Obi Wan Kenobi (Disney+)

Associate
This is the reality of streaming services. They are doing what Netflix has done, which is to build a big catalogue of "content" that you consume and in doing so have ended up creating cookie-cutter content. In Disney's case, they have decided to exploit their existing $$$ franchises, rather than try and create original content or buy rights to other works. In a lot of ways you can see it coming with the amount of new Star Wars and Marvel shows they are making on a yearly basis, you are not going to get the same level of care and detail as may have happened before.

Hopefully, we still get some good shows out of it but I doubt it.

Caporegime
This is the reality of streaming services. They are doing what Netflix has done, which is to build a big catalogue of "content" that you consume and in doing so have ended up creating cookie-cutter content. In Disney's case, they have decided to exploit their existing $$$ franchises, rather than try and create original content or buy rights to other works. In a lot of ways you can see it coming with the amount of new Star Wars and Marvel shows they are making on a yearly basis, you are not going to get the same level of care and detail as may have happened before.

Hopefully, we still get some good shows out of it but I doubt it.
This seems harsh and uninformed. There is plenty of new non Star Wars and Marvel content, and many series. You just need to look around! Off course people talk more about the Marvel and Star Wars stuff, but to be honest those things are the flavour of the moment and are very popular, and not going anywhere fast!

Netlfix (probably fastest shrinking streaming platform) and D+ (probably fastst growing platform) no comparison in my opinion. At the end of this year I would not be surprised if I cancelled Netflix but I'll keep D+.

rp2000

Caporegime
:D

LOL!!! Like i'd pay to watch this crap!
Off course, it's much easier to criticise when you haven't paid anything for the content :D

"I downloaded some thing for free and it was crap" Great story bro.

Edit: I was going to delete my comment, but I'll leave it anyway for transparency. I just find it weird that so many people in this sub forum just come into threads to criticise series and then continue to watch and criticise said series. It seems to be mainly Star Wars, Marvel and Star trek but I'm sure there are others! It just makes no sense to me. But I am relatively new to this sub forum, so I think my replies may be a bit harsh, for which I apologise.

rp2000

Soldato
Edit: I was going to delete my comment, but I'll leave it anyway for transparency. I just find it weird that so many people in this sub forum just come into threads to criticise series and then continue to watch and criticise said series. It seems to be mainly Star Wars, Marvel and Star trek but I'm sure there are others! It just makes no sense to me. But I am relatively new to this sub forum, so I think my replies may be a bit harsh, for which I apologise.

I would say there's no need to, most people in here wouldn't be offended by someone posting their opinion even if it was different from their own and, for me, it doesn't seem harsh at all. To possibly answer the "why continue to watch it" part (and I think I've posted this before recently) I'd suggest a mix of two reasons, the first being that they're fans and so will watch irrespective of enjoyment just to see new stuff and, for some the second reason could be in the same way that "rubber-neckers" act as they drive past a car crash, they're just curious as to how much worse it could get.

That seems to be the two main reason I can think of of fans who don't like this to keep watching.

Caporegime
I would say there's no need to, most people in here wouldn't be offended by someone posting their opinion even if it was different from their own and, for me, it doesn't seem harsh at all. To possibly answer the "why continue to watch it" part (and I think I've posted this before recently) I'd suggest a mix of two reasons, the first being that they're fans and so will watch irrespective of enjoyment just to see new stuff and, for some the second reason could be in the same way that "rubber-neckers" act as they drive past a car crash, they're just curious as to how much worse it could get.

That seems to be the two main reason I can think of of fans who don't like this to keep watching.
You're right, probably thick skinned people in here!

I must confess I watched 3 seasons of star trek discovery hoping it would get good then gave up. And I should have given it up earlier, but as a semi fan I gave it time. I don't think I posted much about it anyway, as that thread was already full of a lot of negative commentary!

I think I expected this sub to be different to GD, graphics, consoles etc, but seems people are just as passionate or angry in this sub :D

I only post in the threads of shows I like, as a general rule.

rp2000

Associate
This seems harsh and uninformed. There is plenty of new non Star Wars and Marvel content, and many series. You just need to look around! Off course people talk more about the Marvel and Star Wars stuff, but to be honest those things are the flavour of the moment and are very popular, and not going anywhere fast!

