• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Volta 20 series coming Q3 2017

Caporegime
Where's this "20 series" stuff coming from? Are people really assuming that they're gonna jump from 10 to 20? Or is it people just being dumb and thinking it's only ever the first number that changes?

What sounds bigger, a larger change from 1080, and is easier to say:
A) 1180
B) 2080

No prizes for guessing

Soldato
That's not really the point. I asked where it was coming from. It doesn't seem to be an actual rumour, but rather people who can't count making assumptions.

Caporegime
Besides nvidia may not mind a bit of publicity. Let's face it if it is real, what does it actually tell us? Not a lot.

It could harm current Pascal sales but that is doubtful. Anyone clued up enough to read such a rumour would have always seen nvidia officially announce GV100 with availability in Q3 so will know that Volta could potentially release any time Q3-Q4. On the flip-side, it simply wont generate much useful publicity. Now, if this was a few day after Vega was released and vega was clipping the 1080ti by 10% say, then this could be a useful leak to get people to wait just a couple more months.

FYI, it is probably completely fake.

Soldato
It doesn't work like that. There is no globally shared "black listing" database. If the intern had finished his skint at nvidia and had a different job lined up then the absolute worst that will happen is he wont be able to work for Nvidia again, which he obviosuly would realize when doing something like that.
True I should have used a better word. However word of mouth is a powerful tool. Coupled with the fact that he posted this online with his name and face.

Soldato
speaking with a few out there, wouldnt be surprised now if Volta is bought forward. Purely because of Vega- maybe not in terms of Raw Power but in terms of not having the Latest Tech out there in the lime light.

that card could be true.... but most likely a 1180 sample with someone sticking a Titan cover over it. but still nice carpet!

Soldato
speaking with a few out there, wouldnt be surprised now if Volta is bought forward. Purely because of Vega- maybe not in terms of Raw Power but in terms of not having the Latest Tech out there in the lime light.

that card could be true.... but most likely a 1180 sample with someone sticking a Titan cover over it. but still nice carpet!

It has NVLink connectors up top, and the metallic strip found on Quadro cards. Does't seem like a real consumer card to me, more like someone doctored the shroud to say Titan where the Quadro is usually written.

Soldato
It has NVLink connectors up top, and the metallic strip found on Quadro cards. Does't seem like a real consumer card to me, more like someone doctored the shroud to say Titan where the Quadro is usually written.

its the fact this "leak" soft is done on the carpet had me laughing - *intern at Nvidia*- i have visions of Nvidia flooring being large black slate tiles or rich oak flooring haha

Soldato
Some people on other forums have made some good points, this could be a GV100 based Titan part, but it won't have anywhere near the same number of cores due to the high rated of defects in the production.

Since Jhen himself said that they get around only one good die per wafer to make V100 due to the size of the part. And even then, V100 is a cut down part.

Associate
I think it needs to be said that the consumer gaming Volta is quite likely to be a repeat of the 970/980 and 1070/1080. A chip just powerful enough to pip the larger die of the previous gen. Then in 2018 will come the larger Volta consumer chip. All the talk about the massive behomoth that is V100 Volta is going to be setting some unrealistic expectations for some.

Caporegime
I think it needs to be said that the consumer gaming Volta is quite likely to be a repeat of the 970/980 and 1070/1080. A chip just powerful enough to pip the larger die of the previous gen. Then in 2018 will come the larger Volta consumer chip. All the talk about the massive behomoth that is V100 Volta is going to be setting some unrealistic expectations for some.

If you have the budget then Ti-to-Ti is the smart move :) (and the AMD equivilent when it comes)

Caporegime
True I should have used a better word. However word of mouth is a powerful tool. Coupled with the fact that he posted this online with his name and face.

Assuming it was fake then he would still risk getting kicked out of his internship and blocked form applying at nvidia. He faces the same consequences whether it was a real Volta card or fake.

Without knowing any details i would wonder of the name badge is real or copied form someone else etc.

Caporegime

You can't just bring a whole new GPU Architecture forwards. Volta will be released when it is ready, regardless of what AMD have up their sleeves.

Back
Top Bottom