• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia prices the norm?

Associate
Hi all

I'm just thinking out loud and wondering, since the 2070/2080 & Ti came out, are the insane price hikes going to be the norm from now on?

My issue and reason for wondering is I am in a bit of a situation at the moment and may need to sell my 1080Ti. It's great for playing at 1440p on my 165hz monitor, but if I have to sell it and then get sorted within a few months, what would I be able to replace it with, for around the same price, (I bought it before mining pushed the prices up through the roof). I would never be able to justify spending more than that for anything, but then I wouldn't want to lose any performance over the my current card.

I've seen the 2080 super has around a 10% performance increase but mostly is a bit more than the 1080ti I bought.

Are we expecting the 3xxx series to be even more expensive?

Cheers

Caporegime
Hi all

I'm just thinking out loud and wondering, since the 2070/2080 & Ti came out, are the insane price hikes going to be the norm from now on?

My issue and reason for wondering is I am in a bit of a situation at the moment and may need to sell my 1080Ti. It's great for playing at 1440p on my 165hz monitor, but if I have to sell it and then get sorted within a few months, what would I be able to replace it with, for around the same price, (I bought it before mining pushed the prices up through the roof). I would never be able to justify spending more than that for anything, but then I wouldn't want to lose any performance over the my current card.

I've seen the 2080 super has around a 10% performance increase but mostly is a bit more than the 1080ti I bought.

Cheers

You could replace it with a 2070s for £450...Similar speeds but with less ram

Associate
They have tested the waters and realised there are a lot of idiots out there who will happily bend over and pay the silly prices, so probably.

If people just said "no" the prices would come down to the levels of the past (which were expensive enough)

Right now we have RTX2080 models selling on OCUK for more than RTX2080 Supers......

We have £1,200 -£1800 gpus that are over a year old and can barely handle raytracing ...

I work in secured loans/mortgages. People would rather pay for the latest iphone contract than a roof over their head.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I work in secured loans/mortgages. People would rather pay for the latest iphone contract than a roof over their head.

£25-£50 for the latest smartphone isn't beyond the realms of most peoples monthly wages. Yet tell them they'll need to save £500pm for 6 years (all while house prices are increasing by, in some areas double digit percent a year, everywhere else 5-7%) before getting the deposit for a mortgage and they see it as unobtainable to they'll have to cut back elsewhere. I've rented all my life, mainly because I can't afford to pay rent and save up. Having single digit £'s in your bank two or three days before payday is stressful enough, never mind someone saying 'Save for your mortgage deposit!'. Getting a deposit together is impossible for me with my wage, rent and other outgoings. It's the same for many others, even couples if one is on minimum wage or only one works. When rents in some parts of the country are £1k a month (even I pay £650pm in Central Scotland) I'd be absolutely over the moon to be putting that £650 towards my own home instead of lining my Landlord's pockets but it's just not feasible for me, like many others. I've never missed a months rent in all my time at this address, nigh on 14 years now, having a cheaper Mortgage would be easy, but it's still impossible.

If you live in the south of England and don't have a £40k a year job or £50k a year joint income saving money isn't possible unless you want to get a Mortgage in 20 years time.

Associate
Hi all

[snip]

Cheers

FWIW, I think the next XBOX and PS5 will be sobering for Nvidia. I guess we'll just have to wait an see.

My biggest issue with these expensive PC graphics cards is that there just aren't any decent games to justify them. Nearly all the best games these days are on the PS4.. Go figure. :)

Soldato
I'm content to just wait them out.

Price/performance went nowhere with the original Turing release. Once AMD released Navi, Nvidia gave us what *would have been* a very modest generational bump in that metric for the xx70 class (with "super") and down...but only because of competition.

I spent 1080Ti money for 1080Ti performance years ago. If that money every buys a meaningful performance increase, I'll be inclined to upgrade.

Soldato
If you live in the south of England and don't have a £40k a year job
Believe me when I say that it doesn't matter if you make over double that, what matters is being smart with your expenditures and investments. Don't take credit you don't absolutely have to, don't buy costly monthly items like cars on long loans.

Cards, are nothing. Buy what you can afford. Save up for it (IMO).

Card prices will probably stay elevated. But who's to say what some competition will do.

Associate
5700XT release made Nvidia lower prices or at least improve price/performance in that segment.
Big Navi might do same for top end. 3xxx series might improve things. Might not.

Soldato
In your case you can be optimistic, but it might be closer to a year. A 5700 XT already knocks on a 1080 ti's door & will be even more-so the case going forward (due to consoles, RDNA>Pascal in VK/DX12 etc), and that went as low as £299 on BF. So there's no way they're going to release something like a 1080 ti in performance for more than what's already on the market, and they also have new consoles to contend with, which are a definite threat to GPU revenues.

So in terms of a 1080 ti / +10% GPU as a replacement for a 5700 XT, we can be certain of it, but those will probably be out in 2021, and I don't think Nvidia is looking to launch a 2070 Super competitor any sooner either. This year what we're going to get is 2080 ti & better and maybe 2080 Super replacements (from Nvidia), and a 2080 Super & 2080 ti competitors from AMD. Either way, £500 & up prices.

Mobster
Soldato
It will be the norm until sales slow or the get serious competition. AMD is not competition because nVidia is still miles ahead. Why would they sell cheaper when their cards still sell for the prices they do ?

Soldato
AMD has the console market, so they are huge competition. With the prices the way they are more people are switching to console gaming. GPUs are like a side project for AMD, but its vital to Nvidia.

Nvidia are going to end up pricing themselves out of the GPU market and they nothing else to offer.

Caporegime
Hi all

Cheers

I've just come back from using my crystal ball and it said new GPU's would be out in the future.

If you are selling it you have to remember it's old, second hand, no warranty. Therefore if you then decide to replace with brand new you are never going to get the same performance for the same money.

What could you buy that would be similar? A 5700 or 5700XT or a bog standard 2070.

You would need to put more cash in to buy a 2070 super or faster. I would sell the 1080ti anyway just to get a newer more efficient card with warranty.

Soldato
The xx70 is the high end card, the xx80/ti/ti are the exotic cards painted as high end whilst high end is painted as mid range.

I wish.

They way real progress worked before the 20 series is that performance shifted over the price points. The 1070 was as fast or faster than the 980 (as fast as the Ti even in some cases) yet sold around the price point of the 970. The 1080 was as fast as the 980 Ti and sold for about 980 prices.

With every generational progression, our money would get bumped up at least a tier in performance. That didn't happen this last time. Our money basically went nowhere.

If they had sent samples to reviewers with no names or prices on the cards, and just used benchmarks to figure out what was what, the 2080 Ti would have been called a 2080 and the price would have been $650-$700.

Soldato

I'm not expecting that, if anything they will be less expensive.

The "conventional logic" that is being applied here would suggest that a xx80-ti should be at least £3k by now. Just look around this section of the forum and see how many complain about price, see how many have refused to buy at that price, and how many who did buy at that price are now saying that it was an upper limit for them. There were 3 big factors pushing GPU prices up at the time; Cost of components, new technology (RTX) & GPU mining.

There are actually now factors pushing prices down; RTX maturing, component cost lowering, mining has waned, console competition, possibly competitor competition.

I would also say, don't pay any attention to the model variants and just focus on the performance you actually need.

Back
Top Bottom