• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia’s ace in the hole against AMD: Maxwell is the first GPU with full DirectX 12 support

So my 780TI will or wont support it? There are very mixed messages in here, I wasn't confused before I came into the thread, but I am now! :p

I thought it didn't support it?

780Ti is Kepler so feature level is 11_0, so no it doesn't support it officially - see Gregsters comment below though.

Last edited:
So my 780TI will or wont support it? There are very mixed messages in here, I wasn't confused before I came into the thread, but I am now! :p

I thought it didn't support it?

780Ti is Kepler so feature level is 11_0, so no it doesn't support it.

The 780Ti supports most of the features of DX12 but not all (a bit like GCN)

The 780Ti supports most of the features of DX12 but not all (a bit like GCN)

780Ti supports nothing of dx12 apparently. just DX11_0 not even DX 11_1.

GCN1.0 supports DX 11_1

GCN1.1 and 1.2 support DX 12_0

Maxwell 1 supports 11_0

only nVidia cards that support DX12 is Maxwell 2 with DX12_1

And tbh it made no difference between 290x vs 780Ti back when they were released or even now with the DX 11_1 on 290x vs DX11_0 on 780Ti

So dont see what difference it will make with DX12

Like I said before all this discussion is pointless.. At best we all just guessing.

Official statement from nvidia and amd and games is what we need..
The most important feature is less overhead and more multi threading this is what will be giving us the jump in performance from directx 12..

780Ti supports nothing of dx12 apparently. just DX11_0 not even DX 11_1.

GCN1.0 supports DX 11_1

GCN1.1 and 1.2 support DX 12_0

Maxwell 1 supports 11_0

only nVidia cards that support DX12 is Maxwell 2 with DX12_1

And tbh it made no difference between 290x vs 780Ti back when they were released or even now with the DX 11_1 on 290x vs DX11_0 on 780Ti

So dont see what difference it will make with DX12

Yea the majority of gamers don't support dx12.1 so it won't affect anything. Developers won't waste time using features that almost nobody can use. Most gamers are probably using Fermi on the Nvidia side possibly Kepler and on the Amd side most likely some form of Gcn or pre Gcn.

If it doesn't support it in any respect then that is a little disappointing, but I'm not massively fussed.

I'm always one or two gens behind with my GPU's. Better used market value for money...

I got the 480 when the 6XX series came out, I got the 670 when the 7XX series came out, and I got the 780TI when the 9XX series came out. :p

With Windows 10 launching in about 3 months, you would hope to see a few DX12 titles by the end of the year.

Agreed. It would be nice to have one game on launch but I can't see that happening. King of Wushu looks a fun slasher, so that could be first out the door (Fable Legends as well?). Plus there is plenty of devs who have jumped on the DX12 train, so hopefully a steady stream of DX12 games from December.

One thing is certain though, we are relying on devs to give us the best for our hardware and I am not sure that is a good thing.

I hope developers strive forward. Whilst compatibility is great, I would rather have much better graphics and if that required me to buy a new GPU, then so be it.

One of the reason's i stopped buying hardware so often was down to seeing i did not really need it as developers stopped pushing the envelope years ago. If they start doing it again i will be more interested in PC hardware as it is the pinnacle.

One of the reason's i stopped buying hardware so often was down to seeing i did not really need it as developers stopped pushing the envelope years ago. If they start doing it again i will be more interested in PC hardware as it is the pinnacle.

Gameplay is paramount to me but gameplay and gorgeous graphics are my version of fap heaven. When I look at the PS4's version of TW3 and then compare it to my systems version, I can't help but feel a little deflated (albeit, the game is superb). And when you look at the PC games sales figures to the consoles, it is obvious we play second fiddle and from a publisher's point of view, I can understand why. If the PC was more dominant, we would get better support I guess.

Nvidia’s ace in the hole against AMD: Maxwell is the first GPU with full DirectX 12 support
Nice troll attempt Greg, there is no such thing as Full DX12 support yet as no one knows what that actually is and no one knows what AMD's full support list is.

Even the article makes that clear.

Gameplay is paramount to me but gameplay and gorgeous graphics are my version of fap heaven. When I look at the PS4's version of TW3 and then compare it to my systems version, I can't help but feel a little deflated (albeit, the game is superb). And when you look at the PC games sales figures to the consoles, it is obvious we play second fiddle and from a publisher's point of view, I can understand why. If the PC was more dominant, we would get better support I guess.

+1 lets hope dx12 kicks things into gear for PC visuals. Game play as you say is still number one with mouse and keyboard still being king for most things. Even peripherals like driving wheels still have better support on the PC.

Game Consoles is where all the money is at for Microsoft, they don't get any subscription fees from PC Gamers.

Its why they have spent the last 10 years gimping DX performance, deliberately holding PC Gaming back so it didn't eat into their Console market.

That console market depends on AMD's GCN architecture. i can't see Microsoft doing anything that the GCN architecture also couldn't do, to do so is to knowingly compromise a profitable segment of their business for one that holds no value to them.

There is nothing to suggest that this isn't also a GCN feature as part of Wider DX12 support, other than maybe and might be with nothing to support the premiss in the article, and a hyperbole title in this thread.
This came from Nvidia's marketing department. its an advert full of hyperbole.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom