• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
OP
Any expectation on an 890 card being an early release, as the 690 was? If I remember correctly the 690 was released within a month or two of the 680. Given that the 890 seems to be the early/mid cards of the next gen, I wonder if they'll quickly cram two on on PCB.That will surely bring a nice performance boost over the current gen single chip cards

Be nice if they did release an 890 and not price it stupidly like the Titan Z :p

The GTX 690 still holds up well today, dual GM204 could be a monster, with a decent amount of vram per GPU it would have lot's of potential.

Personally want the best single GPU I can get, either from AMD or Nvidia. Titan II might be the one I go for, fully enabled Maxwell is gonna be a monster ! A Radeon with HBM on 20nm might be very tempting as well. Wish we could get off 28nm already :D Seems like we've on this node forever..

Soldato
OP
Going to be hard to resist buying early as we know just round the corner fuller fat Maxwell's will release.. If there are 8GB GTX 880's that perform around 780 Ti / 290X level but use a lot less power I may be tempted. Otherwise I'm gonna try my best to hold out for the real deal high end stuff on a lower node next year. Tbh I think my chances of waiting are slim to none :p

Soldato
OP
Looks like a great replacement for the 780 tbh, those Rops ad improved Maxwell Cores will nicely outperform the 780 and at lower power consumption. It's pretty much guaranteed when fuller fat Maxwell arrives it's going to be a monster !

Soldato
OP
I like how they haven't speculated a release price for the TITAN X :p

Looks to be an absolute beast though if true.

Ha yeah, Spec is awesome. 96 ROPS, 176 TMU's, 3mb Cache, 8GB Vram. This is going to be a monster, will skip the Ti and wait for the X. Hope it doesn't come out for a while though, my wallet needs time to recuperate, plus Xmas soon :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can't see anything wrong with that.

GK210 would be about 560mm^2, so a big die again. the 980TI should be about 25% faster, and the Titan-X about 35% faster than the GTX 980.

The only thing i would question is "384Bit - 8GB" thats an odd bus width with even Memory.

I would not count it out as they did this on the GTX 660 with some Memory splicing. (192Bit - 2GB)

Yeah I imagine they would rather do that than have to add 12GB. Or maybe they will just be 6GB?

I want to see what AMD are planning as well, HBM could be a game changer imho, not only way more bandwidth, but big power reduction as well. Would be great for AMD if they can get HBM out next year, way before Nvidia's Pascal.

Although it's nice to see what's coming I'm hoping nothing is released to soon. Need to save my coin now after buying X99 and 980 lol.

Soldato
OP
I'm looking at replacing my 290 mid to late next year. AMD or Nvidia, who ever offers me the most for my coin.

Until then i'm happy with what i have :)

That's the sensible thing to do, best time to upgrade will be when a die shrink happens. Should see a nice jump in performance and less power use. Try and keep clear of the milking between now and then..

I fell at the very first hurdle with the 980 :D Just hoping I don't fall at the next hurdle as well 980 ti and 390X :p

Happy with the 980 want to hold out for a 20nm monster from AMD or Nvidia. I think the only thing that could make me want to upgrade again would be the Witcher 3, I must run that game maxed out @ 1440P. Might need another 980 lol.

Soldato
OP
2n_X7_EFe.gif

Soldato
OP
Turns out that people like cards that are faster than the previous gen, dropped the price levels by quite a bit and also don't turn your PC room into a sauna while gaming.

They got praise from reviewers because they were faster, put out less heat, and were a better value than anything else on the market. The competitor took too long to get their price cuts out (and they even claim they didn't cut the price which is ridiculous) to affect the press these cards were getting and here we are.

Also huge majority of the people buying these aren't upgrading from GK110 cards. So for the majority of buyers they do definitely perform better than their previous card. Most of the people buying them are going to be coming from 480s, 470s, 560Tis, 570s, 580s, 660Tis, 670s, 680s etc.

Clear upgrade for 95% of the potential buyers, good price, cool card, lots of good press and a nice feature stack = good sales.

+1

Soldato
OP
I'm just worried about the state of the enthusiast community when cards with worse specs, bodge-job silicon and 5% performance gain are universally lauded. It's like everyone's gone mad. Then to top it off casual users rush out to buy it in droves, it sends a message that we can be safely ignored and not even catered to in the future. :(

Worse specs? I think somehow you're missing that this is a new architecture. Maybe you think because the 290X has a 512Bit Bus it is somehow better spec? The old HD 2800XT had a 512-bit memory interface as well, you wouldn't want to run that now would you?

Maxwell is a new architecture with more efficient / advanced CUDA cores, Maxwell cores are faster / more efficient than any other current cores / shaders. Plus the 970 / 980 have more ROPS and extra VRAM.

I literally don't understand how you think it's worse spec? :eek:

They just don't need as many cores as AMD to be faster, it's newer more advanced more efficient architecture. Came in at a cheaper price point with more performance, less power use etc. Why do you think there were so many positive reviews? You baffle me tbh lol.

Back
Top Bottom