Obesity

Soldato
Ha! This dude did it couple months ago, not to lose weight, but for his channel for content. He lost some weight at the start and then just kept stable until he got bored of it.

XdfKANm.png
haha cool, will check that out. I'd guess the main problem is you would still be hungry as theres not much nutritional value in them.

Soldato
But total energy alone, does not dictate the effect on the human body, or how it drives human behaviour.
It is the after-effects of having nutritionally poor calories that lead to lack of energy, bloody sugar spikes, over-eating, putting on weight, diabetes etc.

Your body stores fat due to insulin responses. It is a evolutionary thing, whereby if we came across a bounty of sweet fruit or beehive full of honey, it tells the body to store fat for later times when we might need it.
This is just 1 of many reasons why X number of calories of sugary foods will have a different effect on you as the same number of calories from say protein and veg.

I think the other thing is, BMR is hugely important. We burn most calories either at rest or while doing day to day non-strenuous activities. You can do 30 minutes on the elliptical and be lucky to do much more than 200 calories. BMR is variable, so some people really do have it easier than others.

That said I think an underappreciated thing is you can burn so many calories by just walking a lot. I'm unfit and have some health issues but can easily knock out ~1k calories in a day in extra calories if I e.g. walk to the nearby interesting town, do a bit of shopping, have a rest and walk back, which will be about 10 miles or so in total. Compared to going to the gym and doing cardio and calisthenics or weights plus a walk to and from, which will get me maybe 500 on a particularly good day but then I'll be done in. The gym is a little faster but less effective in some ways. Obviously ideally it's a mix.

Last edited:
Caporegime
haha cool, will check that out. I'd guess the main problem is you would still be hungry as theres not much nutritional value in them.

Here is the first one to kick it off. He eats a lot, mix of junk food and normal food but his content is delivery food. His weight hasn't shifted much if at all since the start of his channel. He explained how he does it, just simply fasting / calorie count.

Associate
That's exactly why I do it.

1 - Saves wear and tear on the car
2 - Saves petrol/money
3 - Exercise
4 - Gives me time to listen to podcasts

I dislike running for several reasons, some silly ones like self conscious from people watching my running looking like a fat dude who runs lol, so I used to run after it got dark. In the winter it was dangerous sometimes when there is ice on the road. The paths are also isn't all level and running down gradient is not good for the knees. Plus of course, I really do not like running. I even did the couch to 5k app, twice.

You're not alone, I don't like running either. I used to run a fair bit, started getting lots of shin splints so swapped to cycling. I much prefer cycling :D I'm 46 this year so I have to do all I can now to protect / prolong the life of my joints and cycling doesn't hammer the joints like running does.

Soldato

Here is the first one to kick it off. He eats a lot, mix of junk food and normal food but his content is delivery food. His weight hasn't shifted much if at all since the start of his channel. He explained how he does it, just simply fasting / calorie count.

Genetics is a big part of it too. I also eat a lot of crap and don't gain weight

Soldato
Genetics is a big part of it too. I also eat a lot of crap and don't gain weight
Age as well. I was properly skinny in my early 20s but it wasn't because I was calorie counting. Fast forward to my 30s and while I'm not obese I'm safely in the overweight BMI range with some occasional fluctuations into "healthy". Medication also can affect things, e.g. for SSRIs weight gain is a known potential side effect.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another key issue here that the world / social media is full of masses of campaigns of either crash diets/pyramid schemes. Most of the population that want to lose weight want a quick fix so they do some stupid unsustainable change then go back to exactly where they started or worse.

People will happily over eat for 6 months of a year and put on 1-2 stone gradually but as soon as they want to lose weight, they expect that to be done in 2 weeks with some miracle fad.

Soldato
Another key issue here that the world / social media is full of masses of campaigns of either crash diets/pyramid schemes. Most of the population that want to lose weight want a quick fix so they do some stupid unsustainable change then go back to exactly where they started or worse.

People will happily over eat for 6 months of a year and put on 1-2 stone gradually but as soon as they want to lose weight, they expect that to be done in 2 weeks with some miracle fad.
If you're deciding between the Atkins diet or obesity, please just pick obesity. Being carb deficient just makes people the worst.

Soldato
If you're deciding between the Atkins diet or obesity, please just pick obesity. Being carb deficient just makes people the worst.

I felt great doing a combination of low carb (<30g) and intermittent fasting. There's actually no such as being "carb deficient". Carbohydrates are turned into glucosse, but your body is capable of turning Protein into this through a process called gluconeogenesis, so you can literally eat 0 carbohydrates for the rest of your life and be perfectly fine. Carbohydrates are the only macronutrient that you can cut out completely and be perfectly healthy.

Soldato
Diets don't work. And you don't need to join a gym to be 'healthy'.
BMI is a load of rubbish for individuals, it was designed for population statistics.

But you can see why obesity is a ticking time bomb. So easy to get crap food, people have less time so cook less proper meals with proper ingredients.

Soldato
I felt great doing a combination of low carb (<30g) and intermittent fasting. There's actually no such as being "carb deficient". Carbohydrates are turned into glucosse, but your body is capable of turning Protein into this through a process called gluconeogenesis, so you can literally eat 0 carbohydrates for the rest of your life and be perfectly fine. Carbohydrates are the only macronutrient that you can cut out completely and be perfectly healthy.
I can't say anything about you, maybe for some it's fine, but others who I knew tried it out were just permanently ****** off and fragile while doing it.