Netlfix (probably fastest shrinking streaming platform) and D+ (probably fastst growing platform) no comparison in my opinion. At the end of this year I would not be surprised if I cancelled Netflix but I'll keep D+.

rp2000
Maybe I have been harsh. I take your point there is but they are not made by Disney as far as I am aware, although some of them are on their platform. I think most just find what is occurring frustrating as there are glimpses of some great potential in Obi-Wan and if you are a Star Wars fan, then you want them to do better. You certainly don't want to get to a point where it becomes, who cares when new content comes out.

Making good TV/Movies is hard, even with everyone's complaints. Maybe we expect too much and have high standards but some of the problems seem like they could have been easily avoided with better writing.

Probably not the thread for it but I think the next few years will be interesting for streaming in general as all the big entertainment companies now have their own platforms. Most people don't want to be paying for a load of subscriptions, especially in the current climate.

Soldato
Off course, it's much easier to criticise when you haven't paid anything for the content :D

rp2000

So basically critique in your eyes boils down to one's finincial investment or lack thereof.

What is weird about people who care about their culture wanting to discusss it?

Is this the shut up and consume argument again? Sorry but these schoolyard level arguments aren't fooling people anymore.

We had this crap from no less than G RR Martin this week, when he basically said if you like for example early Trek, you should like all because it's Trek...

This from a man who cannot be bothered to finish the series that made him richer than Creosus thereby letting down millions of his own fans who he then claims should just buy anything he puts his name to and then stfu...talk about entitlement and bad faith. Unbelievable.

Apology accepted.

Caporegime
Maybe I have been harsh. I take your point there is but they are not made by Disney as far as I am aware, although some of them are on their platform. I think most just find what is occurring frustrating as there are glimpses of some great potential in Obi-Wan and if you are a Star Wars fan, then you want them to do better. You certainly don't want to get to a point where it becomes, who cares when new content comes out.

Making good TV/Movies is hard, even with everyone's complaints. Maybe we expect too much and have high standards but some of the problems seem like they could have been easily avoided with better writing.

Probably not the thread for it but I think the next few years will be interesting for streaming in general as all the big entertainment companies now have their own platforms. Most people don't want to be paying for a load of subscriptions, especially in the current climate.
Disney is huge now. People forget, fox NBC, Hulu, fx and various other channels/platforms are all funded/part owned by Disney so the content is on D+

Off the top of my head, what we do in the shadows, orville, dopesick, only murders in the building. A lot of this stuff is only on D+ in UK whereas in USA it's on other platforms too. So to me it's Disney content. But I know most people will think of marvel and star wars, due to the film side of Disney's history.

Anyway, really off topic now. Maybe deserving its own thread it I can be bothered!

rp2000

Soldato

rp2000

I’ve made the point so many times, mainly in the Star Trek threads but also here. The usual contributors seem to want to torture themselves by watching something they don’t like.

The irony that @Darujhistan cant see that by watching something they don’t like is that they are doing exactly what the person he is quoting and disliked said he should do and watches it anyway.

The industry works on viewership, a view is a view no matter if that persons opinion was negative or positive. The industry used to work against piracy, now they actually realise that it’s a symptom of issues with distribution and not programming. A show that is heavily pirated is a popular show so they make more of it while encouraging people to view it legally (aka pay for it).

Loads of people watched EP8 but it was bad so they didn’t go and watch Solo and the film did terribly despite not actually being bad. Do you know what they did? Oh yeh they stopped making Star Wars films because people didn’t want to watch them and went back to the drawing board.

If you don’t like this, stop watching it, stop engaging with it and they will stop making it. It’s that simple.

Even YouTube work on the same basis, watching the video and giving it a dislike is far better than just not watching it.

Caporegime
I’ve made the point so many times, mainly in the Star Trek threads but also here. The usual contributors seem to want to torture themselves by watching something they don’t like.

The irony that @Darujhistan cant see that by watching something they don’t like is that they are doing exactly what the person he is quoting and disliked said he should do and watches it anyway.

The industry works on viewership, a view is a view no matter if that persons opinion was negative or positive. The industry used to work against piracy, now they actually realise that it’s a symptom of issues with distribution and not programming. A show that is heavily pirated is a popular show so they make more of it while encouraging people to view it legally (aka pay for it).

Loads of people watched EP8 but it was bad so they didn’t go and watch Solo and the film did terribly despite not actually being bad. Do you know what they did? Oh yeh they stopped making Star Wars films because people didn’t want to watch them and went back to the drawing board.

If you don’t like this, stop watching it, stop engaging with it and they will stop making it. It’s that simple.

