• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia prices the norm?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
The amount of people that say prices will go up is crazy. Music to Jensen’s ears as it suggests they don’t mind.

Prices will not be going up in my opinion. 3080Ti will be cheaper and anything below that will probably remain similar. I can see the 3070 landing at £450-£500 and offering 2080 Ti performance but with better RT. That is the card I will get.

3070 with 2080ti performance for £400 would be my target, my general rule of thumb is i try to double my performance on gpu upgrades, currently on a 1070 so a 2080ti is roughly double. and with 2nd gen ray tracing and also 2nd gen tensor (which people seem to forget about) as well a 3070 could be a nice bump over a 2080ti in ray tracing, thats if nvidia dont gimp it so its a dead match for a 2080ti rather than having that extra for the 2nd gen tensor and rt cores.

as for pricing i think at the top end people are finally just admitting what a lot of us knew a few years ago, with amd avoiding the top end market nvidia can set whatever they want and it seems people will pay for it but remember go look up the steam hw survey and you will see the vast majority of the top cards are all mid tier. and neither the 2080 or the 2080ti get 1% of the user base.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
3070 with 2080ti performance for £400 would be my target, my general rule of thumb is i try to double my performance on gpu upgrades, currently on a 1070 so a 2080ti is roughly double. and with 2nd gen ray tracing and also 2nd gen tensor (which people seem to forget about) as well a 3070 could be a nice bump over a 2080ti in ray tracing, thats if nvidia dont gimp it so its a dead match for a 2080ti rather than having that extra for the 2nd gen tensor and rt cores.

as for pricing i think at the top end people are finally just admitting what a lot of us knew a few years ago, with amd avoiding the top end market nvidia can set whatever they want and it seems people will pay for it but remember go look up the steam hw survey and you will see the vast majority of the top cards are all mid tier. and neither the 2080 or the 2080ti get 1% of the user base.
£400 would be ideal. But unless AMD bring the competition they will take the chance to rake in the extra profits and charge closer to £500 for it unfortunately.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
£400 would be ideal. But unless AMD bring the competition they will take the chance to rake in the extra profits and charge closer to £500 for it unfortunately.

thats the big navi sized issue for me, i just dont see it being fast enough nor cheap enough. if it matches a 3070 (which is where im expecting it to be best case scenario) for general performance (as ray tracing is too much of a unknown with amd as it stands, rumours, leaks and best guesses need not apply) and isnt around £50 cheaper i dont see it being that big of a issue for nvidia or their pricing model.

Associate
Founders was the real MSRP so you might aswell delete the other one, I was still much closer than you're 1070 was 970 prices. 1080 was more expensive than the 980ti and the 1070 was closer in price to the 980 not 970.
Was before Brexit too so I guess that had a little impact, in the UK the prices were much different. Lower on Maxwell and higher on Pascal, not only because of the rise in MSRP but also because of the fall of the pound

Found this which is a month after Maxwell launch https://www.kitguru.net/components/...-prices-of-geforce-gtx-970980-graphics-cards/

Cheapest ones at the time but it puts the 1070 bang on 980 pricing

Last edited:
Associate
Who remember This?

aaaaa.jpg

Soldato
The difference with Apple products is they are fashion items, like Jewelry. Despite them being cheaply made and actually not all that good, people pay the price to be seen with it. You cant do that with a GPU.

Soldato
The difference with Apple products is they are fashion items, like Jewelry. Despite them being cheaply made and actually not all that good, people pay the price to be seen with it. You cant do that with a GPU.

Speak for yourself. I love my iPhone and can't imagine going back to slow droid

Soldato
Speak for yourself. I love my iPhone and can't imagine going back to slow droid

To be honest, you're kind of making his point for him. There is only one Apple, and when you're hooked you're hooked. GPUs are different, as is Android which is why you think they're slow - you can't possibly have tried every one (certainly not the one I use).

GAC

GAC

Soldato
apple the company that slows down its handsets as they get older to "help" prolong battery life. which ones are slower again :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
To be honest, you're kind of making his point for him. There is only one Apple, and when you're hooked you're hooked. GPUs are different, as is Android which is why you think they're slow - you can't possibly have tried every one (certainly not the one I use).
Indeed. The one I have is super fast. Nothing slow about it and I have had it for close to 2 years now. I will probably keep it for another 2-3 years. The days of needing to upgrade your phone often are gone imo.

Soldato
The price in a vacuum isn't necessarily an issue. If, for example, it was 120% faster than a 2080Ti, I would spend $1300 on that next year.

But you and I both know it won't be 120% faster it will be as small a performance increase as they think they can get away with, with as much price increase as they think they can get away with - or alternatively maybe to where they'e pushed by AMD. They're not going to release a good value proposition, until they're forced to and they know they have loyal fan base of who are just desperate to be bent over and reamed once agai. A tech enthusiast who is also a brand enthusiast will buy anything and pay anything their tech brand offers.

Soldato
Indeed. The one I have is super fast. Nothing slow about it and I have had it for close to 2 years now. I will probably keep it for another 2-3 years. The days of needing to upgrade your phone often are gone imo.

Long gone, my S8 is still as good as is was 2 1/2 years ago, they sounded literally amazed at Vodafone when my contract and I didn't want an S10. They just it it for granted I would simply sign up for 2 more years. My phone now costs me £10 P/M not £50.

I've always looked after it, I reckon it'll do me another 3-4 years at least.

Caporegime
Long gone, my S8 is still as good as is was 2 1/2 years ago, they sounded literally amazed at Vodafone when my contract and I didn't want an S10. They just it it for granted I would simply sign up for 2 more years. My phone now costs me £10 P/M not £50.

My S7 is still going strong after three years. It does everything I want it to, hasn’t had any problems at all and I can’t see me upgrading unless it breaks.

Soldato
Founders was the real MSRP so you might aswell delete the other one, I was still much closer than you're 1070 was 970 prices. 1080 was more expensive than the 980ti and the 1070 was closer in price to the 980 not 970.
Was before Brexit too so I guess that had a little impact, in the UK the prices were much different. Lower on Maxwell and higher on Pascal, not only because of the rise in MSRP but also because of the fall of the pound

Found this which is a month after Maxwell launch https://www.kitguru.net/components/...-prices-of-geforce-gtx-970980-graphics-cards/

Cheapest ones at the time but it puts the 1070 bang on 980 pricing
Odd that you want to cherry pick the cheapest 980 yet say I "might aswell delete" the AIB cards freaking MSRP.

Seriously. The price/performance proposition from Maxwell to Pascal improved significantly...even when you cherry pick samples to pull down Pascal, they still provided real price/performance boosts.

Turing, on the other hand, gave us 1080 Ti performance for 1080 Ti money. (Worse actually)

Thanks for nothing, Nvidia.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Yeah. I pay under £20 for both my and my partners EE contracts. Unlimited minutes and text plus 9GB we share between us (can gift data move it about easily between us). I hardly use any data as I do not watch any video content. I just download podcasts when on WiFi and apart from that browse, so I end up giving most the data to my partner. My upgrade time has come so I can probably get more data out of them or try and go for a further discount on price.

Back
Top Bottom