• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
OP
Quick question, love to know what you guys think.

Might have the opportunity to pick up a month old Titan Black for £500. Do you think that's worth it, rather than waiting for these cards? I have every intention of gaming at 4K (I'd buy another GPU) resolutions in the near future.

Yeah why not, you can always sell it on later on if needed. Titan Black is a beast !

Soldato
OP
Maybe this will become the GTX 770Ti (Maxwell) rather than a 8XX branded card? Would fit into the stack nicely, just like GTX 750 Ti (Maxwell).

Could be positioned against AMD's R9 285..

We really don't have much solid info at this point, everyone just seems to be guessing :p AMD / Nvidia doing a great job on stopping detailed leaks getting out.

Soldato
OP
Hats off to Nvidia and AMD for keeping info from being leaked, we don't have any real solid info on either upcoming new cards. Other than they might come from September onwards..

I'm sure we used to get more leaks way before launch in the past?

Soldato
OP
Nvidia Maxwell Geforce 800 comes in September. 20nm?

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/35488-nvidia-maxwell-geforce-800-comes-in-september

20nm desktop chip is ready

Nvidia was always cautious when talking about upcoming Maxwell parts, the first of which was launched back in March and based on the first-generation Maxwell architecture.

This left quite a bit of room for speculation about the second generation chip which was the new architecture shrunk to 20nm. We learned that Geforce GT 750 TI and 750 cards were closer to the Kepler architecture than originally thought, but they were also much more power efficient than Kepler chips, so Nvidia decided to call this transitional architecture Maxwell.

Soldato
OP
I bleeding hope so I sold my 780Ti and have a 7990 in the interim but planetside 2 don't like crossfire :(

Got rid of my cards as well, using a 270, hopefully by the time these launch I'll have the funds for GTX 880 4GB/8GB. Probably will work out good timing for me. I hate all the waiting for legit benchmarks and reviews though, to impatient when it comes to hardware. I wanna see what these can do :D

Soldato
OP
^^ Middle of the 780's :D

Humbug you're trippin

Wouldn't it be great of this was the 870, and the 880 had more in the tank. I get the feeling these 8XX cards are going to offer similar performance but lower power consumption and price. Could always be surprised by the overclocking potential though.

3277 puts it ahead of my overclocked Titan Black, not a bad score at all. Don't what you guys are talking about tbh :p

We don't even know if the score is legit :p

2KvjDsb.png

6sFRh2F.png

Soldato
OP
Looks identical to Win8, sigh. Microsoft milking inbound.

It's Windows 8 with a start menu..

Bit of polish and voila a new release that will hopefully not be bogged down with the same bad reputation as Windows 8 did.

Personally using 8.1 and think it's great, if W9 gets good PR people will say it's amazing and likely just be like W8 lol. Good PR makes all the difference..

Soldato
OP
Lot's of places saying September for Maxwell cards, with the GTX 880 coming first.

Thinking I may go Maxwell as it seems a more complete GPU, compute power is back is spades with Maxwell and performance per watt is much higher..

How many of you guys will buy a GTX 880 in Sept if it outperforms GTX 780 Ti by any margin?

Soldato
OP
^^ Yeah I dropped down to a single R9 270, fancy moving to a single GTX 880. I think despite not being the top part, it will offer 290X/780Ti performance level possibly a bit better but with much lower power consumption, sounds ideal to me. Hopefully get some Maxwell info after AMD's event this weekend. Then have a good idea of how these new cards will perform.

Soldato
OP
All these posts about people selling their primary cards before the launch of an unknown product and I am just sitting here with a gtx 660 and 680 that I have had to sell for over a year.

Props to those willing to take that risk and sacrifice. I'll just "wait and see"

I only sold my card for financial need, if I hadn't needed the money I would have kept it, Titan Black was best card I've used but ridiculously expensive :p Hopefully by the time the GTX 880 and whatever AMD put out next I'll have the funds to grab one.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That is super crappy. Good luck acquiring the funds - no doubt that a bunch of other cards will come down in price on maxwell launch.

Picked up an MSI 780 Ti for a build, ended up liking it so much I got one for myself :p Bit naughty but couldn't resist, this card is a monster. Hopefully last me until 20nm... Oh the hardware addiction is strong :eek::D

Soldato
OP
You need a revolving door on your case boom for how often you swap hardware :)
Grats on the new toy :D

I need some kind of AA meetings for hardware addiction :o

I literally can't resist a good deal on a shiny piece of hardware.. I think I may have a problem :confused:

No doubt I'll grab whatever AMD and Nvidia put out next as well :D

[ZiiP]carrot;26787264 said:
I'm starting to struggle to wait for 8 series....those 780ti's are shiny!

EDIT: Got a small m-ATX case though, can't decide between the KFA2 blower, or the extra £50 for the Asus ROG! Hell I need to check they'd physically fit!

Yeah the 780 Ti's have come down in price to the point where they are good performance for the money. Hard to resist. If you're thinking of two cards go with a blower, otherwise dual fans is really nice, can't hear this card even clocked at 1200mhz+.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom