• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Caporegime
OP
No real money to be made mining if you are starting now. Period.

5.6Mh/s is around 50p a day profit after electricity if you are very lucky and have the cheapest electricity in the world.

Work out how long it will take to mine back the cost of your card.

Is that 24/7 what about without the cost of electricity?

Soldato
ahh both fans are spinning just couldn't see it properly :p

What's your bottom card at?

You have two monitors? 42 is pretty hot. My 780ti idles at 26.

Nope. The fans on this 970 don't start spinning until they hit a certain temp (I think its 50 degrees).

But yeah, even at 30% fan profile, it hovers around 40 degrees.

Last edited:
Associate
I started with a Zotac 970 (the 20cm long base model) to replace a similar Zotac 660ti in a SUGO mini-itx case. Even though the minimum fan speed is 28% I could still hear them over the case fan (which I couldn't on the 660ti at idle) and as it's a living room PC this is not good. Under load the fans were getting pretty audible.

I changed it for an Inno3D (which I think has 90mm fans) but found the minimum fan speed on this one to be 37% (which equates to 1140rpm) so I still can't get the fans to be silent at idle (although I would judge the Inno3D to be the better of the two overall)

So my question is, when do we expect is to be possible to edit the Maxwell BIOS to change fan parameters, or will it be possible to re-flash with a BIOS from a card that supports zero rpm at idle?

Permabanned
My card is maxed, damn 108% TDP limit :(

It's boosting from 1440Mhz to 1480Mhz depending on the game.

Anyway to flash the cards yet? Need a better BIOS on this card as with more power budget 1500Mhz+ should be quite easy.

So far it's WAY behind my 290 in the couple of games that I have tried.

Soldato
ahh both fans are spinning just couldn't see it properly :p

What's your bottom card at?

Nope. The fans on this 970 don't start spinning until they hit a certain temp (I think its 50 degrees).

But yeah, even at 30% fan profile, it hovers around 40 degrees.

Bottom card is idle @ 25 :)

Caporegime
OP

Anyway to flash the cards yet? Need a better BIOS on this card as with more power budget 1500Mhz+ should be quite easy.

No surprise as your 290 is one of the rare ones that will hold 1250mhz stable in games. The 970 you bought probably wasn't the best choice for overclocking either.

Soldato

I have noticed some slow down too, in Firestrike with 2 290's i got a gpu score of 23k, with two 970's i got under 18k.

Permabanned
No surprise as your 290 is one of the rare ones that will hold 1250mhz stable in games. The 970 you bought probably wasn't the best choice for overclocking either.

It'll be OK once it has a water block and a modified BIOS on it.

Had it for DSR which works like a charm!

In Crysis Warhead my 290 is actually faster with 4xMSAA enabled then the 970 is without it!

Associate
As I mentioned above, the only irritation is the 37% min fan speed - at idle I can always hear them over my mini-itx case / cpu fans

Soldato
As I mentioned above, the only irritation is the 37% min fan speed - at idle I can always hear them over my mini-itx case / cpu fans

Was that with afterburner running? (its fan curve is ~10% higher than stock), I have two Inno3D cards and they were running 29-30% at idle, they were dead silent and they were the only moving parts at idle.

Associate
Don't be put off the Inno3D - for an 8in sized card I think it beats the Zotac.

My case is mini-itx with two Noctua fans I spin at only around 700rpm when it's idle. I couldn't hear the 660ti above them when using Precision X to drop the fans to 30% - and being a living room PC under the TV it spends a lot of time at idle.

With the 37% limit I can hear them so it's going to take a BIOS update, or edit, to try to sort it for my set up. Maybe 1140rpm is the min speed and so the 37% is there for a reason rather than being a lazy default, but 0 rpm seems to work with other brands at the moment.

When pushing the card in gaming the fans noise is quite tolerable so it's a good card. My ASIC is 80%

Back
Top Bottom