• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Yeah that's the point I was making, a slim 120mm aluminium rad can just about cool a card that puts out almost double the heat of SLI 970's, so for SLI 970's the rad space needed from regular thickness copper/brass rads would be minimal and extra rad space would allow the fans to be turned way down :)

I am going to be replacing a single over clocked GTX780 with SLI 970's and don't expect it to affect loop temps much at all.

a 60mm thick by 240 rad isn't too expensive, so yes this will allow you to lower your fan speeds, due to it having twice the cooling volume of a 30mm thick 240

this in turn allows you to have SLI in a case that has the PSU under the pci slots, because all the best pc cases have the PSUs under the slots.

the 7990 is no good, it runs far too hot and loud, so a 980 or a 290X might be a good idea also.......you'll loose FPS but should be ok on 1080p

the 970 SLI is great, but will work out far more expensive than a 980................. because the 980 is just a straight swap out for the 7990.....lots of thinking to do

Last edited:
Soldato
Those who have a card, does the card throttle during long game/bench sessions? I have read elsewhere, that those boost clocks are misleading, cause the power limit on the cards will kick in and reduce the boost.

The power limit is the current limit to how far people can take there cards. But as the amount of power you draw will remain roughly constant throughout a gaming sessions, unlike temperature which will rise as the air in your case rises.

For kepler cards the solution was to flash an unlocked bios (skyn3t's was great as it had huge power limits and no GPU boost so the overclock was 100% controlled by you) but at the moment there is no way of flashing Maxwell cards. But I can almost certainly say there will be a method shortly.

Associate
Isn't it something to do with when your PC is idle/not under much stress the clock will automatically lower itself for less power consumption? It's the same with processors as well; if my PC is idle then my cpu will run at something like 1.3ghz

That's normal rob77, if you go to the sensors tab on GPU-Z and set it to read the max reading for core, run a game then check it, it will report the full boost clock.

Thanks guys :)

It was just when looking here http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_970_gaming_review,26.html that I saw the difference and wondered if it is normal.

Associate
The power limit is the current limit to how far people can take there cards. But as the amount of power you draw will remain roughly constant throughout a gaming sessions, unlike temperature which will rise as the air in your case rises.

For kepler cards the solution was to flash an unlocked bios (skyn3t's was great as it had huge power limits and no GPU boost so the overclock was 100% controlled by you) but at the moment there is no way of flashing Maxwell cards. But I can almost certainly say there will be a method shortly.
I know that, but that is not what I am asking. I wanna know if the cards will throttle once overclocked to say, 1500mhz boost, if for example, they will start at 1500mhz, but over time, drop to ex. 1400mhz.

Caporegime
I've seen it happen on my top 780 a few times when benching, boost speed of 1202, (stock of 1124). Even on 100% fan speed the temps hit 74c, boost will drop sometimes. Does changing the temp target not help to eliminate this?

Permabanned
I've seen it happen on my top 780 a few times when benching, boost speed of 1202, (stock of 1124). Even on 100% fan speed the temps hit 74c, boost will drop sometimes. Does changing the temp target not help to eliminate this?

Then flash a custom BIOS and it completely stops it.

Back
Top Bottom