• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Great news really. They have finally thrown the towel in. I remember posting about this some years ago here and saying they should enable support and just brand the monitors that have the g-sync module as a premium thing which offers a better range. Because that is the only thing g-sync module offers over freesync ones.

These days with freesync 2 offering a better range, the gap has practically disappeared. There is no need for g-sync anymore really, just maybe more in new monitor tech like the hdr ones.

Still, there are no 4K monitors out there with a better range than 40-60hz. My monitor has a bigger range, not sure if it is 30-60 or even a bigger range, but I have not seen a tear in any games since buying it.

The great news now is, when buying my next monitor I can buy one that has VRR that works on both AMD and Nvidia cards. So even if I do have a Nvidia card, once AMD offer something competitive in the performance range I am after, I can switch over hassle free :D

Does that mean my Dell gsync screen will support Freesync?

How did you come up with that? This is them allowing majority of monitors on the market which their competitor benefits from due to freesync to work with their cards. Meaning there is a big benefit to them. What benefit do they get enabling their competitors cards to work on their proper g-sync monitors?

Being decent to users who bought into it should be reason enough..
Nvidia, decent? Lol. They only see numbers and they milk them. I would be surprised if they did this. Not impossible mind you, maybe with the poor Turing sales they are starting to take different approach? Doubt it though.

Caporegime
I don't think so. Amd knew it was pushing an open standard. It was never there's to lose.

There's no room for opinions.
AMD was the only discrete GPU manufacturer that offered royalty free adaptive sync tech. They now aren't.

That's a loss of a unique selling point.

I can now choose Nvidia over AMD with my next GPU purchase assuming I keep my monitor, whereas before I wouldn't. I'm probably not alone in that.

Permabanned
Being decent to users who bought into it should be reason enough..

Decent? Not something you associate with the cut-throat world of business. They're allowing Nvidia owners to access the open standard tech to increase their potential user base not to be nice. If Turing had been a massive hit do you really think they'd be doing this?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I don't think so. Amd knew it was pushing an open standard. It was never there's to lose.
I understand what you mean. But I have got to agree with Martini. It is a loss. Just because they knew does not change that.

Decent? Not something you associate with the cut-throat world of business. They're allowing Nvidia owners to access the open standard tech to increase their potential user base not to be nice. If Turing had been a massive hit do you really think they'd be doing this?

Yeah, I think they have been saving it as bullet for bad times. As really when you look at it, there are hardly any G-Sync monitors out there relative to Freesync ones. It was something that was slowly dying anyway.

Would make me laugh when people would say G-Sync is much better. When the only difference is the range. The main reason why I got my g-sync monitor is because it offers a bigger range which even until today not one 4K Freesync monitor does and two AMD did not have one graphics card on the market that could drive the monitor. None of those have changed. By the time they do I will have had my money’s worth for 2 years at least :)

Overall I am happy with the move. Great to see Nvidia throwing the towel in and accepting and supporting the open standard. Hopefully G-Sync (the module) completely dies over the coming years.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Good news then :) But yes, it'll stimulate sales for sure if the manual option works fine :)

I just bought an AW3418DW last night too :p
You considering cancelling the order? :p

If you wait a little you can get one that will work on both AMD and Nvidia cards. But I think you go through at least 1 monitor a year on average, so probably not worth the wait. You will just sell it and buy another next year :p;)

Soldato
They've also pushed people away from wanting to buy any current Gsync screen when they could get one that supports both standards. Makes no sense to me.

I still think Nvidia are cheap for doing this one way and not the other, people can praise it but it's still a bit rubbishy.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nope, already got it and it's pretty damn awesome! Give me a hardware solution anyday, always been more than happy with Gsync :cool:
Yes, they typically have a better range :p:D;)

Also love me a Dell monitor. Majority of my monitors have been Dell in the past. Best support ever. Monitors goes pop, they bring you a replacement one the next day :D

Associate
So will they stop producing Gsync monitors with modules? I actually liked the it just works feature of it. I don’t replace my monitor that often and ready to pay more for it.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It will be interesting to see if this affects prices for Gsync monitors. LG for example their newer 34” UW is cheaper in FreeSync flavour with a higher refresh rate. If it works well with an NVIDIA card then I can’t see people buying the more expensive Gsync version.

LG just announced a new Gsync monitor.

Back
Top Bottom