• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Caporegime
I thought of it as a scam as no G-Sync module was required, as AMD have proven. Sales of G-Sync would have been much lower if consumers were more aware of what they were purchasing. Nvidia, while not alone, play on consumer ignorance.
When G-Sync was released, a module was required. This was the only way of getting it to work on NVidia GPUs. I am sure NVidia could probably get it to work on 9 series GPUs if they wanted but earlier GPUs no chance.

Caporegime
It was a good move, The recent downturn in peoples opinion of Nvidia & the way they do things just got turned into an upturn.

Monitor makers were the worst, When Freesync first came to market they used the naming to sell monitors that had virtually no support & no right to be called gaming monitors.
Agreed. Pricing is mental on the latest cards and putting them in a bad light. I have no idea what the cost to profit is on this 20xx series but I can imagine big mark ups.

And yep, monitor makers gave Freesync a bad name early on and churned out any old rubbish with stupid VRR windows (38Hz-60Hz as an example).

My work mate who bought my 1080Ti after his Fury X died will be pleased anyways, as he has a Freesync screen (a decent one also).

Soldato
How was it a scam?
Personally, I don't feel it was a scam as much as a money grab. The framework for VRR was already in place and nVidia were a part of that framework. Instead of pushing for that and making it as good as it could be, they turn their back on it and develop hardware that locks you to them.
The benefits of gsync over the open standard are not enough to justify being locked to a GPU vendor in my mind, especially when it's apparent that monitors are probably one of the least upgraded items in a gamers inventory.
Then you have the latest version with is very expensive and requires active cooling - not what you want on an expensive monitor.

Who knows where the open standard would be today if nVidia had chosen to stick with it? We'd probably have even better open VRR screens than we do today, which would benefit everyone.

Associate
What this tells me is that the G-sync tax was maybe a little too high but not a scam.

I say this because this move has just highlighted how poor a high percentage of Freesync monitors are.

The PC World video has one of my monitors on there which didn't make the cut and I wasn't surprised as it has ghosting issues when Freesync is enabled.

Also G-sync has a lower floor of 30Hz which Freesync doesn't as far as I know.

So the extra money for G-sync could be seen as getting a higher quality implementation.

Permabanned
OP
When G-Sync was released, a module was required.
No, VRR worked in the case of many laptop panels due to the direct connection with the GPU. AMD also demonstrated it early on with some desktop panels. Nvidia just made you believe that a module was required as it was another revenue stream for them.

Soldato
So the extra money for G-sync could be seen as getting a higher quality implementation.
You would think this but if you go over to the nVidia forums, there are plenty of people who get a lot of flickering issues with G-sync. Something I would expect from an open standard with all the different variations, but not with something as locked down as G-Sync was.

Caporegime
No, VRR worked in the case of many laptop panels due to the direct connection with the GPU. AMD also demonstrated it early on with some desktop panels. Nvidia just made you believe that a module was required as it was another revenue stream for them.
I tend to believe experts in the field over a random guy on forum.

Permabanned
OP
I tend to believe experts in the field over a random guy on forum.

I never sell myself as an expert. I have been writing software though since the age of 12, proferssionaly since 16 and with my own company since the age of 21. I just turned 50, so have had varied experience in IT, but I'm certainly no expert.

mof

mof

Associate
Someone mentioned that they were testing this with 20 and 10 series cards. Is it possible that adaptive sync will work with older cards specifically 980 ti? Apologies if this has already been mentioned. Presumably the control panel option will only be there for 10/20 series cards?

Also any reason this won't work with SLI?

Caporegime
I’m not so sure.

What this means for AMD is that Nvidia now has access to a new market it didn’t have before. People with high end free sync monitors have been doggedly sticking with AMD in the hope they will provide a future GPU that can power it. Now they need not wait...

They may still have to wait, if their monitors aren't one of the 12 on the list.

They could try it themselves, but is it going to be worth the hassle, getting a Nvidia card, only to find, it has to go back, as it doesn't work with their screens sync tech.

They could always keep it i spose, and just use it normally without the adaptive-sync, or get rid of their monitor, for a one of the 12 that is compatible.

