• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I've had no issues at 2560x1080 in anything. Havent played batman but i've played plenty of other games that should apparently reduced my 970 to a stuttery heap but havent. ie, Shadow of mordor with the HD texture pack installed.

Some clueless reviewers said it was a myth at the time when it all kicked off, some members just regurgitate that crap, mostly because they don't want it to be true.
Im curious, which reviewers said it was a myth and what members are repeating that?

Associate
I have played Shadow of Mordor maxed out at 1080p. Hit 4000MB VRAM, so what just under 4GB and noticed nothing of this frame rate stutter mess. I also read it was more of an issue in SLI. I am non the wiser until, if, it affects me.

Associate
Hi

Got an OCUK 970 (the silver/black one Gibbo helped design) and up to now I've been able to achieve a maximum overclock of +225MHz on the core and +280MHz on the memory. That gets me 1288/1428 Boost and 7572 on the memory I guess (you double it, don't you?).

This was the brick wall for me until today where I noticed I could unlock an option that allows me to change the voltage. I'm basically after some advice as to what is a safe increase and what clocks I should attempt. I've never played with this particular setting before. Thanks. :)

Soldato
Never felt the need to bother with messing around with the voltage on these cards.

The "glass ceiling" on these cards tends to be the "power limit" (110% on my card) and as mine is already hitting this with +100 on the core, pointless trying to OC further unless you flash the BIOS and increase the Power Limit!

These cards are still pretty amazing value when you consider how long they've been out.

Mine boosts to around 1450 (with + 100 on the core) and at 1080 pretty much will max out the graphics on most modern games (EG. Rise of the Tomb Raider).

Associate
I was using Afterburner to unlock voltage. Made no difference whatsoever. The ceiling I reached before was the same even with power set to +87mv. :( Couldn't get an extra boost out of it!

Was hoping to get 1600 boost. :p Will have to live with 1428.

Soldato
As above ...

"The "glass ceiling" on these cards tends to be the "power limit" (110% on my card)..."

If you are already hitting this, then adjusting the voltage will make no difference.

PS. Obviously the cards temperature will have an effect as well.

Soldato
I was using Afterburner to unlock voltage. Made no difference whatsoever. The ceiling I reached before was the same even with power set to +87mv. :( Couldn't get an extra boost out of it!

Was hoping to get 1600 boost. :p Will have to live with 1428.

I got over 1600 with a 980.... by unlocking the BIOS and putting it under water. Performance actually reduced as I went over 1500.

Caporegime
Is it under water? If on air, don't flash the BIOS to unlock voltage.

heh Rubbish :p You CAN unlock the voltage just don't go too high on AIR, read up on what is a safe max voltage on the card. On my card it is bios locked at 1.275v on AIR when in gaming, so those volts will never drop even if the clocks do. Basically it's like running K-Boost and gives increase stability. However I do run a fan profile and higher power limit

Associate
i dont think i have ever seen my card reach the power limit of 110% most ive noticed is 106%. so if i unlocked the voltage would that mean i can overclock further without driver crashes? my best OC is less than +80 on the core. this never changed when i changed the stock cooler for a prolimatech mk26. cooler temps but my OC was not getting better.

i am just waiting on my gpu block to be repaired then i will be going underwater.

Back
Top Bottom