OcUK & Cutters Rolling Road Day 19 @ Powerstation (Tewksbury) - Saturday April 25th 2015!!

He won't be changing the mains unless he takes the box off and gets brave with the cam timing chain....
Leave well alone there! there will have been little to no extra load on the mains from the over rev.\

Oh and some back up from Rich and BMW engine builder we know, 8200 MAX on all the race cars they do.
With the shrick cams they use, the power is at peak revs and beyond but the revs are limited to that for the very reason you have just found out!

Thanks Andy and thank Rich for me, I shall tell the guy I do not need the mains bearings, because I will admit that is beyond me and he is not willing to supply those for free anyway and like both you and Rich (true experts) they should be un-damaged.

Even the guy offering the parts has said he is not willing to do the mains for FREE simply because they won't be an issue, even BMW do not change those out on the recalls simply as they are rarely if ever an issue.

But it is good to hear the same from you and I've already told him the limiter shall be reduced to 8000rpm, not 8100 or 8200, but 8000 where BMW put it. :)

£60 + vat I believe although you'd better ring to confirm that as I try to stay out of the office as much as I can :D

Presuming that's an hours labour then. Cheers, I may have to pop in at some point if there's not another meet soon.

1/2 hr labour as it's about £120 pr hr in the dyno.
It's the workshop rate that is around £60 an hour.

Bladdy handbrakes, I missed more than one car I think. :o

Cheers for clearing up.

I've bought a new intake for the car and once fitted, to be honest, I'm tempted to just drive up to Warrington to get a full days tune rather than fanny around with sending logs to and fro.

I'm getting the intake off the S6 soonish (probably the bank holiday weekend after the next one) and giving it the chimney sweep treatment. So I wouldn't mind another RR session soon either.

Well if the M3 lives again, it shall be going back to make sure it is making full power and AFR is good.

BMW quoted me £487 for new pump and £297 for an oil cooler. :eek:

Got an oil cooler of a 2006 car that had a rear-end crash, so guy is selling all front-end including engine, so grabbed his oil cooler as £50 is far better than £300.

Plus I am not wanting to re-use my oil cooler because if there still is any debris in the system the oil cooler is the most likely place for it to be.

Well if the M3 lives again, it shall be going back to make sure it is making full power and AFR is good.

BMW quoted me £487 for new pump and £297 for an oil cooler. :eek:

Got an oil cooler of a 2006 car that had a rear-end crash, so guy is selling all front-end including engine, so grabbed his oil cooler as £50 is far better than £300.

Plus I am not wanting to re-use my oil cooler because if there still is any debris in the system the oil cooler is the most likely place for it to be.

Mightn't it be worth asking how much he wants for the engine?

Mightn't it be worth asking how much he wants for the engine?

£1800, but I know of at least 3 M3 engines for sale at the moment, one at £1200 and running fine.

I am hopeful mine will be fine, if the worse has happened, then yeah I will buy an engine and move the new shells/bearings over to that engine.

But all the engine builders I've spoken to are saying looks like it has being caught early, they all said if I'd actually spun the shell I'd really know about it as in the knocking would be loud all the time or be a hole in it. Just gotta wait and see. Plus a huge thanks to Andy who has being helping me a lot via phone. :)

Ordered 15l of 5W-30 to flush with, correct oil along with several filters, vanos filter, gasket and tuner is supplying the bearings and bolts. Might be optimistic but am trying to aim having car back on road and healthy by next weekend, unless of course the engine needs replacing.

Perfect.. Although I think you might be pushing it for next weekend unless you have a few days off work ! Don't rush it FFS, any steps you're not sure of, ASK!!

and I think you might need to let me know about the £1200 M3 engine. :o
My E36 could do with something with a bit more ****** :D

Assuming you can get hold of the replacement this week/weekend, car back on the road by bank holiday Monday then ;)

I don't think the parts from USA will arrive in time for that buddy. :(

Weather is now turning bad at weekend, might book Friday as due to clear blue skies.

Hi there

Got on with some more dismantling for an hour tonight.

Steering coupler bolt removed and separated, very easy:

aba7cfeff7495ae64180000e8162ff32.jpg

Then thought I'd work on slackening the subframe bolts as thought they might be hard, well that was no mistake, lots of hammering, penetrating oil and more wacking I finally got all four lose with a breaker bar:

9858c92938c94f3dd6e0618835fa4768.jpg

I've removed only one completely as plan is to take it a bolt supplier tomorrow and get something twice as long. As my plan is to use much longer bolts simply for the process of being able to lower the subframe a lot more than just an inch to give a lot more room but whilst still keeping it supported. :)

Just gotta drop fresh oil through now and get all lines disconnected, replace oil cooler and well ready for pan to come off and change the shells.

Surprised how easy it's coming apart to be honest. :)

Back
Top Bottom