Obi Wan Kenobi (Disney+)

Associate
The flashback scenes didn't work for me, because they didn't de-age them well enough. Lucas was adamant in his production of Star Wars that everything looked believable, at least the original trilogy, he was most excellent at fooling the audience with the sets and locations but those flashback scenes among others were just bad. This whole series is lacking the tricks to make us think it looks real. I think they just don't care enough about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
The flashback scenes didn't work for me, because they didn't de-age them well enough. Lucas was adamant in his production of Star Wars that everything looked believable, at least the original trilogy, he was most excellent at fooling the audience with the sets and locations but those flashback scenes among others were just bad. This whole series is lacking the tricks to make us think it looks real. I think they just don't care enough about it.

They should have kept at a distance if they didn’t want to invest in proper de-aging I’ll give you that

Soldato
im going to get slated, but that ep was woeful, from the stevie wonders in storm trooper outfits to the cgi effects made by a 3yr old. an ep that you could easily compress to 5mins long. hopefully just a blip

Caporegime
I'm really confused about the power of the light saber now. It seems being skewered with one is not fatal to the sith at least! But Vader was so badass he didn't even need the saber. Proper force fighting! hopefully he uses the same techniques in next week's inevitable showdown on some sandy planet

rp2000

Soldato
Probably the best episode so far - but thats not saying much!

Still far too many "huh?????" writing moments which just make no sense (mostly mentioned above) and the small size of "The Volume" really hurts the scale (dozens of people all crammed together would be a shooting gallery for even a blind person) but the music, the flashbacks and the overal tone were adequate this episode.

One thing I noticed in the Vader/Kenobi Quarry fight and throughout modern lightsabre fight scenes in general - The blades kick out wayyyyyy too much light vs the OT & PT lightsabres. Even in daylight or well lit areas there's a 6ft glow around every lightsabre which just doesn't happen even in darker scenes in the OT & PT, and it makes these modern scenes look like florescent light tubes being waved around. I know it may make sense in our reality (lightsabres are bright etc) but it doesn't really match canon/lore for them to be so OTT bright.

Soldato
I suppose I'm in the 'had a long day at work, come home to enjoy fun tv' category.

Loved that episode. The flashbacks and mirroring the present. Awesome. Also Vader wow.

Sgarrista
Commissario
One thing I noticed in the Vader/Kenobi Quarry fight and throughout modern lightsabre fight scenes in general - The blades kick out wayyyyyy too much light vs the OT & PT lightsabres. Even in daylight or well lit areas there's a 6ft glow around every lightsabre which just doesn't happen even in darker scenes in the OT & PT, and it makes these modern scenes look like florescent light tubes being waved around. I know it may make sense in our reality (lightsabres are bright etc) but it doesn't really match canon/lore for them to be so OTT bright.
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that you could catch a tan from them.

Man of Honour
im going to get slated, but that ep was woeful, from the stevie wonders in storm trooper outfits to the cgi effects made by a 3yr old. an ep that you could easily compress to 5mins long. hopefully just a blip

I generally found it woeful as well - there was some neat stuff like tying the flashbacks into understanding how to beat Vader, but far too many bits where I was just left face palming at how incredibly dumb things were.

Soldato

That's because the original trilogy light sabres were just rods where the light effect was added afterwards, so no light was cast from the weapon. If they'd had the ability to make them glow for real they would have done it, but it wasn't practical with the lighting systems available back then -they just wouldn't have been able to power them, and they would have been too fragile.

The modern props have LED lighting so you get the proper glow on the actors and environment. They're basically very similar to the master replica collectors item light sabres you can buy which light up when you turn them on. (I have two of these on my wall :D )

Caporegime

Most people seem to have enjoyed this episode but I think I am with you.

Maybe toss the thermal detonator through the door when Reva first broke through, rather than save it?

And one minute obi-wan was in handcuffs kneeling on the floor, and the next he is free, killing storm troopers behind the door? I know they concocted a little plan in full view of a battalion of troopers, but showing us what happened might have helped.

Also I thought the 'hidden' ship taking off behind the one Vader destroyed was as bad as Leia hiding under a cloak.

And they left Reva for dead? And what does that garbled message actually tell her about Luke and Leia? Nothing really.

Soldato
That's because the original trilogy light sabres were just rods where the light effect was added afterwards, so no light was cast from the weapon. If they'd had the ability to make them glow for real they would have done it, but it wasn't practical with the lighting systems available back then -they just wouldn't have been able to power them, and they would have been too fragile.

The modern props have LED lighting so you get the proper glow on the actors and environment. They're basically very similar to the master replica collectors item light sabres you can buy which light up when you turn them on. (I have two of these on my wall :D )

I understand why, I just don't like it. It also doesn't cover the CGI Prequels either which don't have as much bloom. My guess is that, as these are now actual LED tubes you can whack against each other without breaking and therefore a practical effect, rather than CGI/Rotoscoped, thats the reason for the vastly increased bloom, I think it just looks very wrong to what previous Star Wars looks like (irrespective of what the toys/replicas look like in our reality).

Soldato
Someone called it that Reva was actually gonna go after Reva.

I was expecting them to show anakin and not just Vader after all the hype when they said harden will be in it.

Did the grand inquisitor warn Vader he was stabbed I wonder.

Where the heck was that ship hiding lol

Of course obi wan list that transmitter. Why did reva have to find it, kill her off already

Caporegime
Could Reva be trying to earn favour with Vader to get closer to him and eventually try and assassinate him? I assume she was the youngling who escaped at the start of episode 1.

Obviously she can't blame Obi wan for order 66 when she's working for the man that literally attacked the jedi temple and killed the younglings, so that's my theory.

She's playing the long looooong game.

Also - totally called that.

Soldato
Can anybody explain where the second cargo ship suddenly appeared from after Vader force pulled the first one back and destroyed it? Because in all the previous shots there was only the one ship in the dock. Oh, and why did Vader, a bloke who had no qualms about butchering multiple children, leave Third Sister alive? That makes no sense at all.

Soldato
I just don't find the Third Sisters story compelling. So she was a Youngling and hid in plain sight with the Inquisitors who are force users and Vader who is a Sith and was able to hide her feelings so they didn't catch on. I don't buy it. Force users in the films seem routinely capable of sensing each others emotions.

Although the ending makes it clear that Vader already knew of her planned betrayal, but knowing and using it temporarily would be different to knowing for years and ignoring.

Just didn't sit right.

I would have preferred she threw herself wholely into becoming a dark side user with maybe a momentary change of heart before dying a last gasp ephphany as a consequence of chasing Kenobi and seeing a true Jedi.

Soldato
I just don't find the Third Sisters story compelling. So she was a Youngling and hid in plain sight with the Inquisitors who are force users and Vader who is a Sith and was able to hide her feelings so they didn't catch on. I don't buy it. Force users in the films seem routinely capable of sensing each others emotions.

Although the ending makes it clear that Vader already knew of her planned betrayal, but knowing and using it temporarily would be different to knowing for years and ignoring.

Just didn't sit right.

I would have preferred she threw herself wholely into becoming a dark side user with maybe a momentary change of heart before dying a last gasp ephphany as a consequence of chasing Kenobi and seeing a true Jedi.
You should be a writer. That's a much better portrayal then the pap we've got.

Back
Top Bottom