• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Volta 20 series coming Q3 2017

Associate
The internship he was on may not have been his first choice, so he may not have been particularly fussed in the field that he was working. I'm thinking of the episode of The Inbetweeners where Will ends up at the car mechanics rather than the local paper. :)

Caporegime
I think it needs to be said that the consumer gaming Volta is quite likely to be a repeat of the 970/980 and 1070/1080. A chip just powerful enough to pip the larger die of the previous gen. Then in 2018 will come the larger Volta consumer chip. All the talk about the massive behomoth that is V100 Volta is going to be setting some unrealistic expectations for some.

That is what will mostly likely happen. 2080 that will be a little faster than 1080ti will come out Q3/Q4 this year, Titan Volta maybe Q1 next year and 2080ti Q2.

The thing to take form the GV100 is that Nvidia managed to increase the CUDA core count 50% while keeping the same TDB, while simultaneously increasing the FP64 cores, FP16 and throwing in a load of new Tensor Cores, a whole new scheduling engine and kept the core clock at 1.5GHz.

For a The Big gamign aprt you will liekly see a simimilar 50% CUDA core increase and clocks at 2.0GHz. Somewhere around 20Tflops.

Caporegime
The internship he was on may not have been his first choice, so he may not have been particularly fussed in the field that he was working. I'm thinking of the episode of The Inbetweeners where Will ends up at the car mechanics rather than the local paper. :)

Even if he chose Nvidia he may have related he hated the work environment or whatever and had a great job lined up elsewhere.

Man of Honour
Prof
Assuming it was fake then he would still risk getting kicked out of his internship and blocked form applying at nvidia. He faces the same consequences whether it was a real Volta card or fake.

Without knowing any details i would wonder of the name badge is real or copied form someone else etc.

Is this even a pic of a real person

uFpWHFF.jpg

It looks like a very bad pic or something out of Thunderbirds !!!

Soldato
You can't just bring a whole new GPU Architecture forwards. Volta will be released when it is ready, regardless of what AMD have up their sleeves.

its already here!!!, least in Workstation grade, haha nothing to bring forward in designing and refining the chip. more about passing on chips to vendors to produce PCB and start tapping out the chips

Caporegime
its already here!!!, least in Workstation grade, haha nothing to bring forward in designing and refining the chip. more about passing on chips to vendors to produce PCB and start tapping out the chips

Exactly. The Gaming Volta parts are much simper, smaller and easier to produce than the GV100.

The only question is what is production volume of of Nvidia's personal 12nmFFN process? Since it is a special process custom designed for Nvidia there may not be a lot of capacity in the short term. But that probably makes the difference between seeing Volta Q3 or Q4 this year, that is all.

Soldato
GTX 1080 Ti in March and Titan Xp in April and then Volta in Q3, A decent choice would be to at least have a 12 month gap inbetween each series and bring the next gen out in January.

Caporegime
GTX 1080 Ti in March and Titan Xp in April and then Volta in Q3, A decent choice would be to at least have a 12 month gap inbetween each series and bring the next gen out in January.
Why would that be a decent choice? What is the advantage in purposely holding back technology?

Soldato
My boy was going to buy one, but the waiting was forever. Instead he bought a used 1060. So were both waiting for Volta now.

That is such a strange choice, get a card that is, what 30-40% the performance of the card (which is top of the range) you were going to buy? So you can't play your games at whatever resolution/settings that you wanted, or any where near it, for something like 9 months.

I assume than when Volta arrives, it'll be a mid-range card you buy that is the same performance as the 1080 Ti?

Soldato
OP
That is such a strange choice, get a card that is, what 30-40% the performance of the card (which is top of the range) you were going to buy? So you can't play your games at whatever resolution/settings that you wanted, or any where near it, for something like 9 months.

I assume than when Volta arrives, it'll be a mid-range card you buy that is the same performance as the 1080 Ti?

He's never had any card. This was his first choice. Why spend near £700 for something that's not going to be around long. So he decided to buy a very cheap 1060 to hold him off until later in the year. I never wanted to upgrade, my 1080 is fine. I can wait

Soldato
He's never had any card. This was his first choice. Why spend near £700 for something that's not going to be around long. So he decided to buy a very cheap 1060 to hold him off until later in the year. I never wanted to upgrade, my 1080 is fine. I can wait

I see, but it's always the same with high end cards, they are never around long. This is why you will constantly see people saying there is never 'a right time to buy' unless you happen to be buying just at the time of a new launch. 1080 Ti been around since what March? Not being replaced until next year, and then as soon as it's out and you've waited for the delivery of it, then the next one is only 7-8 months away. Etc, etc.

Associate
This is my prediction of releases over the next few years. Should all be within 6 months accurate, unless all the foundries have trouble again:

Mid-2017 to Early-2018 14nm/12nm: Vega Fury, and mid-Volta (GTX 1080 size)

Mid-2018 to Late-2018 7nm: mid-Navi (RX480 to GTX 1080 size), and MAYBE large Volta (if not then Early-2019)

Early-2019 to Mid-2019 7nm+: Navi Fury, MAYBE a later large Volta

Mid-2020 to Mid-2021 5nm: mid-sized successors to Navi and Volta from both companies. And we'll probably be complaining "where are the 8K capable cards" around now :p

Associate
that card could be true.... but most likely a 1180 sample with someone sticking a Titan cover over it. but still nice carpet!

Hey! Don't give Nvidia ideas man!

Though to be fair it looks like they beat us to it...

Early-2019 to Mid-2019 7nm+: Navi Fury, MAYBE a later large Volta

Later large Volta you say? You mean the Titan XXXX after Titan XXX the year before?

Back
Top Bottom