• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT - GPU PRICE CUTS AT OcUK!

Soldato
Um... I wouldn't say hitting in most cases msrp just before an updated and (based on rumors) far superior 4000 series is announced/released is a price cut....

I'll be waiting as well, I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer.

The only way I'd consider jumping now is if I see a 3090ti around the cost of a 3070 because based on rumors the 4070 is benching close to the 3090ti.

Man of Honour
[..]

Though it is still not good enough, particular even 3080Ti at £799 which is vastly below MSRP, but for people on forums it is still not good enough, all we can do is keep pushing and trying for better, as for the general market the prices are working, the 3080 10G sold out fast and we had a few hundred, the 3090's have now sold out too and all our 3090Ti are also nearly sold out. Rest assured I am not buying more until AIC's give me an even better price to push prices even lower, but that is proving one tough battle, but I never give up...... [..]

A few hundred people is not the general market.

There aren't many people willing and able to blow £800 on a warmed up version of a graphics card that will be out of date within weeks. I'm sure there is a market of people who are willing and able to spend £3K+ on a PC to play games on and who are willing and able to do so on kit they know will be obsolete in weeks. I'm also sure those people are not the general market.

It's not a sustainable situation. Even though there will be a small number of people willing and able to spend thousands per year every year solely on hardware for PC gaming (and some more who will borrow money to try to do so, for a while), that's not a large enough market for it to be worth game devs targetting it. Unless there's significant change, PC gaming will end up as indie titles that will run on hardware affordable to the general market, console ports that will mostly do so and a small number of people spending large amounts of money to turn the settings up on console ports if the devs have bothered to add those settings to the console port. Hardware manufacturers are strip mining the remainder of the PC gaming market before discarding it. The big market is the data centre. That's why, for example, Intel is pushing ahead with Arc even though it's an abject failure in terms of graphics cards. Intel wants a highly parallel processor architecture for data centres. It needs one if it's going to remain competitive. Hence Arc.

OcUK isn't the cause. OcUK is just a reseller to the public, the penultimate link in the chain. OcUK can't do anything to change the situation.

Man of Honour
@Angilion , people can always remain on 1080p or 1440p@60fps displays where lower end cards should be more appealing.

Which doesn't change the situation I described at all. It's still indie games and console ports and not worth large scale game development budget.

I am remaining on 1440. 75Hz in my case due to the monitor I have, but much the same. I'm playing almost entirely indie games. My old PC is fine for that. The general market for PC gaming is at that level.

Soldato
Which doesn't change the situation I described at all. It's still indie games and console ports and not worth large scale game development budget.

I am remaining on 1440. 75Hz in my case due to the monitor I have, but much the same. I'm playing almost entirely indie games. My old PC is fine for that. The general market for PC gaming is at that level.

It depends what you target. Consoles now are not 1080p@30fps, but rather aim for 4k and at times 60 or even 120fps. I have a rtx2080, which sits about in the middle for those 2 "next gen" consoles in terms of TF. If they aim for 4k with the same hardware, I should be able to play nicely at 1080p or 1440p with the same hardware, at 30fps. For game devs is the same...

Hopefully something like a rtx4050 and whatever will be similar from AMD can offer the same performance (of a rtx2080) at around $250 and it will be ok - especially with DLSS and such. That price point will matter the most, not in $500+ area.

With that said, it will be nice to have powerful hardware at lower prices (even the price of CPUs have gone up to ridiculous levels, but fans of X or Y company don't care and act like is all cool) however, since no Crysis like game came from 2007 until now... I doubt developers would put much effort into developing something like that anyway.

Plus, "next gen" consoles will begin to slowly lag behind with the new shinny stuff right around the corner.

Associate
A few hundred people is not the general market.

There aren't many people willing and able to blow £800 on a warmed up version of a graphics card that will be out of date within weeks. I'm sure there is a market of people who are willing and able to spend £3K+ on a PC to play games on and who are willing and able to do so on kit they know will be obsolete in weeks. I'm also sure those people are not the general market.

It's not a sustainable situation. Even though there will be a small number of people willing and able to spend thousands per year every year solely on hardware for PC gaming (and some more who will borrow money to try to do so, for a while), that's not a large enough market for it to be worth game devs targetting it. Unless there's significant change, PC gaming will end up as indie titles that will run on hardware affordable to the general market, console ports that will mostly do so and a small number of people spending large amounts of money to turn the settings up on console ports if the devs have bothered to add those settings to the console port. Hardware manufacturers are strip mining the remainder of the PC gaming market before discarding it. The big market is the data centre. That's why, for example, Intel is pushing ahead with Arc even though it's an abject failure in terms of graphics cards. Intel wants a highly parallel processor architecture for data centres. It needs one if it's going to remain competitive. Hence Arc.

OcUK isn't the cause. OcUK is just a reseller to the public, the penultimate link in the chain. OcUK can't do anything to change the situation.
Very good post. One thing I would point out is that not everyone who would be looking to build a PC will necessarily KNOW that the next gen is just around the corner. When I bought my last GPU (1070) I got it after an apparent mining boom, and prices had only just settled. This isn't something I knew when I bough it, but found out later. At the time, I probably thought I had a good price, whereas people who knew better would probably have been screaming "WHO IS BUYING A 1070 NOW?!".

It's important to remember that a forum like this full of enthusiasts can act like an echo chamber where everyone wonders who could possibly be buying such a thing? Well, lots of members of the general public. Whilst a 3000 or 6000 series GPU isn't necessarily the wisest purchase, it is the best option currently available. Not everyone is in a position to wait.

Associate
Oh wow this answered my biggest question, how many miners are still mining? 85%! Wow. 93 million gpus out there mining right now.
I've seen some mining 3080/3090 FE's on used market and they look disgusting!! Green and brown stains around metal plate indicates how damp the environment they've been mined.

Back
Top Bottom