• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
OP
Speculated GeForce GM200 GPU Details:

Confirmed: GeForce Maxwell architecture
Safe: planned for the enthusiast / professional segment (successor of the GK110 chips)
Pretty sure: 28nm manufacturing by TSMC
Pretty certain tape-out June / July 2014
Speculative: up to ~ 600mm ² die area
Speculative: DirectX 12 in hardware
Speculative: ~ 4000 shader units
Speculative: 512-bit DDR memory interface
Accepted: performance index to ~ 4000 shader units roughly ~ 750% to ~ 800% (level GeForce GTX 780 Ti +40% to +50%)

QypyZZR.gif

http://wccftech.com/nvidias-flagship-geforce-maxwell-gm200-gpu-spotted-ready-consumers-year/

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Patiently waiting for Titan II..

:p

4000 GCN cores with the same memory interface/ROPs as Hawaii vs. 4000 maxwell cores with an upgraded memory bus and more ROPs (compared to GK110) wouldn't even be a competition unfortunately.

You would hope that was the case if Nvidia are going to justify a Titan branding and price again. That 390X is looking like no slouch either.

Right, its not, And Its just a bit of debate :)

Agreed, I made the thread and along with Maxwell discussion, debating between the cards is what it is for. As long as it doesn't turn into fanboy stuff. It's fine. You carry on Humbug.

390X looks like a monster from the rumoured spec, likewise the Titan II..

Looking forward to when these new cards finally arrive !

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nvidia Maxwell Flagship GTX 880 and GTX 870 Release Date Confirmed – Coming this November

Source > Sweclockers.com > Translated > WCCF Tech

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-release-date-gtx-880-gtx-870-october-november/#ixzz37lJrU9pr

After a long wait, we have finally received the first authentic confirmation of the Nvidia Flagship GPUs set to release in 2014. To be clear, we are definitely not looking at 20nm GPUs, instead its the same 28nm node with the advanced Second Generation Maxwell Architecture. The source of the leak is the insanely reliable

Soldato
OP
I'm probably more excited than I should be, I'm just a sucker for anything new. Although 4GB Vram on a 256bit bus? that can't utilize it all right?

It will still utilize it in some scenarios, in the sense that some games now require the extra vram 3GB/4GB+ just to enabled max texture settings etc. In terms of going higher resolution, a 384/512 bit bus would have been better. I think it's more a case of trying to improve performance whilst not using more power, the restriction of another gen on 28nm. So up the core / transistor count and lower memory bus to reduce power. These will likely be great cards for 1080P and 1440P, but not 4K. Although we still don't know how the extra cache will effect things. GTX 750Ti has reduced memory 128 bus bus still does ok VS 192 bit bus cards due to it's large cache design. Maybe Nvidia found a way to do this with 256 bit bus? Save power while doing it..

The bigger cards will likely come on 20nm/16nm. Then we should see all the cores and large memory bus in one package.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I was going to grab a 1440p monitor with a 780 later this year, but i might still do so. or would the 256bit be oK?

If you're ok to wait a while, I would definitely wait until after Nvidia and AMD launch new cards towards the end of the year. We will see price shift on the current stack, plus the new cards might surprise us in performance.

I wonder the same boom if Nvidia has gone back to a 256 bus i hope they have got some new idea so it performs aswell or better then a 384 bus but i have no idea how :)
Hmm could they just shove much faster ram on so the bandwidth is still ok? or do we already know the ram speed?

Yeah exactly, this new Maxwell design, with the extra cache, we just won't know how it performs until we see benchmarks. It's quite a change from Kepler so no one can really say how it's going to perform. Same goes for AMD, we don't really know if they have something high end planned before the end of the year. They could both surprise us..

Soldato
OP
boomstick, I literally posted that two posts before you :p

if you read the sweclockers article there is no mention of it being confirmed anywhere (although that could be google being a rubbish translator). There is also no specific date, just Q4 2014

Haha, I just looked. It was on the page before so never noticed it bud.

Yeah, Sweclockers have got lot's of things right in the past so confident we'll see new cards at some point in Q4.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That score is tame but it depends on price and what potential is in the tank. I would still personally wait for top end before considering moving from my Titans mind. They are serving me well :)

Agreed, they will be good for a long while yet. Better to move from Titan to another Titan like card. It will come prob Feb 2015..

