• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*****NVIDIA GTX 780 IS HERE & IN STOCK - GET ONE TODAY!!**

Soldato
There used to be a price breakdown of how much each card costs, starting from the chip all the way to the connectors, this was for the 5** series and the 6*** series cards. I can't seem to find it now though from memory the GF110 core cost $150 each.

Soldato
You come across as someone who isn't the sharpest tool in the box but who am I to judge? Only the other day you was advising someone to buy an AMD card for someone who wanted to play LoL in 3D and because you had read on a forum somewhere that AMD 3D is better than Nvidia, this is the way to go but if you played LoL in 3D on your very snazzy 6870, you would realise that it isn't supported in TriDef. You could have cost the OP money had he listened and he would have had a very disappointed brother (for whom he was buying a 3D card, as it was his birthday).

I couldn't care a hoot what Nvidia or AMD charge and if it is too much for me, I just will not buy. I might even have a moan but I certainly won't keep on about it like a broken record.

Absolute tosh as usual. I never said it like you put it at all. I know 3d vision is better supported than amd3d but its also a lot more expensive and we all can't be as rich as the almighty Titan that is Greg. Sometimes looking at a budget can favor amd3d as its not as bad as you seem to think. I got no more time to waste on you tbh.

Caporegime
It's not bigger but has a massive amount more transistors. They also only Fab a single chip and Yields determine what it will become.

I agree the price could be better but I also feel it's not quite as bad as it could have been.

Look at the costing of the GK-110 lineup on OCUK all using the same K20 silicon.

K20 - £3000
Titan - £799
780 GTX -£569

They do not offer the greatest value when compared to the competition but compared to the others in it's family the 780 is superb value. I think comparing something that is hugely more expensive to produce and manufacture is not really a fare comparison in my opinion.

If you are worried about value then you would buy a 7950 or two. But there is a market for people who have no interest in value and want the exotic hardware that is a bit special compared to the rest, This will cost hence why the 780 is around £200 more than the 7970. Performance is not always the key factor in pricing.

here is another comparison.

AMD FirePro W9000 Professional Graphics Card £2800

VTX3D HD 7970 GHZ X-Edition £300

They are both the same GPU, to say its much more expensive to produce than AMD's GPU because its a workstation GPU is just making excuses.

Soldato
It's not bigger but has a massive amount more transistors. They also only Fab a single chip and Yields determine what it will become.

I agree the price could be better but I also feel it's not quite as bad as it could have been.

Look at the costing of the GK-110 lineup on OCUK all using the same K20 silicon.

K20 - £3000
Titan - £799
780 GTX -£569

They do not offer the greatest value when compared to the competition but compared to the others in it's family the 780 is superb value. I think comparing something that is hugely more expensive to produce and manufacture is not really a fare comparison in my opinion.

If you are worried about value then you would buy a 7950 or two. But there is a market for people who have no interest in value and want the exotic hardware that is a bit special compared to the rest, This will cost hence why the 780 is around £200 more than the 7970. Performance is not always the key factor in pricing.

This is the biggest issue I have with people who talk about the Titan's performance, and wanting "the best" and having to "pay for the best".

In the real world, it costs nVidia roughly the same amount to produce a Titan graphics card as it did for them to produce a GTX580 as they are very similar specs wise (not performance).

GPUs are priced per wafer, so the size of the GPU determines its price, and GK110 and the GTX580's GPU are near enough the same size.

They will both use similar PCBs, both 384bit bus widths, Titan's power circuitry is however a bit gimped compared to the GTX580's, but cost wise, that'll balance out a bit due to Titan's extra RAM, despite having 4x the RAM of the 580, GDDR5 has dropped in price since the 580.

So the argument for paying for the "best" just doesn't add up.

Caporegime
Absolute tosh as usual. I never said it like you put it at all. I know 3d vision is better supported than amd3d but its also a lot more expensive and we all can't be as rich as the almighty Titan that is Greg. Sometimes looking at a budget can favor amd3d as its not as bad as you seem to think. I got no more time to waste on you tbh.

I don't have a pot to pee in, so how on earth do you come to the conclusion that I am rich? Another point you made is 3DVision is far more expensive than HD3D but TriDef costs $50 (roughly £33) and a 3DVision kit costs £85. That is £50 more but you have the option of resale with the 3DVision kit and if you couldn't sell it for £50, something is wrong. Once you have the kit, you don't need to buy anything else to game in 3D on an Nvidia GPU, so to state it is far more expensive is complete nonsense.