Caporegime
I never sell myself as an expert. I have been writing software though since the age of 12, proferssionaly since 16 and with my own company since the age of 21. I just turned 50, so have had varied experience in IT, but I'm certainly no expert.
It wasn't meant as disrespectful, just how I see it. Tom Peterson who was the main man with G-Sync has many accolades and patents to his name, so hence why I believe him over some random guy on the internet.

Caporegime
Someone mentioned that they were testing this with 20 and 10 series cards. Is it possible that adaptive sync will work with older cards specifically 980 ti? Apologies if this has already been mentioned. Presumably the control panel option will only be there for 10/20 series cards?

Also any reason this won't work with SLI?
I would like to think they could but may not of had the tech in the 9 series. Cool if they did though and get there at some point.

Soldato
I thought of it as a scam as no G-Sync module was required, as AMD have proven. Sales of G-Sync would have been much lower if consumers were more aware of what they were purchasing. Nvidia, while not alone, play on consumer ignorance.

Wrong sorry, There is a hardware requirement on the GPU side for supporting Adaptive Sync, hardware that's not normally needed on a desktop GPU which is why AMD's first demonstration was using laptops. This is why Nvidia needed a module. AMD had been working on adaptive sync and had built the support for it into their second generation GCN GPUs. It's why Older GCN cards aren't fully compatible with Adaptive sync despite having display port 1.2. And the Laptop standard is why First Generation APU's from AMD have support.

When G-Sync was released, a module was required. This was the only way of getting it to work on NVidia GPUs. I am sure NVidia could probably get it to work on 9 series GPUs if they wanted but earlier GPUs no chance.

As far as I am award Maxwell GPU's can't support adaptive sync, don't have the hardware. Wasn't too sure about Pascal, some people said Pascal cards did, others said they didn't, at least now we know that Pascal does.

Also just want to add that AMD were working on adaptive sync before Gsync launched. Remember the first Gsync monitor was only released 6/7 months before the first Freesync monitor. And that delay was mainly due to following the path of open certification and getting adaptive sync added to the display port standard, which took 7/8 months. So while Nvidia were first to the market, it's completely wrong to say that without Nvidia sync tech would never have appeared. AMD had laid the groundwork. They had installed the hardware needed to support adaptive sync in their cards before the first Gsync demo.

but, don't take my word for it. If you believe the industry expert like Tom Petersen then you also have to believe Robert Hallock. When he was here doing the Q&A about Freesync, I asked him that very question. He confirmed that AMD had been working on Freesync alongside the development of GCN 1.1.

Soldato
Also just want to add that AMD were working on adaptive sync before Gsync launched. Remember the first Gsync monitor was only released 6/7 months before the first Freesync monitor. And that delay was mainly due to following the path of open certification and getting adaptive sync added to the display port standard, which took 7/8 months. So while Nvidia were first to the market, it's completely wrong to say that without Nvidia sync tech would never have appeared. AMD had laid the groundwork. They had installed the hardware needed to support adaptive sync in their cards before the first Gsync demo.

but, don't take my word for it. If you believe the industry expert like Tom Petersen then you also have to believe Robert Hallock. When he was here doing the Q&A about Freesync, I asked him that very question. He confirmed that AMD had been working on Freesync alongside the development of GCN 1.1.
This is how I understood events playing out as well.

The framework for VRR was in place, nVidia chose to ignore it.

Soldato
The framework for VRR was in place, nVidia chose to ignore it.

I don't know if Nvidia or AMD knew the other company were working on a sync solution. But, the framework wasn't in place when Nvidia started working in Gsync. So, no they didn't ignore it. Adaptive sync wasn't made part of the display port standard until May/June 2014. Nvidia did a demo of Gsync in October 2013, and they didn't just come up with the demo on the spot so they would have been working on it for a while.

Soldato
I don't know if Nvidia or AMD knew the other company were working on a sync solution. But, the framework wasn't in place when Nvidia started working in Gsync. So, no they didn't ignore it. Adaptive sync wasn't made part of the display port standard until May/June 2014. Nvidia did a demo of Gsync in October 2013, and they didn't just come up with the demo on the spot so they would have been working on it for a while.
From vesa's site;
Adaptive-Sync is a proven and widely adopted technology. The technology has been a standard component of VESA’s embedded DisplayPort (eDP™) specification since its initial rollout in 2009.
The framework has been around for ages. It just hadn't been utilised by external displays or their connectors.

Back
Top Bottom