldato
OP
Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan II reportedly detailed alongside GTX 960

As we're approaching two months on from the release of the GeForce GTX 970 and GTX 980, Nvidia is preparing to launch a few more cards to slot into their Maxwell line-up. Rumor has it that one of these cards will be the GeForce GTX Titan II, based on GM200 silicon.

The GTX Titan II will be manufactured using a 28nm process - the same as Nvidia's existing Maxwell parts - and will allegedly feature a whopping 3,072 CUDA cores: over 1,000 more than the GTX 980. There's also a wider 384-bit GDDR5 memory bus with lossless texture compression, connected to a huge 12 GB of memory.

http://www.techspot.com/news/58793-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-2-gtx-960-detailed.html

Soldato
Boom that's the same info that's already been posted.

Only places that actually find & post new info are forums, some Chinese places, SA & couple others.

Soldato
Worse specs? I think somehow you're missing that this is a new architecture. Maybe you think because the 290X has a 512Bit Bus it is somehow better spec? The old HD 2800XT had a 512-bit memory interface as well, you wouldn't want to run that now would you?

Maxwell is a new architecture with more efficient / advanced CUDA cores, Maxwell cores are faster / more efficient than any other current cores / shaders. Plus the 970 / 980 have more ROPS and extra VRAM.

I literally don't understand how you think it's worse spec? :eek:

They just don't need as many cores as AMD to be faster, it's newer more advanced more efficient architecture. Came in at a cheaper price point with more performance, less power use etc. Why do you think there were so many positive reviews? You baffle me tbh lol.

Yes some valid points but remember Ati were first to adopt the smaller memory bus and gddr4/gddr5 when Nvidia used traditional Big Buses and gddr3. This allowed Ati to compete with a puny small efficient die size on 55nm compared to the masshooosive 65nm gt200.
For memory bus and bandwidth it's all pretty moot with hbm on the way, although you'd have thought Amd would have addressed their apu bandwidth with all that tech they had to hand years ago!!
I congratulate Nvidia on re-working an old process to gain parity +/- with a previous line of high end products, whilst using 800 less shaders and a cheaper to produce memory bus configuration. They still have headroom for 2560 or 2816 on 28nm. I'm not biased to either camp but fair play to Nvidia they re-designed and refined an existing architecture. I'm not convinced by the power consumption of maxwell though, it's clever power switching but only in gaming situations.

Now all we've seen from Amd so far is Tonga, which is too little too late in my opinion and really doesn't offer anything over their existing product it replaces, the reduced power consumption is very much debatable, as it can often be benched against a 280 boost which can use ridiculous voltages (1.18-1.25v) where really those voltages aren't needed.

The rumoured Fiji Specs may seem impressive at first but unless Amd have really refined their next architecture, then it seems like a big lazy v8 approach to engineering. I'll hold judgement until real testing and reviews.

If you're already using a clocked titan, or variation of gk110 then you'd have to be mad to swap it out for minimal performance gains that maxwell V2 provides. (Unless you have a problem and have to jump on anything new that comes out, or heat is really an issue for you )

EDIT 'Amd for Ati + cost saving of smaller memory bus.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Think that is the card Boom posted about minus the actual name.

12GB but much esp price but its a workstation card with dull DP, be better with a 512bit 8GB Ti version for desktop use.

Caporegime
I wonder how much the titan II will be....

My guess is a lot :p

Thing is, if they do indeed release a Titan 2 then we could be waiting until mid next year or more before a reasonably priced full fat GM200 comes out. I doubt NVidia would release a GM200 titan 2 and then kill it's sales and devalue it completely within a few months by releasing a GM200 "985"/"990".

Last edited:
Soldato
The 980m is mostly 8gb already, I would imagine a "1080m" would be 8gb only. Also it's rated for 100w not 120w (the 880m was 120w and the 980m is FAR cooler). A "1080m" would either be 110w (like the 780M) or 120w like the 880m.

Soldato
OP
Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 will launch at the $200 Price Point – Rocks the Maxwell GM206 and 128-bit Bus?

Many of the publications are reporting the launch date of the Geforce GTX 960 following a report from Hermitage Akihabara and Sweclockers.com. However, this is something we told you guys about a week ago, the only new information we see in HA and Swe’s latest report was that they seem confident about the price point and specs. Something I would mention once again, has not been confirmed via Zauba.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-gm206-210/#ixzz3NJ7ma8wg

######################################################

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Launch Date Revealed

Originally expected to launch its mid-range GeForce GTX 960 graphics card on the sidelines of the 2015 International CES, in early January, NVIDIA is now expected to launch the card on the 22nd of the month. The card will be based on NVIDIA's new GM206 silicon, that's based on its "Maxwell" architecture. Among its known features are a 128-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface, 2 GB of memory, and significantly lower power draw compared to its predecessor. The card will draw power from a single 6-pin PCIe power connector. It's expected to be priced around the $200 mark.

http://www.techpowerup.com/208403/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-launch-date-revealed.html

Back
Top Bottom