Soldato
I think lots of the problem ironically comes from the "gym" culture. Not as in healthy functional strength that Aristole says is desirable to have, but 15 years of cheap film/media which shows the average man as a hulking heman which leads to a general consensus of bigger being better even if its not gym.

In the 80s you had "freaks" like Arnold etc that were basically outliers known for their physique, the average movie star was slim and lightly muscled. Nowadays the average actor is tall, broad shouldered and huge way beyond the average person. Being slim was then confused with being skinny for lots of men and expectations changed.

I fell into this trap myself where I convinced myself that being well over 190 something centimetres meant that being in the healthy BMI range was just skinny. My weight went up and up and I felt comfortable being "bulkier" even though most of it wasn't probably muscle. I have now learned that being slimmer is actually just more normal. I have an average frame so that's just that. Now I sit below 100kg and yes I think I do still feel "skinny" but I know its probably a lot healthier for me..

I just googled the BMI (take with pinch of salz I guess) and it says for 192.5cm a healthy range is 70kg-90kg. Incredible.

I live in roidsville central (s Wales valleys), and regularly see massive hulks. A mate who lives in England notices it every time he's here, and finds it weird and intimidating.

I'm a bit over 13 stone (84kg) at around 6 foot 3 (192cm) and I'm fairly lean. I'm in my early 50s, so I'm happy with that.

I can't get past the fact that people who consume more food are likely to put on weight. Blaming it on ultra-processed food is missing the point, in my opinion.

Soldato
I can't get past the fact that people who consume more food are likely to put on weight. Blaming it on ultra-processed food is missing the point, in my opinion.

UPF is less satisfying long term. The slower, more natural release of energy from minimally processed foods (raw ingredients prepared and cooked from scratch) provides longer term satisfaction between meals rather then a quick high and crash of UPF.

Soldato
Are all ready meals ‘ultra-processed’? I eat them regularly, mainly as I’m someone best kept out of the kitchen, but also as portion control. But I stick to things like fish pie, cottage pie, and the like and to Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference rather than the cheap products with mechanically recovered meat.

Associate
Yup. James Cracknell ran 100 miles in 5 days while consuming no food or carbs.

I personally don't think most people need to shun all carbs, unless you're trying to reverse diabetes/pre-diabetes, but no doubt people eat far too much of them.

Soldato
I can't say anything about you, maybe for some it's fine, but others who I knew tried it out were just permanently ****** off and fragile while doing it.

It takes some time to get used to, will power is required, I'd typically also give myself a "refeed" every 2 weeks where I'd allow myself carbs, I'd have a pizza or something like that which was more of a mental thing. Diets require structure and willpower, and also just an acceptance that if you want to lose weight you're probably going to feel hungry at times and you just have to deal with it.

Soldato
Are all ready meals ‘ultra-processed’? I eat them regularly, mainly as I’m someone best kept out of the kitchen, but also as portion control. But I stick to things like fish pie, cottage pie, and the like and to Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference rather than the cheap products with mechanically recovered meat.
I think generally often do meet the definition but not all "ultra processed" foods are made equal. The term really paints in broad strokes imo.

Soldato
Are all ready meals ‘ultra-processed’?

Yes, most definitely. If you're not sure if they are you're going to be shocked at what is classed as UPF.

What is ultra-processed food?​

The term ‘ultra-processed foods’ comes from the NOVA food classification system, which was developed by researchers at the University of São Paulo, Brazil.

The system places food into four categories based on how much they have been processed during their production:

1. Unprocessed or minimally processed foods: This includes produce such as fruit, vegetables, milk, fish, pulses, eggs, nuts and seeds that have no added ingredients and have been little altered from their natural state.
  2. Processed ingredients: This includes foods that are added to other foods rather than eaten by themselves, such as salt, sugar and oils.
  3. Processed foods: These are foods that are made by combining foods from groups 1 and 2, which are altered in a way that home cooks could do themselves. They include foods such as jam, pickles, tinned fruit and vegetables, homemade breads and cheeses.
  4. Ultra-processed foods: Ultra-processed foods typically have five or more ingredients. They tend to include many additives and ingredients that are not typically used in home cooking, such as preservatives, emulsifiers, sweeteners, and artificial colours and flavours. These foods generally have a long shelf life.

[*]Unprocessed or minimally processed foods: Fruit, vegetables, eggs, meat and grains.
[*]Processed culinary ingredients: Sugar, salt, butter, lard, oils, vinegar.
[*]Processed foods: Freshly made, unpackaged bread, tinned fruits and vegetables, salted nuts, ham, bacon, tinned fish and cheese.
[*]Ultra processed: Ice cream, ham, sausages, crisps, mass-produced bread, breakfast cereals, biscuits, carbonated drinks, fruit-flavoured yogurts, instant soups, and some alcoholic drinks including whisky, gin, and rum.

As a rule of thumb it's anything with 5 or more ingredients and containing chemicals for sweetness/stabilisers/preservatives/binding...which is basically everything we buy.

I eat them regularly, mainly as I’m someone best kept out of the kitchen, but also as portion control. But I stick to things like fish pie, cottage pie, and the like and to Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference rather than the cheap products with mechanically recovered meat.

Why not just batch cook the items you mentioned, portion them up and freeze them. You're worrying about MRM while consuming masses of unnatural ingredients.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom