• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Permabanned
Good news then :) But yes, it'll stimulate sales for sure *if the manual option works fine :)

**I just bought an AW3418DW last night too :p
*I read this earlier https://www.nvidia.com/en-u...
"For VRR monitors yet to be validated as G-SYNC Compatible, a new NVIDIA Control Panel option will enable owners to try and switch the tech on - it may work, it may work partly, or it may not work at all. To be sure, only purchase a monitor listed as “G-SYNC Compatible” so it may not be as clear cut as hoped.

**I presume that's a G-sync model? As someone else mentioned you seem to switch your hardware a lot so next time you buy one your options increased ten-fold. Sounds like a win to me :D

*Yeah, I think they have been saving it as bullet for bad times. As really when you look at it, there are hardly any G-Sync monitors out there relative to Freesync ones. It was something that was slowly dying anyway.

Would make me laugh when people would say G-Sync is much better. When the only difference is the range. The main reason why I got my g-sync monitor is because it offers a bigger range which even until today not one 4K Freesync monitor does and two AMD did not have one graphics card on the market that could drive the monitor. None of those have changed. By the time they do I will have had my money’s worth for 2 years at least :)

**Overall I am happy with the move. Great to see Nvidia throwing the towel in and accepting and supporting the open standard. Hopefully G-Sync (the module) completely dies over the coming years.

*Definitely, **It's hard not to be. :)
Now that I can do so without losing my adaptive sync tech I may give RTX a try if AMD take too long replacing Vega, I stopped playing SOTTR halfway through, I haven't got BFV yet & I'm looking forward to Metro Exodus so at the end of 2019 or early 2020 when they're all Raytracing ready I might grab a 2060 or 2070 to try it out. This is a win for everyone. :D

They've also pushed people away from wanting to buy any current Gsync screen when they could get one that supports both standards. Makes no sense to me.

I still think Nvidia are cheap for doing this one way and not the other, people can praise it but it's still a bit rubbishy.

Maybe but as they've also mentioned they intend to go big with G-sync in the future, so future G-sync monitors may lean towards being front room TV replacements, & when you think about the sort of pricing attached to those products the market for them is tiny so repositioning G-sync & supporting the open standard makes a lot of sense.

Caporegime
From TPU...

Update: We received word from NVIDIA that you can manually enable G-SYNC on all Adaptive-Sync monitors, even non-certified ones: "For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, we'll give you an option to manually enable VRR, too."

So even screens they have not tested, they will let you try for yourself if it works.

Associate
This is the highlight of the show for me - even with limited options now it's still fantastic news and will hopefully spell the end for gsync.

I do wonder what it means for the BFGD range when you have the likes of LG offering new 120Hz 4k OLED with HDMI 2.1 supporting VRR :eek: I know where I'd rather spend my monies ...

Associate
Is pretty good for me as someone with a 1070 and a freesync monitor I was basically set on getting an amd gpu as soon as a really good upgrade becomes available. Now I would at least still consider the Nvidia offering come upgrade time.

Associate
That's what they want you to believe, I don't believe it for one minute, They say only 12 passed because they've been claiming superiority from the start and while we know the majority of Freesync monitors don't have great support claiming only 12 passed is codswallop.
They have no reason to lie as they are allowing users to use FreeSync even on the rejected panels. The experience probably didn’t match the gsync solution.

Soldato
The QA process for what passes as a G-Sync certified panel has always been very tight. So I can fully believe only 12 have been certified thus far. Good news all around, and there's room for comparisons to be made.

We don't all win, they basically gave a big middle finger to current Gsync owners. Good for everyone else though.

If you've only recently purchased one then it's potentially going to have hurt your wallet, yes.

Caporegime
Where are the people that said this would never happen..... ;) :D :p

It had to happen, what nVidia didn't foresee when going down the proprietary rout is future compatibility with next generation features, such as HDR, nVidia can't get HDR working on G-Sync without a $500 chip on the $200 G-Sync Module, its why HDR G-Sync screen cost $1500+

G-Sync is done for, AMD's solution won out.

Man of Honour
Where are the people that said this would never happen..... ;) :D :p

If 400 out of 400 monitors worked flawlessly with it I suspect it wouldn't have happened - this way they are probably able to wring money out of the manufacturers - FreeSync monitors that work well with nVidia will probably jump up in price quite a bit with this new selling point.

I don't see G-Sync going anywhere - if anything people will start to see why the module has a bit of an edge when it comes to feature support though it might bring the G-Sync module price down a little.

Back
Top Bottom