• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Argh! So tempted with the MSI. I've only just this morning seriously thought about upgrading when a work mate offered to buy my current 780 Windforce off me. The MSI has a good rep, then?

Associate
Argh! So tempted with the MSI. I've only just this morning seriously thought about upgrading when a work mate offered to buy my current 780 Windforce off me. The MSI has a good rep, then?

Yup they are great !

IMG_6984Custom_zps149b455d.jpg

After 1hour Unigine Heaven 4.0 loop max temps were 72°c for top card 54% fan speed, 65°c bottom card 44% fan speed. They are barely audible at these speeds
Idle is 31°c for both cards and fans are turned off (they turn off below 60°c).
Cards are running 1114@1201MHz core untill further. ;)

Associate
Very happy with how my MSI has been doing, perfectly stable at 1500 boost clock, and maxed out at 62C looping Heaven 4.0 :D.

Seriously considering a new PSU just to get a 2nd one :)

Soldato
Few questions:
1. My AB 4.0.0.4604 doesn't have option for displaying in OSD. Is there a specific version that has this? I'd like to see actual in-game.
2. Is boost shown accurately in GPU-z sensors, or do you read it somewhere else?
3. Do you leave your OC settings 24/7, or only when gaming?
4. Read that @gibbo said that temps reach 80s with stock fan curve. How do I setup a better fan curve? :) thanks.

1: I believe you have to check the box for Rivatuner statistics server when you're installing AB

2: It's shown accurately, what GPU-Z says the core speed is doing is what it's boosting too.

3: regular OC 24/7, balls to the wall OC just when benching.

4: In afterburner settings, enable the custom fan curve by checking the box in the fan tab and set what you want (the default AB curve is 10% faster than stock).

Soldato
Asus Strix 970 arrived today at 10am.

Wow it looks great, the quality of it is fantastic, the cooler cover is textured metal, it doesn't flex at all, because i thought it was cheap plastic from the photos, the metal back plate looks stunning, the card is very heavy, straight and true.

this is a far better quality of build than the 7990 and the 7970, AMD have a lot of work to do because this looks way better than their stuff

this card reminds me of the Be-Quiet PSU, 100% quality ................ well done Gigabyte because this is a 10/10, i'll fit it tonight

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting how the power limit is different for both the Gigabyte, MSI and ASUS cards.

Gigabyte
100% = 250
112% = 280

MSI
100% = 200
110% = 220

ASUS
100% = 163
120% = 196

Not sure why the ASUS is so different?

Last edited:
Soldato
The only thing stopping me from getting the MSI one is the lack of a back plate. What would you guys choose from the Asus one and the Gigabyte one?

I honestly wouldn't let it put you off. Most of the back plates do nothing and are just a looks thing.

Between the ASUS and Gigabyte it's difficult. Most Gigabytes I have seen have a low ASIC but the RMA service with Gigabyte is much better.

Infact adding to this most gigabytes don't appear to clock as high as other cards?

Last edited:
Associate
The next game I'll play a lot with be FarCry4.

Is the MSI the best card to get right now?

Is there a 970 that is not released yet that will be before FC4 that's worth waiting for?

Back
Top Bottom