OcUK Beers of the World Weekly Results - Belgium (and D-F Voting)

Associate
MrsSeakitchens was Tesco's Finest Belgium Abbey beer. She'll have to post what it tastes like.

Mine was a gluten free belgium. As for my tasting notes, I'll just say what I sent in my Email to DJ...
"There's nothing like a really nice Belgium beer. And this is nothing like a really nice Belgium beer. It's pretty rubbish. With a slight hint of vomit. Avoid completly."

Oh, and yes, those ARE OcUK beer mats. If anyone is going to the next i-series you might well see them about. I'm trying to work with Valkia to see if any of them remain after i-series if we can donate them to entrants in these threads, but can't promise anything yet.

Soldato
Oh, and yes, those ARE OcUK beer mats. If anyone is going to the next i-series you might well see them about. I'm trying to work with Valkia to see if any of them remain after i-series if we can donate them to entrants in these threads, but can't promise anything yet.

I didn't even notice that first time round, pretty cool. Beer and geeky stuff, what I love! Would be good if you could get some, I'd have no problem sending a stamped address envelope to get them. Or you could offer yours to the winner. ;)

I'm going to assume that Denmark, England and France are the next ones and going to buy accordingly.

got my french entry, not sure how popular it is but i like it so its going in, Czech should be interesting, Denmark more so!

The French just aren't known for their beer, I honestly can't think of anything apart from Desparados. Whenever I've been to France, I just drink those little stubbies. I wonder if Saint Omer would get me 3 points?

I have my Czech beer, it's a 3 pointer but it's bloody horrible. Not looking forward to it. I know what Danish 'brewery' I'll be drinking, but not sure which beer yet.

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Denmark
England
France

the Rose Hoagaarden is VERY fruity lol.

Tried a few of the American ones after seeing them in last weeks, Goose Island, that moon one, brooklyn lager and another... Wasn't impressed at all and the Goose Island one smelt like burned out scalectrix lol.

Suprised no one had Leffe Brun, its lovely stuff

Soldato
My Belgium beer was a MIKKELER & struise colab if any one is interested, very good beer from very good brewerys;)

My D brewery is picked also not sure what beer to go with though :p

Ah, another Mikkeller man. My use of inverted commas when I mentioned brewery was because I was referencing him. Made some awesome things, but I'm a total hop head so I kind of have to love him.

Woohoo 3 pointer :)

Pretty strong and tasted quite nice only bought one bottle would like a few more :D

Where'd you pick the Delerium up from? I've heard terrific things about it, but never actually drank any of their stuff! :o

France is going to be interesting I think.

I agree, and along with DJ I'm struggling to think of any 'special' ones. The only thing that comes into my mind is Kroenburg (spelling), Saint Omer (and associated wee stubbies) and Desparados (bet not many people knew that was French!)

I have no idea what I'll enter, nor where I'll get it from. One of the best beer shops in Glasgow don't stock anything from France! :o

Soldato
OK, here are the ratings of the beers drank given by Beeradvocate. It's a rating website for beer, and is usually pretty accurate. I've given the user voted score rather than the owners of the site score. Many beers have hundreds (or thousands) of votes. Not all beers were on there, but these are listed as they are in the OP. Thought it might be interesting. If you guys want, I can do this for each week?

Leffe Blonde: 82
Trappistes Rochefort 10: 99
Duvel: 96
Tripel Karmeliet: 94
Elliot Brew 10: 88
Westmalle Trappist Tripel: 95
Hoegaarden Rosé: 72
Fruli: 78
Vedett: 79
Delirium Nocturnum: 88
Satan Gold: 83
Delirium Tremens: 91
Chimay (Blue): 95
Hoegaarden: 87

Aceface wins with the Trappistes Rochefort 10. A truly amazing beer, and one I (and I'm sure he) will urge you to try.
Sorry Divine, but not much is thought of your beer!
I'm very surprised by the low rating of Leffe, especially compared to Duvel. They are very different beers, sure, but I'd have them being of equal ranking in their respective fields. I feel Duvel may have such a high rating as it's probably the most common one on the list. By this, I mean that Leffe should be higher and not Duvel lower.

Obviously, these numbers aren't really important but are kind of interesting. My whole view about beer is that as long as you're prepared to try new beers then that's what matters. If said beer is thought to be terrible, then who cares. We only drink for ourselves! The great thing about beer is that there is so much out there and no matter your tastes you will find one you like. I guess the competition and my life aim is the same - TRY AS MUCH BEER AS YOU CAN!

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Denmark, England, Finland.

My lack of entries so far has been due to an unexpected extreme lack of finances. I'll join in as soon as my situation changes

OK mate that's not a problem as your space will be kept open for you :) As for voting cheers though it's been decided as Denmark, England and France. Your Finland was never going to catch France as it had 12 votes to your 5.
Hope your circumstances in the money dept. change for the better but fear not as the leaders are only on 6 points to date :)

Caporegime
OP
Well I've just cracked open a Belgian beer here, a nice big 750ml bottle of....

20120812204740193.jpg

...and it's Goooooooood! :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Yes indeed Hank_Marvin thanks for the inspiration :D I actually find this in flavour as just as enjoyable as the Leffe Blonde, though this holds its head longer and has the typical cloudy wheat beer look. Very very nice indeed! Only thing missing is ...well you know ;)

Back
Top Bottom