You have your opinions of which I am more than aware of now and sorry if I am wasting your time. Please feel free to add me on your ignore list and this will save you wasting anymore of it. :D

Didn't know these are out, how's the 780 stack up with a Titan?

They stack very well and with an overclock, they easily pass a Titan. Think 670 Vs 680 and apart from VRAM, you are not far away.

I'm normally corrected by Spoffle :D
I'm terrible with things like this, probably why i'm a manual labourer...:p

Same here. I thought school was a place to make people laugh by acting the class clown. If only I could turn back time but I would still be the same :D

Spoffle and Rusty are kings of spelling and Grammar (in a good way of course) :p

Damn you Gregster :D :p ! Hahaha! Digging out all my builds.

Awesome builds and I hate you for them. :p

Every time I change my system, I picture something like you have done and when I have finished, it looks like something that was done by a drunk man who dropped his kebab into a case and liked how it looks :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Same here. I thought school was a place to make people laugh by acting the class clown. If only I could turn back time but I would still be the same :D

Spoffle and Rusty are kings of spelling and Grammar (in a good way of course) :p

Bruv, that's all I did at school, and I in fact didn't even finish school (I don't have any GCSEs).

Caporegime
Bruv, that's all I did at school, and I in fact didn't even finish school (I don't have any GCSEs).

Spoffle is Danny Dyer! This was confirmed after i overheard him calling a Greg a toilet.

fkcv2q.jpg

Soldato
You come across as someone who isn't the sharpest tool in the box but who am I to judge? Only the other day you was advising someone to buy an AMD card for someone who wanted to play LoL in 3D and because you had read on a forum somewhere that AMD 3D is better than Nvidia, this is the way to go but if you played LoL in 3D on your very snazzy 6870, you would realise that it isn't supported in TriDef. You could have cost the OP money had he listened and he would have had a very disappointed brother (for whom he was buying a 3D card, as it was his birthday).

When you talk about 3d are you buying the nvidia 3d vision kit? If not you maybe better with an amd card. I am pretty sure I have read around here that amd support 3d a little better when excluding nv's own expensive 3d vision kit.

I was going to go 3dvision kit. I only briefly glanced over some stuff on tridef/Hd3d and there didn't seem to be anything like the user base or documentation on it as there is on 3dvision so figured it would likely be less of a headache - if it involves any thinking my brother will just turn it off and play in 2d haha

looking on the Tridef forum, LoL doesn't appear to work with AMD

The 660ti is too much money for what it is. I would settle on the gtx660 which is priced pretty well. You could always setup an oc profile for it which would give it a small boost.

As you can see Greg i asked him if he was buying a 3dvision kit. I never said amd3d was better than 3dvision. I said amd had better support when excluding 3dvision. He said he was going to buy a 3dvision kit and i advised him on a gtx660. I was informed by andy that tridef did not work with LoL which maybe i should have researched a little more but it was hardly the way you put it.

Man of Honour
They stack very well and with an overclock, they easily pass a Titan. Think 670 Vs 680 and apart from VRAM, you are not far away.

I should have waited I guess instead of ordering the Titan when I did. Ah well, I guess the Titan will hold on to its value and may be better in 2 years time when perhaps VRAM has more to do with things.

CBA selling it either.

Soldato
here is another comparison.

AMD FirePro W9000 Professional Graphics Card £2800

VTX3D HD 7970 GHZ X-Edition £300

They are both the same GPU, to say its much more expensive to produce than AMD's GPU because its a workstation GPU is just making excuses.

Titan has 7.1 Billion Transistors, 7970 has 4.1 Billion.

Why would it not be more expensive ?

Caporegime
Titan has 7.1 Billion Transistors, 7970 has 4.1 Billion.

Why would it not be more expensive ?

That does not equate to £250 more.

AMD introduced 28nm at the point of very low yields and brand-new tech.

I would think at that time the 7970 was at least as expensive to produce, yet it cost £130 less (£500 less than Titan) at the time when it was the fastest GPU.

That shows just how big Nvidia's margins are on these, and you would defend them in that tooth and nail.

Soldato
Awesome builds and I hate you for them. :p

Every time I change my system, I picture something like you have done and when I have finished, it looks like something that was done by a drunk man who dropped his kebab into a case and liked how it looks :D

Haha! Dont hate! Love! And share it ofc!

You're builds are mint too, we all have different perspective on how things look. Im sure some would think mine doesn't look right and it could be laid out better.

Back
Top Bottom