• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Depends entirely on the chip, the G1 has the highest out of the box boost so that may help a bit but any 970 will boost to that anyway.

Actually the Zotac card has the highest and is also a 3 fan design.

I guess as I intend to watercool may be I should just go for the cheapest?

The 6 pin and 8 pin connections caught my attention on the Msi though:cool:

Soldato
if you go for water cooling get the cheapest ref card, but you might find that you dont need water cooling if you can pick the right pc case

you dont want the PSU underneath the PCI slots

Associate
Any reason for the MSI 970 being so popular?
3 year warranty and a 'known' name?

The Asus card looks similar (maybe even quieter at idle) and has the back plate?

(And yeah, I'm kicking myself for not ordering one on Friday morning :))

Soldato
I own 2x 2GB Asus GTX670 (OCed it's faster than 680s) in SLI.

is it worth selling and getting single 970 if I only game 1080p?

Latest tech, on par or faster than 670 SLI when overclocked, substantially less power draw, cooler running, more Vram, no issues with SLI scaling in games.

Selling the 670s will just about cover the 970 cost and you can always SLI it latter on.

Associate
if you go for water cooling get the cheapest ref card, but you might find that you dont need water cooling if you can pick the right pc case

you dont want the PSU underneath the PCI slots

Good info thanks:)

I picked up an Antec 1100 dirt cheap last year so baaagsss of room:D

Once you watercool though you feel as if you're not completing the job leaving a card on air:o:D

Soldato
I own 2x 2GB Asus GTX670 (OCed it's faster than 680s) in SLI.

is it worth selling and getting single 970 if I only game 1080p?

no you'll miss the grunt power, because a single 970 will struggle in certain games, go for maximum horsepower always, get SLI 970 straight away

Last edited:
Soldato
no you'll miss the grunt power, because a single 970 will struggle in certain games, go for maximum horsepower always

Don't really care about having the latest tech or power draw (within certain limits)

selling those 670 will fund me 970 easily, my real concern is if it will be at least the same FPS. I don't game that much anymore, so not sure if I'll ever again SLI.

Associate
New to Nvidia... well first Nvidia card in a while anyway. When clocking it seems I can only set 110% power limit, I read the Asus card can be set to 120%?

The reason I ask is furmark seems to report the card is at 109.5% and I wondered if it was limiting it?

This is an MSI card btw.

Associate
... my real concern is if it will be at least the same FPS.

No it won't. 670sli is more or less = 690.

perfrel_1920.gif

At the same time 690 is about 15% faster than single 970.

perfrel_1920.gif

Just pick two as advised above.

Caporegime
Latest tech, on par or faster than 670 SLI when overclocked, substantially less power draw, cooler running, more Vram, no issues with SLI scaling in games.

Selling the 670s will just about cover the 970 cost and you can always SLI it latter on.

This is what i am doing....although i may go sli straight away :D

Crzay thing is,...it would draw less power! Dont the 670s have a 170 TDP?

Back
Top Bottom