Even YouTube work on the same basis, watching the video and giving it a dislike is far better than just not watching it.
Yep, I sort of feel like this, but it seems its not a popular opinion here so I'll leave it for now :) like you I use the dislike function on Youtube a lot and sometimes the thumbs up and down on netflix too.

I'm sure I probably dissed Discovery in the thread here (can't recall) but then I just voted with my feet and stopped watching when it became too far from the star trek I loved.

Back on topic:

Many media sites have the same story that the writers know about the canon and how to fix it in the final episodes. I must confess I am surprised that the writers think they know more about the universe than ocuk members. :D

My prediction is they will tie things up, but the hardcore fans (of which star wars has many) won't be satisfied either way!

rp2000

Soldato
Back on topic:

Many media sites have the same story that the writers know about the canon and how to fix it in the final episodes. I must confess I am surprised that the writers think they know more about the universe than ocuk members. :D

My prediction is they will tie things up, but the hardcore fans (of which star wars has many) won't be satisfied either way!

rp2000
The only way they can 'fix' this to follow established cannon is if there's a bunch of Jedi mind tricks that wipe everyone's memory in the show - which is ironically what a lot of hardcore star wars fans want to happen in RL with this ;)

To be honest though I expect however they wrap this up it won't be satisfactory to a lot of star wars fans and when you hire writers that have no clue about established lore this is what you get, a below average TV show, which is par the course for D+.

Soldato
Yep, I sort of feel like this, but it seems its not a popular opinion here so I'll leave it for now :) like you I use the dislike function on Youtube a lot and sometimes the thumbs up and down on netflix too.

I'm sure I probably dissed Discovery in the thread here (can't recall) but then I just voted with my feet and stopped watching when it became too far from the star trek I loved.

Back on topic:

rp2000
Yup same, I stopped watching discovery Part way through S3 and never bothered with Picard S2 despite not actually disliking the first season.

You are correct that the ‘fans’ will not be satisfied either way. I’ve not read the links as to be honest I prefer to go in ‘cold’ to everything now. I certainly don’t watch the nonsense reaction or ‘analysis’ YouTube videos posted here.

That’s not to say this series is a brilliant masterpiece, it isn’t but it’s ‘just fine’. It very much ticks the box when you just want to sit down after a long day at work, switch off your brain and be mildly entertained for 3/4 hour.

As much as the hardcore fans love star wars and get well into its lore, it’s never actually been a serious story, the fans make it that. It’s only ever been a mildly humorous western in space that’s never taken itself seriously, that’s exactly what I like about it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The only way they can 'fix' this to follow established cannon is if there's a bunch of Jedi mind tricks that wipe everyone's memory in the show - which is ironically what a lot of hardcore star wars fans want to happen in RL with this ;)

To be honest though I expect however they wrap this up it won't be satisfactory to a lot of star wars fans and when you hire writers that have no clue about established lore this is what you get, a below average TV show, which is par the course for D+.
I agree, but the creators of the show/writers say they do have staff who were very focused on canon and lore (it's in the article). So whilst fans may not like the end result its a bit rich to say fans know more about the Lore than the creators/writers imo.

Yup same, I stopped watching discovery Part way through S3 and never bothered with Picard S2 despite not actually disliking the first season.

I must confess I stuck with Picard S2. Wished I hadn't but there is only 1 season left and the nostalgia value in seeing the TNG crew again is very strong!

rp2000

Soldato
I agree, but the creators of the show/writers say they do have staff who were very focused on canon and lore (it's in the article). So whilst fans may not like the end result its a bit rich to say fans know more about the Lore than the creators/writers imo.
So they're purposely ignoring established cannon and subverting people's expectations (aka ******* people off) because ep 5/6 are so good that everyone will ignore the previous 4? That worked so well with films 7/8/9 didn't it.

Or, the writing team on this project don't have a clue/think they know better. I know what my money is on..

Soldato
I'd also add that the staff they have focused on lore etc are the same ones that mocked fans reactions to Luke's appearance at the end of Mando S2, these aren't the guys you pin any hopes on rectifying what's gone on in the 1st four episodes.

Soldato
How to make Leia forget Ben, that's gonna be harder......

I agree, however I can see Disney saying "well in Ep4 Leia didn't 'specifically' say she didn't know Kenobi (even though it was implied) so we're not having her forget him" as a cheap cop-out from the hole they continually dig themselves into when they retcon so much.

Back
Top Bottom