Yeah I guess I'll probably wait to see how performance compares to the current cards before diving in, but I'm probably too impatient to wait for the high-end cards.

Either way I better start saving.

Ha, I would have done the same, having a crazy expensive few months now so out of the game for a while :(

I will be back though :D X99 and Nvidia Maxwell...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
WCCF Tech spinning this as 35% more powerful than the 780.. Not sure that's true, with both cards at stock that isn't 35% more performance is it? More like 10%..

Nvidia Geforce GTX 880 3dMark Benchmark Surfaces – Nearly 35% More Powerful Than the 780

[Rumor] Something very interesting cropped up on the forums of NoteBook Review (via User800). Basically somebody posted an alleged screen-shot of an Nvidia GPU with the name blurred out. The authenticity of this picture is not verifiable, but to the casual inspection it doesn’t appear doctored. The benchmark run appears to be of the Maxwell Flagship GTX 880.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-3dmark-benchmark-surfaces-35-powerful-780/

Soldato
OP
Gigabyte to launch GeForce GTX 880 G1 Gaming in September

Expreview has recently interviewed Gigabyte’s graphics marketing manager during ChinaJoy 2014. According to him, Gigabyte is preparing G1 Gaming branded GeForce GTX 800 series.

Liu Mengzong revealed that his company is currently working on a new, completely modified graphics cards from G1 series. The G1 Gaming series is a brand new line of products, which was revealed with Z97/H97 motherboards. Of course Gigabyte had G1 series for some time now (Like G1.Sniper, G1.Assassin), but G1 Gaming is a new sub-brand designed specifically for gamers.

GTX 880 TDP is so low, that 450 Watts would be enough for two cards.

http://videocardz.com/51133/gigabyte-launch-geforce-gtx-880-g1-gaming-september

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Despite lack of die shrink, it looks like the Maxwell architecture has improved performance per watt dramatically. GTX 880 SLI at 450Watts is very impressive if still on 28nm.

These cards will be great for people on older cards like GTX 580. A decent upgrade, hopefully GTX 780 Ti performance at lower price and much better performance per watt. We could see 8GB version as well. I have no doubt these will still sell a ton despite people being bored with 28nm..

They might even convince me (; Lack of funds mean I may have to hold out anyway :p

Next year I can see these being re-spun on 20nm and sold as midrange, while GM210 (Titan / GTX 880Ti) takes flagship position..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Compute performance is back with Maxwell as well, plus we haven't seen how the extra cache will effect the higher end cards on 256bit/bus. It could surprise us all. Either way if it's exceeds our expectations or disappoints, I can't afford one atm so makes no difference to me :D

I'll be waiting like a crouched tiger ready to pounce on the 20nm stuff next year. Will have the funds by then and hopefully even more impressive cards out.

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Gigabyte confirms Nvidia GeForce GTX 880 September launch

(Bit-Tech) Gigabyte has jumped the gun with confirmation that it will be launching a card family based on Nvidia's latest GeForce GTX 880 design in September, ahead of the company's formal announcement of the part.

While the mobile GeForce GTX 880M part was announced back in March, Nvidia has been silent on when its desktop equivalent would hit the market. Now, an interview with a Gigabyte representative published and then deleted by Expreview, but not before techPowerUp was able to copy down the details, offers a date: September 2014.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwa...=Feed:+bit-tech/news+(bit-tech.net+News+Feed)

Also,

Gigabyte Readies GeForce GTX 880 G1 Gamer, September Launch

A Gigabyte executive, in an interview with Expreview on the sidelines of ChinaJoy Game Developers Conference, confirmed that NVIDIA will launch its next-generation GeForce GTX 880 high-end graphics card in September, 2014. He said that in context of disclosing that his company is working on a custom-design card based on the new chip, named GTX 880 G1.Gamer. The new card will be designed with a massive cooler capable of handling thermal loads as high as 650W. What this means is, with its fans spooled down, the cooler will be able to passively cool the GPU over a wider temperature band, regardless of the GPU load. The fans will begin to kick in only at a higher temperature. Based on the "Maxwell" architecture, the GTX 880 could step up performance-per-Watt metrics for NVIDIA

http://www.techpowerup.com/203782/gigabyte-exec-confirms-geforce-gtx-880-september-launch.html

