• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Caporegime
My 980 would go to 1650 with a custom BIOS, but there comes a point where the performance increase is minimal or even negative. 1500 is a decent overclock for 24/7 gaming. I wouldn't be going much above that unless I was benching.

Yeah, i feel the same way, i have actually put the volts back to 0.

I just get bored, i'm not happy if everything is running perfectly and i also like to find the limits of the hardware.
It quite something to worry about the frequency you are running on a GPU rather than temperatures, that your clock rate is so high you worry about taking it higher because seemingly every other aspect still has plenty more to give.

Soldato
I've went over the dreaded 3.5GB VRAM limit with my card at 1080p. Batman AK with everything maxed and Gameworks settings all off. It's a stutterfest.

My 980Ti at the same settings is silky smooth.

I've had 970's before, but I've only seen this in the past at 1440p with my 970 SLI setup. I didn't think I'd see it at this resolution (1080p).

Is anyone else seeing this with Batman AK with those settings?

Caporegime
I've went over the dreaded 3.5GB VRAM limit with my card at 1080p. Batman AK with everything maxed and Gameworks settings all off. It's a stutterfest.

I've had 970's before, but I've only seen this in the past at 1440p with my 970 SLI setup. I didn't think I'd see it at this resolution (1080p).

I made it go over 3.5GB in my own project and yes its a mess.

On its own it doesn't really have the grunt for this to be a problem, but they are a pretty bad SLI choice, you would have been better off with a pair of 390's, even the 980's still only have 4GB.

Soldato
I made it go over 3.5GB in my own project and yes its a mess.

On its own it doesn't really have the grunt for this to be a problem, but they are a pretty bad SLI choice, you would have been better off with a pair of 390's, even the 980's still only have 4GB.

I don't have the SLI setup anymore, it's my single card that's giving me the stutterfest at 1080p with that game.

I'm not too bothered, I always knew the possibility was there and I've got my 980Ti setup for the more demanding games. It just irks me a little when people try to claim the Vram issue is a myth.

Anyway, I use this 970 setup on my big TV in the lounge and 95% of games are spot on with it.

Caporegime
I don't have the SLI setup anymore, it's my single card that's giving me the stutterfest at 1080p with that game.

I'm not too bothered, I always knew the possibility was there and I've got my 980Ti setup for the more demanding games. It just irks me a little when people try to claim the Vram issue is a myth.

Anyway, I use this 970 setup on my big TV in the lounge and 95% of games are spot on with it.

Some clueless reviewers said it was a myth at the time when it all kicked off, some members just regurgitate that crap, mostly because they don't want it to be true.

No mater what there is always someone who will try to disprove what is already well proven.

Soldato

I haven't played Batman, but I've been playing the new Assassin's creed, GTA 5, Battlefield 4 and Star wars battlefront on a Asus Swift G-Sync at 1440p and all those games are silky smooth. No stutter? I simply don't understand all this 3.5 vram issues on GTX970's???

Associate
I am toying with the idea of adding another EVGA 970 FTW to my system.
Currently have i5 4690K and a 650W PSU. I know the PSU is close, but it is a EVGA SuperNova P2. It says it is fully capable of running SLI but after some thoughts of perhaps people that do run it on a similar setup. I have seen a lot of conflicting answers across the WWW about this.

I do not overlock anything, only use the standard turbo on the CPU. Would I be ok if I decided to go ahead with it?

Last edited:
Soldato
What resolution do you play at? If you want to stick to 1080 then sli is a good option but I'd get a second hand one. If you're planning on going to 1440p then the 3.5GB vram won't be enough to max out games at that resolution.

I was tempted to do the same but I also want to game at 1440p hence I'm waiting on the next gen GPUs.

Associate
What resolution do you play at? If you want to stick to 1080 then sli is a good option but I'd get a second hand one. If you're planning on going to 1440p then the 3.5GB vram won't be enough to max out games at that resolution.

I was tempted to do the same but I also want to game at 1440p hence I'm waiting on the next gen GPUs.

It'll be fine with everything running stock.

Cheers for the replies guys.
I am at 1080p, 120hz. There was the thought of 1440p but that would be for my main rig sometime down the line. 1080p does me for now.

Soldato
Some clueless reviewers said it was a myth at the time when it all kicked off, some members just regurgitate that crap, mostly because they don't want it to be true.

No mater what there is always someone who will try to disprove what is already well proven.

Whilst it's certainly not a myth, for most gamers its not really a big deal. I play at 1080p and haven't had any vram issues yet (still have the new Tomb Raider to try though).

I believe Batman is notorious for being horribly optimised, I wouldn't be put off by that if I was getting a new card.

Back
Top Bottom