Obvious Things That You Have Just Realised.

Don
My wife thought that a fire hydrant was called a 'fire hydrogen'. She was excited to see one when we visited San Fransisco.

When I asked her to explain the name, she paused and said.. "There's a gas supply of hydrogen under the city under high pressure. When they need some water, the release it into a pipe, then it mixes with oxygen in the air to create water."

Terrific explanation, but horribly wrong :D

Soldato
^That just triggered a memory.

Wasn’t there someone on here who thought a passenger jet was lighter on landing due to people eating the food and going to the toilet?

Soldato
Anyone old enough to remember the kids tv show Captain Pugwash? For years I thought they had actually had characters named with innuendo which wouldn't be understood by kids. Seaman Stains, Master Bates and Roger the cabin boy. Unfortunately it turned out to be an urban myth.

Associate
You're not alone there....I only found that out a couple of years ago!
That after 25 years of driving the fuel symbol on the dashboard has an arrow that tells you which side you put the fuel in!

97_E41_A99-560_D-4286-_A8_AD-_F0_E4151_FFC41.jpg

This is amazing information. I have always just made a 50:50 guess when coming up to a petrol station in a hire car for the first time. I'm hiring a car tomorrow, so will ensure that I proudly and smugly use this new information to impress / irritate my long suffering family, as though they would be simpleminded fools not have not already known such a thing.

Soldato
This is amazing information. I have always just made a 50:50 guess when coming up to a petrol station in a hire car for the first time. I'm hiring a car tomorrow, so will ensure that I proudly and smugly use this new information to impress / irritate my long suffering family, as though they would be simpleminded fools not have not already known such a thing.

Indeed, I only found out about it a few years ago myself, fortunately BEFORE I started driving many different models of cars!

Permabanned

Haha. I know, i can’t stop checking in every car now lol.

Associate
Not me, but when my old school friends and I met up in our local a few years ago (when we were around 30) we discovered that one guy thought a toilet seat was for women only and had been, his entire life, sitting on the ceramic when going for a number 2... Once we had finished laughing, we enlightened him. The next day, we got a group message saying that he had just tried the seat and that he had the most comfortable poo of his life!

Associate
Not me, but when my old school friends and I met up in our local a few years ago (when we were around 30) we discovered that one guy thought a toilet seat was for women only and had been, his entire life, sitting on the ceramic when going for a number 2... Once we had finished laughing, we enlightened him. The next day, we got a group message saying that he had just tried the seat and that he had the most comfortable poo of his life!

Hasn't this guy already posted in this thread? (post #40)

Soldato
I always wondered why something was a damp squid when it disappoints or fails to excite. Because clearly a squid is always damp. So this isn't really an obvious realisation but it's not squid, it's actually a damp squib which is a form of firework or explosive.

Caporegime
I always wondered why something was a damp squid when it disappoints or fails to excite. Because clearly a squid is always damp. So this isn't really an obvious realisation but it's not squid, it's actually a damp squib which is a form of firework or explosive.
The squib in question was the fuse on top of a Cannon in the navy which was lit to make the powder explode, thrusting the cannonball out of the cannon at great velocity. Being in the navy the squib was to be kept dry at all times for a damp squib meant no explosion and no thrusting of cannonballs.

Permabanned
OP
I came across a chap that was so sure that airplanes did dump all the remaining fuel when landing in case an accident occured...

He's almost right, I think that is true when an airliner is forced to attempt an emergency landing soon after take off, they will dump [ safely obviously ]
the majority of the fuel to prevent a potential fireball.

Back
Top Bottom