Soldato
OP
Question is do I cash in on my 780 Gaming editions now while they still worth something as I fancy an 880?
Only gaming at 1400p but its making me think

Yeah go for it mate, nothing beats new and shiny GPU's :D

In the same way you're debating whether to cash in your 780's. I'm debating which of my organs I don't need... Nobody needs two kidneys right? :p

Soldato
OP
Beer is more important than a new GPU, so I will be needing both my kidneys :D

Ha, yeah I'm only kidding.. I would never sell my own kidney ;)

Don't hold your breath mate. ;)

It will be faster than the 290X for sure :p Not sure if it will beat the GTX 780 Ti, maybe have parity in performance, and lower power consumption / lower price point.

Wonder how AMD are getting on with the new HD 7970 R9 280X Tonga GPU?

Soldato
OP
It needs to be a damn sight faster than the 290X or Ti for me, like you i've had both and tbh, i couldn't tell the difference between them, even with a fps counter showing, both winning some and losing some.

But i do fancy a change and hopefully the 880/880ti will fit the bill nicely:), my only concern is if it's 256bit, as the plan is to go 4K or superwide 3440X1440 at the same time.

Not that i think it'll cause problems if it is mind, i genuinely don't know the effects of a smaller memory interface when gaming at high res, i just (maybe wrongly) assumed that it wouldn't be great.

I preferred the Sapphire Tri-X 290X over the 780Ti, and the Titan Black over them all. I think the GTX 880 could be a better priced card in that same performance tier maybe +5% could be more OC headroom, while using less power and an extra GB of vram. Not a bad deal if it's priced right. Think the big jump will come with 20nm from both camps.

Soldato
OP
This will be good having extra vram but from people ive spoke to the limiting factor for people who want bigger resolutions would be the 256bit bus?

I think between 256/384/512 there might be a few fps between resolutions up to 1440P and possibly a few more at 4K, most people still game on 1080P. Even with 4K, more raw GPU performance (ROPs, TMU's, SP's / Cuda Cores) are needed to truly push that many pixels, so with current tech that is more of a limitation than slightly lower memory bandwidth.

With HBM and core advancements / die shrinks / more room for SP's / Cuda cores etc, then we will see truly capable 4K cards. Nearer the time that 4K is more mainstream as well.

Historically, cards with the higher bus performed worse than the at that time competitor cards with more cores or ROP's / TMU's etc and lower memory bus, or with relative parity where cards have similar core capability but difference in memory bus. (I.e HD 2900 XT '512' VS 8800 GTX '384' or R9 290X '512' VS GTX 780 Ti '384'). If you look at these for an example,

Despite AMD cards having the higher memory bus the overall bandwidth is not that different as to hinder the lower bus Nvidia cards. This will still be the case while we are core limited, HBM and die shrinks could solve a lot of these problems, more room for cores and stacked memory giving 1TB+ Bandwidth and using less power. This will hopefully all come together in 2016 with Pascal and AMD's then alternative. HBM will offer a level of memory bandwidth that will make a difference far more significant than current 256/384/512 does.

The difference we have between high end cards now, is irrelevant in the face of what's coming with HBM '1TB'+ Bandwidth. So really any card we buy in next couple of years from AMD / Nvidia will be usurped by HBM capable cards. At that time when HBM is available looking back at arguing over 256 VS 384 VS 512 memory bus will seem ridiculous :p

As really any card bought pre HBM isn't worth worrying to much about memory bandwidth being a limitation. Even in the case where there is a lower bus, the memory is usually just clocked higher so that the overall bandwidth is not that much of a difference to really be a limiting factor. SP's / Cuda Cores / ROP's and TMU's will have more impact than slightly more or less memory bandwidth. HBM will truly remove any bandwidth bottleneck and at the same time HBM is viable we will be closer to the amount of SP's / Cuda Cores / ROP's and TMU's needed to be able to push 4K's worth of pixels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom